Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 12:10PM

"At night, the pyres for the dead light up the sky.
It's medieval..."

"Red Dawn" (1984)

Your life is worth more than tribal or cult loyalty.

Better to live as one who is thought of as different than one who conforms to please others and is dead.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/26/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

COVID-19 is killing so many people in Idaho that some funeral homes are running out of space to store the bodies as coronavirus deaths continue climbing in the US.

"We are working nonstop. We're exhausted. We're frustrated. ... Funeral homes are out of storage. Our hospitals are out of storage. It's just become quite a mess," Dotti Owens, the coroner for Ada County, Idaho, told CNN Saturday.
The county bought a mass fatality trailer late last year to accommodate a larger number of bodies, and that has also become near capacity in recent weeks, Owens explained. "Now we're packing them in there. Our internal cooler is full," she said.

Idaho has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the US, with 41.3% of its total residents fully vaccinated as of Saturday, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The only two states faring worse in fully vaccinating their residents are West Virginia (40.3%) and Wyoming (41.%).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2021 11:30AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 12:24PM

"What doesn't kill us makes us STRONGER!  What does kill us makes us DEAD!!"

--Idaho Potatoheads for Jesus

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 12:37PM

I saw that. I think that one of the most shocking sights from last year was the refrigerated trucks parked outside of NYC hospitals. And now Idaho has their own refrigerated trucks.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 01:02PM

"Mass fatality".

Haunting.

You'd think that phrase would get people to take note.

Scary to think of only 40% of population vaccinated.

Here in BC we're at 71.7% and that's not enough. I can't even imagine 40.

What does it take to get people to see reality that's staring them in the face? Not to mention mortality.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 01:18PM

This is so discouraging. People here in Idaho really don't give a crap. I rarely see people wearing masks or paying the slightest amount of attention to the issue, other than bitching about their freedumb.

I think on the local news yesterday they said 6 Idaho teachers have died. No one gives a crap because they want to teach their kids masks are bad simply to "own the libs."

People use religious exemptions to avoid the COVID vaccine, but did they use it for the other vaccines in the past? Heck no.

The health care workers I know are exhausted and discouraged since they get zero support trying to deal with the endless stupidity and selfishness. All people care about is if they personally survived the infection. Screw everyone else, because freedumb.

The craziest part is that the anti-vaxers are royally being played and used as political pawns. They don't get that most of the people flaming the issue to keep them riled up quietly got vaccinated themselves. I wish they would all volunteer at the morgues to get a reality check.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 01:24PM

...is the number of healthcare workers who have decided not to take the vaccine. NPR's "Morning Edition," has two stories about them this morning. Here is one:

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/23/1039228806/nurses-are-in-short-supply-employers-worry-vaccine-mandate-could-make-it-worse

From the article:

"When Pam Goble first heard that President Biden was mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for health care workers, she had one thought: It's about time.

Goble is owner and CEO of Ability HomeCare, a pediatric home health care agency serving 900 children in San Antonio, Texas.

Of her 261 nurses and therapists, 56 have declined to get the vaccine.

"I am one of those people that really feels everybody should have their choice," says Goble. She did not impose her own vaccine mandate even as the delta
variant drove a spike in COVID-19 cases among her employees and the families they serve.

A N.Y. Hospital Will Stop Delivering Babies As Workers Quit Over A Vaccine Mandate

HEALTH
A N.Y. Hospital Will Stop Delivering Babies As Workers Quit Over A Vaccine Mandate

Now she's concerned that her unvaccinated employees may refuse to comply with the federal mandate once it's implemented later this fall.

"We would have to let people go," she says. "I worry if our patients, who are medically fragile children, are going to get the care they need.""

When I heard this story, I almost immediately thought of some lines from the Donna Fargo country song, "You Can't Be A Beacon," from 1974; to wit:

"How can you ask a child to be honest and true
When he can only judge what's right by what he sees in you."

These healthcare workers, many in rural areas, are setting a bad example. Unfortunately, as noted in both stories, even though the percentages and numbers of healthcare workers that have not been vaccinated is a minority, right now our healthcare agencies need all hands on deck regardless of their vaccination status.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 02:38PM

I live in the panhandle of Idaho and the right-wing-conspiracy-rhetoric is off the hook. Nextdoor is blowing up with accusations of government cover-ups and how to hate the libtards. The gun-toting protesters were out at the local school board meeting demanding NO mask mandates for public schools.

I was vaccinated a year-and-a-half ago and I just found out I got a breakthrough case of COVID. My symptoms are light and it looks like I will recover - and I'm super glad that I had the vaccine on-board.

Still the mormon owners of my place-of-work are unvaccinated. They have bought into the whole conspiracy thing. Their prized worker, a young mormon married woman, told me she didn't want to get vaccinated because she was trying to get pregnant. She got COVID and came back to work a couple of days early because they need the money. Now I've got it. I hate her for putting the rest of us at risk. Turns out I'm her boss and I COULD fire her but I know the mormons would not have it.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 02:50PM

Yesterday, the Governor of Washington told the Idaho Governor to do something because "Unvaccinated Idahoans are clogging up my hospitals" Stupid, selfish morons.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 02:57PM

Inslee should send them packing. Hospital staff should be saying, "Sorry, you have your own hospitals."

Date: September 26, 2021 03:32PM

A universal mask mandate, along with weekly pool testing, is *saving* my school system. My own school (where mask compliance is excellent) has only had four positive cases among the students. The students came to school visibly sick, were sent to the health suite, given a rapid test, and sent home. Apart from those few cases, our pool tests have all come up negative so far. I attribute that to excellent mask compliance.

A twelve year old girl has been hospitalized with Covid. Twelve is old enough to get the vaccine. I realize that it can be a tough decision for parents, but the consequences of not being vaccinated are stark.

Date: September 26, 2021 03:38PM

> Twelve is old enough to get the
> vaccine. I realize that it can
> be a tough decision for parents

I think you're being too kind...   How hard was it to decide to get all the other "normal" vaccinations?  We now have a new "normal" . . .

Date: September 26, 2021 07:05PM

EOD, I agree with you. If it were *my* child, and the child was eligible, I would definitely have them get the Covid vaccination. But I think for some parents, it's one thing to get the vaccine for themselves, and quite another to have their children vaccinated. I get that.

Soon, parents of 5 year-olds will be making that choice.

My mom told me how she and my dad had to make the agonizing choice as to whether to vaccinate my brother for polio (I think it was the Salk vaccine that they were discussing.) The polio outbreak was so bad that summer that she and dad felt there was little choice. They made a good call. My dear brother just turned 75. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 07:06PM by summer.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 07:35PM

When a child steps on a rusty nail, parents sure run and get him a tetanus shot (or at least I hope). And yes, there's a sore arm from that one. But we've all heard those "Lock Jaw" stories.

How would it feel to know your loved was was laying in a refrigerated truck? I would sit by the truck all day--if I knew which truck it was.

Date: September 26, 2021 07:36PM

And I'd be crying, "Where are you, My Love?'

Date: September 26, 2021 08:22PM

Sigh. Poignant image. Thank you.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: October 01, 2021 06:38PM

To pile on a little more. . .

Here in Moscow, ID we have 66 High School students out with Covid this week, and likely more to follow. In the infinite wisdom of the School Board and Superintendent, they decided that a homecoming dance two weeks ago, would be a good idea.

More students and staff may be testing positive through the weekend.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 02, 2021 01:09AM

Geeze. That is horrible :(

Posted by: indoctrinatedsincebirth ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 04:31PM

There wasn't a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine a year and a half ago. This novel coronavirus was just starting to rear it's ugly head hold in the U.S. at about that time.
Please explain

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 02:56PM

It's a mess, but I've quit caring about the unvaccinated who die. I've got no more sympathy left. I'm tired. I'm really tired. Even when I read the articles about children who lost a mother one week, and a father the next, and are now being raised by relatives, I just think, "Meh." I'm so done with this.

Date: September 26, 2021 03:40PM

...every death has the potential of speeding up every trip to and from the golf course, not to mention opening up more tee times.

I didn't ask them to kill themselves~~~

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 04:50PM

The golf courses with alligators are self-cleaning.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 03:29PM

It's fascinating to watch natural selection work in real time. I've become hooked on r/HermanCainAwards; the MAGA self-owning is amazing to behold.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 04:56PM

Let it never again be said that Americans are rational people. Not all cults are religious.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 04:04PM

I have been away from Idsho for almost two weeks travelling in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. I have seen more masks here than in Idaho but am not sure what vaccine rates are here. People have a right to not vaccinate. Not sure the unvaccinated have a greater priority for ER beds than vaccinated people with genuine other health issues not caused essentially by choice.

PS. White River fishing in Arkansas was the best we have experienced in years in various places around the country. A professional guide did not hurt.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 10:36AM

Kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS. White River fishing in Arkansas was the best
> we have experienced in years in various places
> around the country. A professional guide did not
> hurt.

I was in Mountain Home over labor day. The mask compliance was so so. We wore them inside. Hiking along the damn and the river was breathtaking. I don't fish but it looks like it is one of the best places for that.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 06:22PM

"PS. White River fishing in Arkansas was the best we have experienced in years in various places around the country. A professional guide did not hurt"

Deliverance II

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 12:10AM

The deliverance was the 30 or so trout we caught in less than 4 hours fishing, and not a banjo sound to break the quiet of the river.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 02:20AM

Kentish Wrote:
> and not a banjo
> sound to break the quiet of the river.

Any squealing?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 06:32PM

got COVID. She didn't get the vaccination because she is allergic to something in the vaccine. My sister teaches at the same school as my niece and was around her every day. My sister and her husband are vaccinated and they didn't get it from her, which I'm so glad about. They both have health issues, are 65+. But me, I got vaccinated and here I still sit still ill even after the monoclonal antibodies. My "husband" brought it home.

I'm definitely not pleased. I don't think I'm going to die or end up in the hospital, but it bothers me that I got it.

My neighbor who is very much mormon has had her kids 12 and older vaccinated and her kids wear masks at school. I think Utah schools have a choice to wear masks or not.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 08:10PM

my sibling told me that the helicopters are running constantly transporting folks over the Big Blues and down into the Columbia (Washington). It's going on day and night, On the radio today they said there are currently 680,000 deaths in the US it's a bigger disaster in US deaths than WW2, WW1 and the civil war.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 08:27PM

You mean to tell me that unvaccinated trump cultists are dying ?

Date: September 26, 2021 08:48PM

I'm waiting to see if macaRomney finally realizes that you can't believe in the vaccines and not believe in Neanderthals, Denisovans,and other ancient humans. Genetics either work or they do not.

Date: September 27, 2021 10:38AM

believing your existence involved only a god, naked people, and a snake helps with believing all sorts of other things.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 04:14AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> You mean to tell me that unvaccinated trump
> cultists are dying ?

I certainly hope so. You support a traitorous coup facilitated by a wannabe dictator, and then die out of your own willful ignorance, it is hard to shed a tear for you. Due to vaccine resistance, death rates between Republicans and Democrats is wide enough that it could very well affect future elections. I am sick of trying to pretend to feel sad and sypathetic to truly awful excuses for human beings.

Posted by: indoctrinatedsincebirth ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 04:57PM

Your statement is uncalled for and very bigoted. I voted for Trump in both elections, I was vaccinated back in March as soon as it was available to me, I am a conservative Libertarian, and a non-practicing mormon.
Additionally, the majority of my neighbors who are practicing LDS are also vaccinated, and as far as I know they too voted for Trump.
There are also plenty of liberals and Democrats who choose not to get vaccinated, but based on your presumptions do they too get lumped into the 'anti-vaccine Trump cult'?
Before you go off spewing hatred and more diatribe, perhaps do your homework first?
And if all the hundreds of news outlets are correct, did not President Trump encourage people to get the vaccine after having been vaccinated himself? In fact, there were plenty of liberals at the time who stated they would not get the vaccine simply because it came to fruition during Trumps presidency.
Why are you making this a political thing when it does not need to be?
You are just as guilty of creating divisiveness as the same people you lash out against.
Perhaps it would be wiser to take a position of neutrality and let people decide for themselves and at the same time encourage them through education and more positive means? Do you think finger pointing and playing the blame game will win people over to a position of trust? Lead by example, help people see the advantages of being vaccinated.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:01PM

Why is trump making this a political thing ?

Methinks you trump cultists doth protest too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 05:05PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:17PM

alsd may have spoken viscerally but your apology for Trump is unpersuasive.

> Additionally, the majority of my neighbors who are
> practicing LDS are also vaccinated, and as far as
> I know they too voted for Trump.

Unlikely. There is a significant difference in vaccination rates between Democrats and populists. Trump voters are much more resistant. And why would you assume that your neighbors voted for Trump?

-------------------
> . . .did not President Trump encourage
> people to get the vaccine after having been
> vaccinated himself?

No, he did not. Trump got deathly ill in December 2020, then told the public he hadn't been very sick and that he now had natural immunity and didn't need to be vaccinated. He went ahead and got the shot in January 2021 but kept that a secret for many months. It was only a month or two ago that he acknowledged having been vaccinated himself. So your account is inaccurate.

------------------
> In fact, there were plenty of
> liberals at the time who stated they would not get
> the vaccine simply because it came to fruition
> during Trumps presidency.

Nonsense. Prove it.

------------------
> Why are you making this a political thing when it
> does not need to be?

Uh, it wasn't alsd who politicized COVID. It was your hero, even Donald J. Trump, who called COVID a hoax, then a conspiracy designed to make him look bad, then an intrusion into American personal liberty--which is why being a member of the GOP is now a risk factor for contracting the disease.

---------------------
> You are just as guilty of creating divisiveness as
> the same people you lash out against.

No, he is not. alsd has a following of a few hundred people here. Trump, Rand Paul, DeSantis, the governors of TX, the senates of WI and AZ, OAN, Newsmax, Fox, and other right wing outlets are the ones with the influence--and we know what they are saying even now. Your equivocation is groundless.

-----------------
> Perhaps it would be wiser to take a position of
> neutrality and let people decide for themselves
> and at the same time encourage them through
> education and more positive means? Do you think
> finger pointing and playing the blame game will
> win people over to a position of trust? Lead by
> example, help people see the advantages of being
> vaccinated.

That advice would better be directed to those who have politicized COVID and even today are denouncing vaccination. alsd is expressing frustration at the liars and charlatans who have people poisoning themselves with bleach, Ivermectin, and other forms of snake oil.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:20PM

Also his hero Tucker Carlson has been vaccinated.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:23PM

Tuckums isn't the only liar at Fox. The Network has mandated vaccinations and reports that more than 90% of its staff have received them. The notion that the senior guys, the most educated, are standing on principle and not getting vaxxed is absurd.

What do you call a person who preaches one thing and does the opposite? A Trumpian.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 09:14PM

I was just told a story by my son in Florida. He has a good friend that is a paramedic. Apparently a few days ago this paramedic responded to a drug overdose and had to inject the patient with Naloxone and brought this young man back from certain death. The paramedics took him to the hospital. In the ER they found out he was not vaccinated so they asked him if they could go ahead and vaccinate him since he was already there. The man said, "No, I don't know what is in the vaccine." The hospital staff just stood dumbfounded.

Date: September 26, 2021 09:28PM

Fricking unbelievable.

Date: September 26, 2021 09:34PM

It's totally believable.

Date: September 26, 2021 09:43PM

I can see now why the church has high hopes for Florida.

Date: September 29, 2021 10:54AM

Sinkholes ?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 10:49AM

This same mind set is why Mormons can stay Mormon no matter what.

Date: September 27, 2021 07:59AM

I have the same problem after every trip to Costco

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 10:59AM

It tickles me that Red Dawn was quoted in a serious way.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:23AM

Date: September 27, 2021 11:48AM

There was a lady on the local news here in SE Idaho crying and carrying on about how traumatic it would be for her children to wear masks. "They want to play and be with others!" she sobbed. There was not a tear for the hundreds here dying who also would have liked to be with others.

My granddaughter is happy to wear a mask in Kindergarten and when we go out and about. She doesn't always wear it correctly but she happily tells others she wants to help stop germs. She plays fine with others.

Obviously the parents project all the drama on to their children. It's simply a matter of teaching the kids what to wear, like having to wear socks. Good grief. It's a temporary situation, people. Kids deserve protection efforts more than the melodramatic hysteria of the parents' freedum.

Date: September 27, 2021 12:01PM

My wife is a teacher and tells me kids have no problems with masks.

Date: September 27, 2021 12:28PM

Innocent children shouldn't have to die because of stupid adults.

Date: September 27, 2021 07:32PM

Yes, I teach school, and mask-wearing has not been an issue. The kids are really good about pulling up the masks when asked. I think that excellent mask compliance is why my school has been relatively Covid-free. It really does make a huge difference.

Date: September 29, 2021 10:43AM

It is the adult children who have a problem with it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 27, 2021 11:07PM

They can put the bodies in all those potato cellars.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:33PM

Winter is coming; they can just put them out to pasture!

Date: September 28, 2021 02:19AM

Free fertilizer thank’s to Darwinism. Nature has it’s ways of thinning the herd.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: September 28, 2021 11:52AM

C'mon! This can not be true. There must be thousands of old potato cellars in Idaho. Just throw a corpse or two in with the hundred pounds of russets.

HH =)

Date: September 29, 2021 02:56AM

Idaho could become a leader in not only potato production but Soylent green production.

Posted by: NventOR ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 12:26AM

There are either too many people in Idaho or there isn't enough space... I'd figure the former.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 01:14AM

I got that gd My Corona last Fall. I might have had it a month. The first week it mimicked allergies. The second week dropped me on the couch. The next two weeks, post diagnosis I just was dropped on the couch and not sure I wanted to expend the energy to even get up to go wee wee. Being diagnosed the county started calling.

In February and March the vaccinations gave me about three days of side affects each. But when it was my turn to get those vaccines I was in line. Late or not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.