Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 08:48PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 09:24PM

For those paywalled out, he is the brother of editorial cartoonist Pat Bailey, and wrote a definitive work on the history of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. He passed away, I’m guessing unexpectedly, of a stroke at age 71.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 10:01PM

That is probably the best book on MMM. Brooks's was more revolutionary, but Will had more resources and took the time to nail down a lot of the open questions. Moreover, his judgment was excellent.

He must have been a fine man.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 03:14AM

I'm reading his book now. It's brilliant. RIP.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 08:15AM

Google “Truth about Trek with Will Bagley.”

There’s a bit of a long introduction, but once Will Bagley gets to the stand, it’s fascinating.

(Tom, it’s in you inbox.)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 11:28AM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 09:26PM

And Don Bagley was a frequent poster here. I've seen him occasionally, once not that long ago.

Condolences, Don.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 01:47PM

I enjoy Don's contributions too. If I remember correctly, he described himself as distantly related to Will and Pat.

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 09:52PM

Truly sad. Great historian. I met him a couple times maybe 15-20 years ago when I was doing some work on the Oregon Trail. He was a great guy.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 10:08PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

I've spoken with Will on several occasions. He can't be dead !

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 10:30PM

Oh, no …..

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: September 29, 2021 11:25PM

So sorry about Will. In his book about MMM I learned about how one of my family (1st cousin, 3x removed) was involved. And another ancestor worked on the cover up.

I had a chance to hear him speak about Devil's Gate a long time ago. I wish I'd had a chance to get to know him personally. There are a lot of questions I have and would loved to talk about them with him. This is one of the disadvantages of moving away from Utah and staying away as much as I can.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 09:53AM

Beyond "Blood of the Prophets", Will's book, "Innocent Blood: Essential Narratives of the Mountain Meadows Massacre" is a more complete accounting and includes all the pertinent documents, allowing the reader to come to their own conclusions about who was responsible. It's pretty clear.

"Innocent Blood" is part of a 12 book series, "Kingdom in the West." Another volume from that series is "The Whites Want Every Thing: Indian-Mormon Relations, 1847–1877"

It is well worth a google search for any podcasts in which Will speaks about Western history, Brigham Young, Devil's Gate, and other events from early Mormonism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2021 09:59AM by auntsukey.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 11:53AM

I’m so sorry to hear this. Blood of the Prophets was a page turner for me. Condolences to his family.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 01:45PM

My condolences to Will's loved ones.

As others have noted, "Blood of the Prophets" is an excellent work, and I enjoyed it.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 02:33PM

His and Juanita Brooks research into the Mountain Meadows Massacre was amazeballs! They laid open the seething pustulous sore that was Brigham Young and the early Saints in Utah. I have a copy of his book "Blood of the Prophets" sitting next to my chair in the living room. I read it, at least, twice a year. What a huge loss for everyone influenced by him.

Condolences Pat if you are on here...

HH =-(

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: October 02, 2021 08:58PM

Sorry for the horrible news, Don. :(

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 09:24PM

In the brief conversation I had with Will I told him how excited I was to hear Pat speak. He remarked, "Well, he's better-lookin' but I'm smarter!" Or maybe it was the other way around.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 07:42PM

This is why I'm a thread killer. I usually read the threads days or weeks after they have petered out. That being said, . . .

I'm sorry about the passing of Will Bagley. Not having met or read his works, I have read Don Bagley's comments on RfM and some of his stories. I've also read many of Pat Bagley's cartoons in the Salt Lake Tribune before they instituted the paywall.

Therefore, I googled "Will Bagley" and "twelve book series", and found on Abebooks,"Kingdom in the West: The Mormons and the American Frontier (16 volumes), by Will Bagley, David L. Bigler, et al."

You won't believe the price. I'll bet it's worth every penny. Go look it up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.