Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 02:14AM

A glance at General Conference drove home some obvious traits I see in the church leadership. Ego. Being out of touch. A lack of real compassion. A lack of real Christ like love.

There’s no heart and soul to the church. It truly has morphed into a corporation. It’s sorely lacking in anything someone seeking a real spiritual experience would want. The church has a lot of money and that’s about it.

The church leadership sometimes talk of enemy’s of the church. If they want to know who they are all they need to do is look straight into the mirror. They are doing more damage than anyone else could possibly do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 03:32AM

But in Russ Ballard's "stay in the boat" 2014 GC talk, he insisted that church leaders *weren't* out of touch. Would Russ lead you astray? He's as honest and transparent as he knows how to be.

"We have experienced it all, including the consequences of different public laws and policies, disappointments, tragedies, and deaths in our own families. We are not out of touch with your lives."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2014/10/stay-in-the-boat-and-hold-on?lang=eng

Yes, they've experienced it all. </s> If an old guy has to go out of his way to try to convince others that he's not out of touch, then he most probably is.

"You will realize that we live less in a 'bubble' than most people."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts/article/ces-devotionals/2014/01/be-still-and-know-that-i-am-god?lang=eng#lds

Right, Russ. Surrounded by yes-men at the COB, traveling first-class, chauffeured around, protected by church security, speaking only to adoring obedient masses who stand when you enter a room, never taking difficult questions… not a bubble at all.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:26PM

That’s the next big project the church can waste money on. They can construct a huge geodesic dome over the church headquarters and call it the big bubble.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 08:02AM

That is unless you're maybe for some very odd reason, attracted to some crooked organization because you completely believe in your heart that you somehow deserve it.

Sort of like familiar abuse, nothing more.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:29PM

A popular thing in Utah is to stay in the church and be an active member and then break all the rules behind the scenes. They have Mormon swingers clubs and all sorts of underground decadence. People get off on it. It’s a fetish thing.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 01:02AM

Mormon swingers? Where does one find that announcement in the ward bulletin?

Date: October 04, 2021 01:37AM

It was going on in Draper when we lived there. When everyone put their keys into a bowl my wife and I decided it was time to leave the BBQ some friendly ward members invited us to.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 04:07PM

A husband and wife were sitting watching a TV program about psychology and explaining the phenomenon of mixed emotions.

The husband turned to his wife and said, "Honey, that's a bunch of crap. I bet you can't tell me anything that will make me happy and mad at the same time."

She said: "O.K., out of all your friends, you’re the best in bed.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:31PM

Ha! Ha!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 05:05PM

Did they ever have compassion? Were they ever "in touch" with the membership?

I thought from a distance they might be--the GAs. Definitely knew the bishop I had growing up didn't. But I found out loud and clear that the GAs have never given a damn about anyone.

Date: October 03, 2021 05:37PM

The church really is Frankenstein’s monster. I don’t think anyone fully controls it. The fear of losing members and bad publicity keeps the leadership from being too tyrannical. It’s based on lies and they could control the narrative in the past but now they can’t.

Also it’s still a 19th century church trying to run in the 21’st century. It has to change but the leadership is used to the old ways.

The best way to put it is the church is conflicted. It really doesn’t know what it is anymore. It’s in defensive mode just trying to continue to exist.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 01:06AM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did they ever have compassion? Were they ever "in
> touch" with the membership?
>
> I thought from a distance they might be--the GAs.
> Definitely knew the bishop I had growing up
> didn't. But I found out loud and clear that the
> GAs have never given a damn about anyone.

I believe you are correct. I was scared scheitless of bishops. College bishops were the worst.

Posted by: °ufotofu° ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:10PM

Mormonism Is An Enemy To God _DNC (do not covet/ does not cover/ compute...123)

Hell, mormonizm is an enemy to everyone and everything, ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 10:26PM

And the worst anti-Mormon publication is the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 07:00PM

the Miracle of Forgiveness. The BofM is positively benign compared to that piece of trash.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 05:43PM

The BoM is mandatory reading, or at least mandatory belief. It is supposed to lift and inspire, but because of it being so far off any truths, and because it was written so poorly, many prospective members just walk away. The Miracle of Forgiveness is, in fact, the worst, but people who read it are already in for a pound.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 06:07PM

It wasn't temptation and sin that led me from the church. It wasn't even the scandalous and ridiculous parts of church history. I left because I experienced the church. This is it, huh? I eventually saw the church and its leaders for what they were. Many a time, starting when I was a kid, I thought, these guys aren't inspired. They aren't Christ-like. Some of them are horrible people. As the time approached for my mission and going to the temple I thought, ok, now I'll graduate from the kiddie version of the church into the REAL thing. Well, the real thing was crazier and uglier.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 11:30AM

I had a personally autographed copy of The Miracle of Forgiveness.

When I was just beginning to wake up about TSCC, I tossed the book out. I kinda wish I hadn't done that now, because maybe it's worth a little money (like two cents?" :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.