Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 04:16PM

This is a big change for BYU. Good heavens, pretty soon they are going to allow them to have coffee pots in their apartments.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/09/23/byu-changes-strict/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 05:01PM

*After the first two semesters
**Does not apply to Idaho or Hawaii

LOL

The church control over what landlords can and can't do has been ridiculous. I'd like to know what precipitated this change.

This will force first year students to live in controlled housing- I'm guessing mostly on campus.

I can't believe I went to such a weird school. It's embarrassing to think the church and school had such control of my life and I was too stupid to do anything about it.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 07:07PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe I went to such a weird school.

MORmONS are not weird. Gordon BS Hinckley said so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphnhNopWUo

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 06:48PM

That is just one reason why I would NEVER attend a religious owned university

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 01:32AM

2 semesters in the Idaho Mormon Gulag was enough for me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 06:51PM

Good. Part of the mission of a university should be to facilitate students in becoming adults. When the university acts as a nanny, that defeats the purpose.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 09:02PM

summer Wrote:
> Part of the mission of a university should be to facilitate students in becoming adults.

Part of the mission of BYU is to act in loco parentis.

> When the university acts as a nanny...

...parents are happy.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 11:14AM

The church will willingly nanny you into your grave and promote itself over your dead body.

Date: September 23, 2021 07:02PM

gemini Wrote:
> This is a big change for BYU. Good heavens,
> pretty soon they are going to allow them to have
> coffee pots in their apartments.

LDS Inc's DI is now selling used coffee makers, (FTR, my MORmON parents would have $hit over such a thing) instead of just throwing them away, because they want their MOReMONey (principle) instead of standing for their other supposed WOW principles.

Maybe LDS Inc bought stock in a coffee ???

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 07:20PM

Interesting. I attended BYU before all of the "BYU Approved" housing restrictions.

When my son went to BYU-I, I couldn't believe what I was reading when it came to those restrictions. The one that got me the most was where it said opposite sex visitors should be restricted to only living room/kitchen areas AND...an opposite sex person should be discouraged from using the apartment bathroom!! I believe there was language that the opposite sex person should go to an apartment of someone of the same sex, or go to a restaurant/gas station to use THEIR bathroom. Of course there was also the "No opposite sex folks in the bedroom area", midnight curfew, and roommates encouraged to rat others out. There was also some provision that you had to have a roommate(s)...no individual apartments.

I told my son, "Usually, when you leave home to go to a NORMAL college environment, it is LESS restrictive than what you are experiencing living at home." I wonder if these changes will apply to BYU-I as well.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:14AM

No, the rule change doesn't apply to BYU-Idaho or BYU-Hawaii. Reading the article, I think the church authorities were specifically concerned about Provo, where restrictive church contracts with apartment communities often applied to non-Mormon renters as well. IMO the church feared a lawsuit in this regard.

So instead of the church acting in a more rational manner, this is more likely a case of the church protecting its financial assets. Nothing new under the sun.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:22PM

The using your own bathroom is probably a good idea, it's a some what private section of a house and most young people go through a whole semester without tidying up, germs, mold, everywhere, youngsters ate pigs...

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:23PM

Are pigs, not ate pigs,

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 08:58PM

They have been living in the fifties as usual. Up until the revolutions of the sixties, the main social assignment for universities was to prepare the students for adult life according to the prescribed social roles. Women were to become homemakers and men were to become captains of industry. Remember that up until that time the only people who even went to college were the scions of the upper crust. As part of the contract, universities took on the duty to ensure sexual restraint among their young charges.

The sixties changed all that. University changed from being a finishing school for rich kids to training centers for future workers. The need for schools to supervise the students' social development vanished. But the leaders of the LDS church have not moved on. They still see little point in actually educating anybody, but rather they see universities first and foremost as places to instill social traditions in their pupils.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 11:26PM

It's where you send your kids to finish getting them church broke.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 11:32PM

All I had to do to get out from under all the restrictions imposed at/by the Y was to get married!  Then I could do whatever I wanted, subject to a few minor, hardly noticeable rules and regulations . . .

Date: September 24, 2021 12:35AM

The idea that was really locked into my mind by going to BYU was "Fuck BYU !!" and apparently I was NOT the only one.

FTR, I was a very straight, obedient type of person, but when It comes right down to it, I am proud to say that I apparently have never really been much of a MORmON. BYU's ongoing unrelenting insistence that I must be doing something wrong and that I needed constant heavy handed correction even when I had done nothing wrong had a lot to do with my prevailing negative sentiment. The other issue was BYU taking so much of my money while also making academic progress so difficult and such a nightmare, essentially halting my academic progress.

POS BYU would NOT accept some college credits from Ricks College, a fellow member of the mighty LDS Inc MORmON CES. ........FUCK BYU !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKM7orX1V8

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 01:01AM

You can read about Brigham Young's dealings with the Timpanogos people here: http://www.timpanogostribe.com/

BYU's namesake used sacks of flour laced with ground up glass in his genocidal religion-fueled mania. Was it heavy metal poisoning? End stage syphilis? Demonic possession? Who knows what took his sanity?

The best thing BYU could have done for you is give you a deep hatred of the place. They feed you the philosophical equivalent of ground glass.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 02:08AM

I was a BYU landlord for 2 years. God, that was a tough life. The off-campus students had to use only BYU approved apartments and houses. But the landlords also have to keep the school happy by turning in kids who might be having sex, by making sure no student of the opposite sex stays past curfew, by swearing this, by swearing that. And then God help you if one of your renters turns out in for some perceived sleight. Like when the boys in the upper apartment were wrestling, and jumped on the couch. It broke the frame clean in half. So I had to get them another couch. Within 2 weeks, they did the very same. So after removing the couch, I was in no hurry to replace it. After a few days, I got a call from the BYU housing office claiming that there is no sofa in the apartment. I told him what happened, but he didn't care; everyone needs a sofa, no matter how many get broken. But I regress.

In spite of any bad memory, I am happy for this change in the rules. For so many of us here, we have lived in some pretty dodgy, expensive apartments, just to keep BYU housing office god pleased.

Date: September 24, 2021 04:03AM

Am I to understand that making them pay for the replacement sofas was not an option available to you?

Date: September 24, 2021 10:01PM

Something like that. The blunt end of the situation was that apartments are supposed to have a couch. End of.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 10:28AM

Hmmm. Two people of the same sex wrestling? You should have told BYU that they were naked. Voila, new tenants and no broken couches!

Date: September 24, 2021 10:00PM

Guys wrestling is a bit too gay for me, personally, to do. My foster father, a wrestling coach, tried to force me into wrestling, which all western states Mormons seem to call "rassling." I hated it, especially that part about two guys kneeling, and one of them tucking his arms between the butt cheeks of hiss opponent. Just couldn't do it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:05PM

Well that should cause a populatiion increase

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:20PM

I couldn't imagine going to BYU. There were things about the church that seemed like too much like I never went to any of the pageants and I didn't go to temple dedications. I went to a youth conference there and I hated every minute. My sister went to BYU after a year at USU as she thought USU was too big of a party school and she did some partying.

As I think about those creepy control things about the church, I'm less surprised that I'm out. Actually, my sister dated 2 gays at BYU. We didn't realize they were gay until after I married my husband and one day it just clicked for both of us. And they actually ended up being together all these years, though they worked at BYU until retirement, and have never come out of the closet, but they've lived together for 45 years or so. Then she came home from BYU and met her husband in little Brigham City.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 12:22PM

Can anyone tell me when they required students to live in only BYU approved off campus housing. When I went to BYU in the late 60s I never lived in any large apartment complex. I lived in various small apartments around town. A couple of basement apartments, and eventually a large house with many rooms. To my knowledge and memory none of them were restricted by BYU policies. I know we broke the “no person of the opposite sex” rule regularly. Again, I don’t think there was any rule that you had to live in BYU approved off campus housing. Does anyone know when off campus housing had to be BYU approved?

Date: September 24, 2021 12:56PM

Bobo, obviously I was there at the same time as you, but because I got married at the end of my first year, that rule got thrown out the window.

What I do remember is that my g/f, then-fiancee, and her five roommates did occasionally mention in passing that they were subject to the BYU rental rules and that I and another roommate's boyfriend had to be out of their apartment by a certain hour.

I was released mid-semester, September 1967, and my last senior companion, as well as a boon companion, found and rented the basement I lived in, with two roommates.

Weird how that worked... One roommate was engaged to a girl in that apartment unit and set me up with one of her roommates, the Canadian who loved to pet and dry hump, but would then demand that we pray for forgiveness at the end of the date...

So then I moved on to another roommate and when after a month of dating she proposed, I said, "Why not?", no doubt at the urging of my starving-for-affection/injection penis.

Date: September 27, 2021 01:19PM

Yes, I understand the concept….only enough blood to use one head at a time…..

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 08:34AM

The housing rules go back at least to the 1960s when I started at BYU. There were plenty of small/basement apartments and the like, but you had to sign a boilerplate housing contract approved by BYU. It was mostly the landlords that had to jump through hoops. The student basically just had to "sign here".

The university kept a list of approved housing, and you either had to choose from that list, or qualify for a "living with family or in a house/apartment owned by your family" exemption. And yes, they checked your address when you registered for classes.

ETA: I knew families that purchased Provo apartments/houses so they could send their kids to BYU and the apartment qualified for the exemption. If you had enough kids spaced out over several decades, you could keep that apartment filled for many years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 08:38AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: September 27, 2021 01:14PM

Ok, I guess none of my landlords were sticklers at enforcing the BYU rules because we didn’t get any hassle for having friends over…even overnight. Now, I think the big complexes like Monte Vista had curfew, etc….but I never stayed in any of those. Ok, that horse is dead…thanks for the input.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 05:24AM

They still have to live by the honor code though. About the only thing this changes is that the landlords will no longer be babysitting them. There is still a very strong chance that roommates and others will still have a vested interest in ratting out students who do not comply.

Posted by: NventOR ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 05:50PM

Yeah, right!

I lived in Provo (not attending the whY) in the leighties and roommates and landlards were always trying to get in your business.

Once, a co-ed YaY gal friend was visiting (our 3 bedroom, 1 bath, no kitchen/ living room, happy humpty couple upstairs) apt./ me at my place (I was the only one with my own room).

As soon as we got down the stairs and into my bedroom, the landlord knocked at the door. I answered and said "no, there's not a girl that came in with me". He left, up the stairs... and we ran out a few minutes later.

I got home after dark note on the door that said to vacate tonight. I wasn't ready for a vacation just yet (it was late winter). I contacted housing authority and told them about the note, AND the living situation. They ordered an inspection the following day, and wrote up a nice piece of paperwork that said the place wasn't up to standards [had NO Common Areas], and sent a copy to the landlord, obviously.

I left at the end of spring quarter and had yet Another Great Summer!

I'll live where I want

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.