Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 04:02AM

Good Mormons are organizational loyal. Some people like to hire them for that reason. I never fell into that categorization. Actually serving a mission and attending BYU just showed me other members of the church were not towing the church line either. The church was just a social phenomenon we all had to deal with. It was a bit of a joke. The old patriarchal leadership and the bureaucracy they swam in put on a show for us and we put a show on for them. Much like you put a show on for a college professor that you think is full of it. The indoctrination and brain washing never took hold. I was always amused about these old out of touch old guys who didn’t understand us trying to figure us out and steer us into what they wanted us to be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 05:27AM

Employers are that way, too. I've sat in a number of meetings where I've thought to myself, tell them what they want to hear, because they've made it abundantly clear that they don't want to hear the truth. It's like missionaries fudging the numbers for first discussions.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 06:22AM

It's like dealing with drunks. The main job is to not piss them off.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 06:13AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good Mormons are organizational loyal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rOPRdjrlJE

the Book of MORmON church is a believer's club

believe for the sake of believing, for the sake of having faith, as long as a person believes in whatever LDS Inc is selling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5eqps2O7s8

> The church was just a social
> phenomenon we all had to deal with.

The leaders of the Book of MORmON church are counting on it!!!

> I was always amused about these
> old out of touch old guys who didn’t understand
> us trying to figure us out and steer us into what
> they wanted us to be.

Unfortunately, the old out of touch predatory POS that run the Book of MORmON church SCAM, are in touch enough with human needs to have successfully exploited people enough to have accumulated over 100 BEEillion in liquid reserves besides all of the real estate holdings that they have.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:46PM

I thought I had to not lie to the bishop. I am one of those people who others can tell when I'm lying. I lived it because I also believe, but my experience as a mormon wasn't that good. I never fit in. None of my family fits in to the lds church. But I toughed it out while my siblings were falling by the wayside.

And then I ran into gay. I was very well aware they didn't have a clue what they were talking about, but who else do I turn to? Well, I could have talked to my dad, but they told me not to. He told me years later that gays are born that way. He couldn't believe I would marry someone gay until he heard the story. Dealing with the leaders and the insanity to do with gays. And THEN the temple. OMH! If that doesn't make you stop and say WTF!

I had a so-so friend from high school who looked me up after she went on a mission. She wanted to go to the singles ward with me. She told me that first time we saw each other how the temple had almost sent her running from the church and later she did leave. I hadn't been through yet. The temple is just too bizarre.

I don't like to deal with those types of people who think they are in authority over me, but I dealt with it for all those years. I love being free from that.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 02:55PM

Me too....if I was told in church to read something...I didn't. My parents never once told us to study the scriptures. We were a "church is for Sundays" family even though my dad was EQP and HC and mom was ward RS prez.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 12:30PM

My dad never had a higher calling than ward clerk, which he hated. His jobs were usually something like locking up the church in the evening. He taught Blazers for a while once. They loved him.

My parents never read scriptures and I don't think we had any in the house except maybe a blue book of mormon and a bible. When I was in seminary and they told us we had to read the book of mormon (first year of seminary), I was surprised. I read it quickly so I'd be done with it. I don't think I ever got anything out of the book of mormon. We did have a family prayer at night kneeling. My mom insisted and my dad would yell for all of us as he was irritated. It was the same prayer, bless every person in the family by name (just our family and eventually grandkids, etc.). My mom would throw a fit about FHE now and then and dad would force us to come up to the front room and we'd have a lesson read out of the manual. They'd make me play the piano while everyone hardly sang. That was it.

We spent so much time on the farm together as a family that I always couldn't understand the idea of FHE as none of the other kids in the ward spent time as families like we did. Our farm was 20 miles from Brigham in Corinne, so others didn't have farms.

So we were the Sunday mormon family, too, although my dad only went to priesthood usually. Sometimes sacrament meeting, but he had irrigation on Sundays, so he spent half the day irrigating and half resting.

So a lot of the stuff that they were telling everyone to do, it wasn't part of our lives. In fact. Sunday evening was the night dad got hamburgers and malts for everyone for dinner. My mom would complain about keeping the sabbath day holy while she ate hers.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 12:51PM

"The old patriarchal leadership and the bureaucracy they swam in put on a show for us and we put a show on for them." Yes!

I was so busy proving to my extreme Mormon family, and Mission pres and companions and community at BYU that I was the perfect Mormon that I never stopped to think about any of it on a deep level. I was the opposite of you. Pro authoritarian? And, no sense of self outside of their eyes. They were my mirror.

Miracle I got out of that. Now. About as Anti authoritarian as you get.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.