Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 05:09PM

First what joseph Smith did was a revision of the Kng James version of the bible.
He did not have any original documents to translate therefore It is actually "The Joseph Smith Revision of the bible" not a translation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2021 05:10PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 06:01PM

I think you translated that correctly!

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: October 01, 2021 12:08PM

He sat at a table with Sidney rigdon and discussed verse by verse how they thought the Bible should read, changing what they didn't like, mormons call that a translation, I call it a bible study discussion.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 01:07PM

Maca not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He sat at a table with Sidney rigdon and discussed
> verse by verse how they thought the Bible should
> read, changing what they didn't like, mormons call
> that a translation, I call it a bible study
> discussion.
I love it when you agree with me. It demonsrtates that you are truly an intellectual giant!!

Posted by: moremanysawinglogs ( )
Date: October 02, 2021 12:39PM

And what, Slap It?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 01:00PM

No, that's the *Will* Smith translation... :-)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 02, 2021 12:40PM

Even the mormon church doesn't recommend it.

Posted by: moremany-me ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 05:10PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> Even the mormon church doesn't recommend it.

TMC wouldn't recommend anything but the temple*...
BUT I wouldn't recommend it!

*The ldsC only recommends it because otherwise the few that attend wouldn't know what else to [NOT] do... PLUS, it's to assure HIGHER "tithing" revenues, attendance, and feelings of EGOTISTICAL 'better-than' statuses and smugness.

It's anti-Christ to the measure... Prejudiced to the bone.

Secret society within a "sacred"/ Secret (pyramid structure of Non-Equality, non-fairness, non-truth) Society.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 12:03PM

True. But he started with what is now the book of Moses in the pearl of great price, receiving the whole by revelation.

I think he tired of that and then went to revising the king james.

He does mention comparing german, greek and latin bibles. He said the german version was the most correct.

If Emma had surrendered the bible manuscript to Brigham. Mormonism might be different today with a true mormon bible.

I'm not sure to what extend the Reorganizes church uses Joseph's version. They hold the copyright and publish it.

Posted by: manymore ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 04:58PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> ... joseph Smith revised the... bible.
>

It's his faux book of the foibles and
follies of the moronite peoples' fleshy fantasies, and while it has nothing to do with fact, it is actually a miserable fable that should never be left on the table.

Posted by: Fable ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 05:00PM

a minor flaw or shortcoming in character or behavior : WEAKNESS

I'm this case, MAJOR flaws

Posted by: sc ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 05:01PM

In, not I'm

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 10, 2023 02:09PM

I recall hearing it referred to as the ‘Inspired Version’, but I guess that’s passe now..

Posted by: Jumpin' Jack Mormon ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 04:48AM

Let's look at it another way. We assume that each Bible version is merely an attempt to translate the source material. Much of the time this isn't true, so Joseph Smith is not alone in this.

Some examples:
* The New World Translation – this is the JW Bible and uses their bizarre terminology. Whenever God is referred to in the text by any given name, it uses the name "Jehovah" in English.
* The KJV – a state-approved translation. It supposedly tones down alcohol references from the original, since James VI was said to be a heavy drinker.
* The New International Version ‐ a very popular but controversial version. It claims to use the latest scholarship but has tried to revise the source material, much like Joseph Smith did. There is no space to go into all the controversies over the NIV, but since it 2010 edition, it has used the singular gender-neutral "they" to translate hundreds of male pronouns from the original material.
* The Amplified Version – this is essentially a paraphrase with a great deal of added material reflecting the POV of the Bible translators. In some ways this is closest to what Joseph Smith was doing, i.e. adding in his own views that were not necessarily in the source material.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 11:05PM

It looks like that's what they're saying-

"First what joseph Smith did was a revision of the Kng James version of the bible. He did not have any original documents to translate therefore It is actually "The Joseph Smith Revision of the bible" not a translation!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.