Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 02:50PM

...wishful thinking:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2021-09-23/elder-bednar-europe-gathering-restored-gospel-rising-generation-and-teachings-of-the-holy-ghost-225830

Insane Church News and the unscrupulous Bednar claim that a few meetings a new "gathering" doth make.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon 4 this joke ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 03:13PM

New mormon-themed card game -

Tragic: The Gathering

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 10:35AM

"THE GATHERING"
Quick!!!!!
Somebody write an Alien Invasion "documentary" using that title

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 03:36PM

They cling to the hope that a gathering — no matter how insignificant — will occur somewhere delightsome.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 03:52PM

I can't believe I read that whole thing.

Excerpts & Comments:

"...the power and effects of gathering, the restored gospel, the rising generation and the teachings of the Holy Ghost."

This is the first time I've heard, that I remember, the term 'gathering' used by the Mormons. I sense they imbue it with significant spiritual power or something like that.

“The opportunity to gather and the power associated with gathering was very evident,” Elder Bednar said. “We live at a time when there is increasing commotion and chaos in the world, and that will continue.”

What would we do without this Mormon guy affirming that commotion and chaos will continue? :)

Seems to be the general state of the world at any given moment throughout all of history.

I can't help but think Jehovah's Witnesses are extra-busy lately too with their prophecies of impending doom due to current world events. I was thinking the other day that they must be loving the pandemic. "There will be wars and rumours of wars, pestilence" etc etc etc.

These end times faiths are hellishly depressing to me.

"Bishop Elia expressed his wish to pass on his learnings to his ward members..."

'Learnings'? I've never heard this word being pluralized. I looked it up and found a reference to NASA and its "learnings" so I guess it's OK then. :)

But it sure doesn't sound like great English usage.

"Sister Sibylle Fingerle, a Europe Area organization adviser who attended the Stuttgart meetings, said that through Elder Bednar’s teachings, “I felt through the Holy Ghost that the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles do care about the women in the Church."

I don't know if this lady meant her comment in this way but as stated it seems to indicate that she had had doubts about whether the head guys cared about the church women or not. She needed the Holy Ghost to confirm for her that they do? Sad. I mean that literally. I feel for them.

"Elder Cook said he witnessed “many Latter-day Saints who were weighed down with challenges be lifted as Elder Bednar encouraged them to draw strength from their covenants and ordinances, including partaking of the sacrament weekly.”

I don't mean to be snarky but it's difficult to imagine that any SM anywhere, at any time, ever, could be all that inspirational at the best of times. These may not be the worst of times for people but pretty damn close for many.

(Cook said) “With the COVID situation, it felt like a miracle that we were in Europe. I felt the protection and guiding hand of the Lord."

I wonder how much of a miracle it will seem if their "gathering" not to mention overseas travel results in an uptick of virus cases amongst them.

Not that I wish it upon them, or anybody, at all, of course. But it's sure risky given what's going on with the pandemic right now. Even if no outbreak occurs among the attendees it was still a risky event to move forward with, plus the travel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 03:54PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 24, 2021 04:24PM

Bednar is giving old Joe a run for this money.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 01, 2021 04:55PM

Maybe Bednar has a few Eastern European brides squirreled alway.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 08:13AM

When I served in the 1990s, there were three missions in the German-speaking Alps: Austria Vienna Mission, Germany Munich Mission, and Switzerland Zürich Mission. If there’s only one now, that’s damning evidence of the LDS Church shrinking in Alpine Europe, not growing.

Besides, mission and area conferences are yawnsville. They aren’t evidence of a damn thing other than holding a meeting. Tell me that Mormons filled Allianz Arena to capacity over several days and that would be something. Tell me Bednar let a bunch of missionaries fellate his ego on a European vacation: who cares?

Tyson

Date: September 25, 2021 01:09PM

Interesting point about 3 missions dissolving into 1, Tyson.

Yeah re yawnsville - I thought that too - the article makes it all sound so exciting but the reality is the opposite. And do they ever change it up a bit for some variety? I think not. I hate to say but I found it all such a big fat waste of time. All that anticipation and then crickets on the revelation or inspiration front.

I honestly feel more inspired by reruns of TV shows and documentaries I enjoy where people are interacting pleasantly with each other in families and doing good in the world.

I've often wondered why the Mormons have to make it all so repetitious, dull and uninspiring. My first thought in the middle of the temple ceremony I first saw in SLC was that I can't keep on doing this over and over. It seemed to last for a hundred hours and they made it sound like Satan was the good guy. I actually thought I was hallucinating in that stuffy place. Because isn't that backwards?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 03:01PM

Since the brethren know the church is in trouble in Europe, Bednar was probably blown away that more than a handful of people showed up. Now if only they would gather for sacrament meeting each week.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 03:20PM

Switzerland, in fact, now has NO missions. The German speakers are under the so-called "Alpine German Speaking Mission," now a catch-all for the former missions in Switzerland, Austria, and Bavaria. Ireland has no more LDS mission(s). Ditto Holland. Spain went from 6 missions to 3. Italy went from 4 missions to 2, and I have a nagging sense that it will eventually drop back to one mission. Germany, like Spain, went from 6 missions to 3. At the church's peak in the UK, they had 8 missions. This went down to 7 first, and now down to 6.

Mmm. The smell of success, it is.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 08:49AM

Kabuki theater

Date: October 01, 2021 04:58PM

Kabuki since 1820.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 09:13AM

I have heard anti-vaxxer arguments that the covid spike in the US is proof that the anti-vaxxers are correct about why people should avoid the vaccines. My reality-distortion abilities are insufficient to be able to recreate their argument for that, but I have heard it.

That being the case, Bednar and company claiming that the water slowly covering the deck of the SS Mormonia in Europe really made it more valuable beachfront property does not amaze me. Some people's ability for self-delusion is nearly infinite.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:59PM

I just heard this on a newscast, the mistaken idea that vaccination is causing the variants. French virologist Luc Montagnier, unfortunately, supported this idea during an interview and gave it traction on social media.

Here are some facts in a Healthline article from June 2, 2021:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/no-vaccines-do-not-cause-new-sars-cov-2-variants#block-a878f2dc-2f9b-4773-9fbc-a2f4ab3cb753

"Peter Stoilov, PhD, an associate professor of biochemistry who is leading the SARS-CoV-2 variant sequencing efforts in West Virginia, described Montagnier’s argument as “completely bonkers.”

“The fact on which he bases his argument is that mutations can change epitopes that the immune system has learned from the vaccination, and this gives some selective advantage to the virus. Consequently, in his mind, this would ‘create’ new, more dangerous variants,” he said.

"However, Stoilov pointed out that “selection does not cause new variants to emerge; it merely selects some of them.”

“Mutations and variants occur randomly and independently of vaccination or any other selection process. In fact, they may precede selection by years or millennia,” Stoilov said.

"He further explained that the mutations defining the current SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern emerged before vaccines were created or became widely available.

"He added that they emerged in multiple independent unvaccinated individuals from across the globe, and they continue to reoccur randomly in unrelated lineages of the virus.

"Stoilov said it’s a well-established fact that selection does not cause mutations.

“The facts that Dr. Montagnier ignores are that, while vaccination may select for some variants, it is still effective at suppressing them and the overall effect is a dramatic reduction of infections and a milder disease when the virus manages to break through the vaccine,” he said.

"Stoilov said that Montagnier is not only mistaking correlation for causation with his claim, but that he isn’t even using a viable correlation to make the argument.

“The variants of concern frequency increase correlates to some degree to the onset of vaccination. But, this is the same as claiming that pirates are causing global warming. This correlation merely reflects the similar times it took for the virus to mutate and spread, and for us to develop the vaccines and start applying them,” he said.

"If vaccines were creating new dangerous variants, then Stoilov said we would see proportionately more new variants emerging over time among vaccinated populations than with unvaccinated parts of the world.

"There would also be a lot more diversity among the virus variants in countries with high vaccination rates, and increased disease spread and mortality among vaccinated people.

“We see nothing of that. In fact, we see exactly the opposite,” Stoilov said. “In places with high vaccination rates, the case numbers and mortality are dropping; virus diversity is limited to few (one to three) variants; and, so far, no new variants are emerging among vaccinated populations.”

-----

Please, people, if you are accessing medical information from social media, check the sources. If it's your neighbour's sister's hairdresser maybe look further afield to obtain accurate information from reliable sources who actually know what they're talking about. Look stuff up!

And double check even those with jobs and titles that make them sound reliable. The article above refers to a virologist who, most unfortunately, is responsible for spreading misinformation about variants and vaccines. The writer also states:

"Stoilov pointed out that although we tend to give a lot of credence to the authority of Nobel laureates, this does not necessarily mean they always know what they are talking about.

"One example he pointed to was Kary Mullis, who won the Nobel Prize for co-inventing the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique.

"Mullis went on to deny that HIV causes AIDS, which was untrue. Yet, former South African President Thabo Mbeki followed his advice by rejecting antiretroviral therapy. This mistake in trusting Mullis’ expert status ended up costing hundreds of thousands of lives."

The article also explains how mutations arise.

I know it's not everybody's area of interest to delve into science or medicine and some of the information can be confusing or challenging to understand without some background in the subjects.

But the basics are presented in a form that most people should be able to comprehend in articles such as the one above and on reputable newscasts every day.

I know those sources which generally one accesses alone are slower to consume and perhaps do not offer the immediate gratification that many find in quick little tweets and a flurry of responses online. But the question is whether a person wants to find out the truth of a matter or if they just want to play online and fall into the trap of following false prophets.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 11:35AM

Why the need for masks? Just looking at these publications about “Elder Bednar” and his clowns makes still me sick that I ever believed they had any power at all…

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 11:45AM

"Gathering"

Mormonism: trying make normal words sound speshul and sperchul since 1830-something.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 12:06PM

Gathering sounds creepy, like a zombie movie on Netflix.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 02:47PM

New York had a "gathering" and a "rising generation" too.

It was called Woodstock.

Posted by: Irish Rosie ( )
Date: September 28, 2021 11:45AM

Delusional. Mormons are unheard of in Europe. Here in Ireland We have been in lockdown until only days ago. Religion in general was on the wane before, let alone now. And that’s for Church of Ireland and Roman Catholicism. Mormons are non existent. What does strike me though is that TBMs continue to speak and write as if they are 16th century puritans. I guess it never occurs to them how forced and artificial it come across.

Date: September 29, 2021 02:11PM

Good to hear from Ireland!

"Mormons are non existent".

Interesting to know.

Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 01:39PM

Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles became the first senior leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to travel in person on an international assignment since last year’s COVID-19....

Like all narcissists the fact that his name is there for everyone to worship feeds his ego..it is a need that can never be filled. He is an empty straw in reality. sickening!!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 02:28PM

"international assignment"

Something of great import, we suppose: "my name is Bednar, David Bednar: momo agent 009, licensed to thrill you with my self-importance.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 07:07PM

Praise to the Bednar who communes with the teleprompter

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 07:11PM

European Mormons would be gathering in the other direction if they were situated in the southern hemisphere.

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 04:30PM

Mormon leaders do nothing but put on a big show for the tithing payers. Are they cooking the stats and telling lies? of course.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: October 01, 2021 12:31PM

rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormon leaders do nothing but put on a big show
> for the tithing payers. Are they cooking the stats
> and telling lies? of course.

I had enough of being told that I was too stupid to record the correct stats as ward clerk. We had it out at his house one Sunday afternoon. I had defended the honor of delivering reasonably honest data, even cooked the numbers by 25 people hiding in empty bathrooms, going to McDonalds~ whatever!

It wasn't good enough.

So I drew a line in the gravel in the driveway. We were not seeing eye to eye. I told him: Just tell me what number you want. He turned his back and walked away from me.

From then on, I gave him a number between 270-325 for sacrament attendance.

I also foolishly walked up and down counting heads. How bad was my fudge?

A good SM attendance would be 165 inside with 20 more lurkers added. Nowhere near 300, but that stopped the fighting.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2021 12:38PM

“The struggle to find a truthier truth when mere facts are insufficient . . .”

— Jesus saves, the Holy Ghost scores!

Date: October 01, 2021 01:27PM

An honest person won’t stay in the church long. You will either leave on your own or be excommunicated because you refuse to live and tell the lies the leadership wants you to.

Remember one of the Ten Commandments is not to bear false witness. You always please God living honestly and telling the truth. You don’t have a problem, the church leadership do.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 12:23AM

If I lived anywhere near Adam-on-di-oh-man in Missouri and was a ward clerk, I would count every Sunday as the big old Sac-ruh-meth meeting that is to happen before Return of the Jesus-i. That would be like 10 billion or so, right? Imagine the budget that ward would get! Baptisms would be really low though...I guess the 10 billion most righteous ever would still make a lousy Proclaim the Gospel committee.... Fuckers!!!

Date: September 30, 2021 04:37PM

The truth is baptized Europeans went through the church faster than grease through a goose. The goose is hardly eating but still shitting. Bednar is pointing at the shit saying look at what we have done!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2021 06:23PM

... it just occurred to me...  It was all about 'Gathering' during the 19th century and into the early 20th century...but at some point in the 20 century the likelihood of a convert being of a brownish hue, as opposed to White & Delightsome, became a significant percentage...

Is it possible that despite being able to hold the priesthood, Brown & Dedarksome were not qualities Utah wanted to promote?

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 12:30AM

Oh...and to respond to the topic at hand, if faith to believe that miracles don't happen is any indication of the corporate direction of this thing, maybe they are getting around to needing to have "faith not to gather" as evidence of the growth of the kingdom. And when they would say faith not to gather, that means even in the local meeting places...or anything like that. You know the church is just damn huge in locale X because everyone is exercising the faith to not be present and counted...or participate...or send in checks. They are really working on the sending in checks part though. Faith to not pay tithing is something that will never be an option though.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 10:55AM

Those funny, funny church leaders certainly have a way with words.

Devin G. Durrant gave a talk and told church members to "Ponderize" what he had said to them.

Later, he fessed up and said that he had made up the word, and defined it as "80 percent pondering of scriptures and 20 percent memorizing".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.