Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: October 02, 2021 08:18PM

"Utah ghost town reemerges after 60 years underwater, revealing a 'glimmer' of history"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/28/utah-drought-ghost-town-rockport-reservoir/5896413001/

"Extreme drought recently uncovered hidden Utah history in the form of a ghost town in Summit County.

"The foundations of the ghost town, Rockport, are now above water as the Rockport Reservoir reaches its lowest levels since being filled 64 years ago, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

"As of Sept. 1, it was at 29% capacity; it was at 82% capacity last year, according to the Utah Division of Water Resources. The drought in Utah has brought the ghost town back after years underwater."

"The town was originally called Crandall, then was renamed Enoch City a year later. It wasn’t until after the Black Hawk War between the U.S. and Native Americans that it was called Rock Fort."

"About 2.8 million people in Utah are affected by the drought. More than 88% of the state is in the extreme-drought category, according to the state's websites."

----

88% extreme drought? Looks like the mormons need to fast harder for their moisture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 02, 2021 11:41PM

What needs to happen is to increase the Utah budget for cloud seeding ---- proven tech that has been around since the 70's. One may almost think the pols were planning this drought by being so stupid!

Utah allocates a very small amount of money to cloud seeding each year and ski resorts that make good money 'are currently thinking about cloud seeding'. Cloud seeding doesn't require aircraft but the material can be shot off by cannon type equipment.

Again, technology that has been proven many years ago is not adequately considered when weather forecasts indicate potential problems. Why let that snow go to Colorado when it flies over Utah 1st???

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 12:57AM

Cloud seeding has its own problems, as I understand it. It releases toxic and non-native compounds into the environment, and it only works if their are clouds to seed, which have been in short supply in Utah lately.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 10:40AM

I am a skier and we have plenty of clouds passing over during the winter. Winter is when you really need to get the 'snow pack' for the year. You can also do more in the spring and fall to get more rain out of the clouds. We had a good ski season thanks to them making snow to keep the main runs open on time. However, they measure snow pack constantly around the state and know when we are way short.

I don't think we would have cloud seeding programs at all if it was so toxic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 10:47AM by spiritist.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 01:29AM

I'm trying to persuade my semi-TBM gf who lives in GSLC to move here (Sequim) for better weather / avoid the drought / have a happy life with moi...

TBM or not, she's a genuine treasure :)

Wish me luck, everyone!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 05:39PM

Have you been to pioneer village at Lagoon ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.