Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:12PM

Plans to build 13 new temples were announced by President Nelson on Sunday at the end of the 191st Semiannual General Conference ... Renovation of the Provo Utah Temple was also announced.

The new temples will be built in the following locations:

Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Tacloban City, Philippines
Monrovia, Liberia
Kananga, DRC
Antananarivo, Madagascar
Culiacán, México
Vitória, Brazil
La Paz, Bolivia
Santiago West, Chile
Fort Worth, Texas
Cody, Wyoming
Rexburg North, Idaho
Heber Valley, Utah

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/10/3/22703022/president-russell-m-nelson-announces-new-lds-temples-at-october-general-conference

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:16PM

I was thinking maybe five or six. Dang! They literally have nothing else to do with their money.

I was thinking today -- that for this high-demand religion, the temple is the only tangible thing that they have to hold over their members. If you want to go to the temple, you have to play their game.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:50PM

Neither Cody or Heber needs one of those eyesores. It’s really to the point this temple building is out of control. Rexberg doesn’t need two temples.

The church simply builds temples because that’s all it knows how to do. They are going to hit diminishing returns because the members will grow tired of the boring temple work and the mystery and specialness of temples will be diluted.

It’s like printing too much money. Too much dilutes the illusion and cheapens the value.

Like I said in another post. The biggest enemy of the church is the church itself.

Not only are the members going to grow tired of temples everywhere, the non-members will too. Who wants to see lit up weird cult like buildings everywhere?

Date: October 03, 2021 06:55PM

Can the church be sued for visual pollution? That’s what these ugly cookie cutter temples are.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 09:36PM

When you have monopoly money, you put hotels on your properties.

Date: October 03, 2021 09:41PM

Pretty much what they are doing. I think they cashed out some of their equities. These temples are probably the result of the church making a killing in the last stock market bubble.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 12:25AM

Rub-

your post brings visions of computer stockmarket nerds watching multiple screens with charts & graphs of ROI, sales, trends in the COB with WHITE SHIRTS on, coming to work on NY stock time (early am in SLC).... in the COB or a satellite office of XXX.Reserve

Date: October 04, 2021 12:36AM

the 'SEATTLE TEMPLE' is actually in Bellevue, Washington, across Lk Washington from Seattle, it's very visible/obvious to I-90 travelers (i.e. the rich who commute from Sammamish, Issaquah, etc.)

I was somewhat surprised they didn't buy the (now former) 'Marine Hospital' in Seattle which was on a very prominent hill, visible to both 90 & I 5.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:36PM

Sadly, I am once again deprived of comedy gold because RMN didn't announce some place like Oxnard, Buttonwillow, or Bakersfield.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 08:05PM

I'm genuinely kind of surprised (and immensely relieved) that one hasn't been announced somewhere along the 101 between Thousand Oaks and San Luis Obispo, or in some place like Simi Valley or Valencia. I suspect it's inevitable though.

If I were to pick a "favorite" California location, it would be Baker. They could build on the site of the old Bun Boy.

"Rexburg North" is beyond farcical.

Date: October 03, 2021 09:45PM

Bun Boy. I remember that place. Two temples in Sexburg is silly. I hope to hell they don’t build a temple in Driggs or Island Park.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 05:50AM

There's an abandoned private prison at the North end of Baker that might have possibilities.
Also there's Zzyzx, radio evangelist Curtis Springer's religious retreat and "health spa," about twenty miles South of Baker.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:42PM

That same amount of money could help:
poverty stricken families
The elderly in need
places that need sanitation and sewage disposal

But that would mean they care about the membership
They, the ecclesiastcal heirarchy, more and more are only concerned with mind and body control and I predict that, eventually it will be their downfall!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 06:45PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: October 03, 2021 09:47PM

Church’s used to build and run hospitals.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 10:16PM

Yup. That funding by taxpayers was very lucrative.

Posted by: Cftexan ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:43PM

I hope the one in Ft Worth is nowhere near me. Ive been lucky to have the Dallas so far away from where Id go in Dallas.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:46PM

Am I missing something or does it seem like there’s hardly anyone there in the picture of the session of conference? There’s almost as many on the stand as in the seats?

Posted by: °ufotofu° ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:00PM

bobofitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I missing something or does it seem like
> there’s hardly anyone there in the picture of
> the session of conference? There’s almost as
> many on the stand as in the seats?

You aren't missing anything

The MORMONS are missing
(Reality)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:02PM

The sessions were closed to the public. There was very limited in-person attendance.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 11:07AM

Thanks for the info. Now I understand.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:07PM

It was labeled as a closed conference, due to Covid-19 considerations.

Date: October 03, 2021 07:11PM

Was there no live video ?

Date: October 03, 2021 07:28PM

When fully identified, as Culiacá, Sinaloa, Mexico, the average law-abiding heart tends to skip a beat.

Yeah, Sinaloa, as in Sinaloa Cartel, as in pretty much nobody visits Sinaloa to wallow in its touristic splendor.

When you look up addresses for the church in Sinaloa, you see that there's a Stake Center, at Gran Avenida Eldorado 1646. Unfortunately, the latest Google Street View of this address is from 2009:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gran+Avenida+El+Dorado+1646,+Aurora,+80070+Culiac%C3%A1n+Rosales,+Sin.,+Mexico/@24.8106783,-107.3679908,3a,60y,178.05h,90.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN0Mjadr-TUuukQjasW9S1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x86bcd75b8f04c1d7:0x14a6e5107b66dcf2!8m2!3d24.8105312!4d-107.3679501

Did they convert this building into a stake center or buy up more land and build one?

I found missionary letters posted from an Elder who was released in April of 2020.  Obviously, the Sinaloa Cartel situation way predates his time of service. So maybe if you're not a member of the Sinaloa Cartel or the State or Federal Police, life is basically normal there in Culiacan...

But I predict that this particular new Temple Bounce House will not be a tourist destination for faithful mormons.

Date: October 04, 2021 10:43AM

elderolddog Wrote:
>     It was labeled as a closed conference, due
> to Covid-19 considerations.
Once again I must use the Russian Marine Corps word
BULLSHITSKI

Posted by: TemplesOFdoom ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 06:52PM

LDS temples are just glorified, ugly billboards... and magnets (attract the foolish and defrauded and repel the simple, beautiful, natural, intelligent, and wise).

Date: October 03, 2021 06:53PM

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_Madagascar

The first branch of the LDS Church in Madagascar was organized in 1990[3] with Razanapanala Ramianadrisoa as president. Ramiandrisoa had joined the LDS Church in France while studying there in 1986. The first LDS missionaries to enter Madagascar were Fred L. Forsgren and his wife Eileen who arrived in March 1991. The Church was legally recognized by the government of Madagascar in 1993.

Until 1998 missionary work in Madagascar was supervised from South Africa, but a separate mission for Madagascar was organized in 1998. The first LDS Church-built meetinghouse in Madagascar was completed in May 1999.

The Book of Mormon was translated to Malagasy in 2000. Also that year the first stake in Madagascar, the Antananarivo Madagascar Stake was organized with Dominique L. Andriamanantoa as president.[4]

In 2020, the LDS Church canceled services and other public gatherings indefinitely in response to the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.[5]

In 2019, there were 12,887 members in 42 congregations.

Regarding the last: 12,997 members divided into 42 congregations = 307 people per congregation. I'm sure the activity rate is very high.

Eventually, inevitably, smaller congregations are going to end up with Temple Bounce houses.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 12:08AM

From what I understand about Madagascar, the southern half of the island nation is semi-arid destitution, and the northern half is ravaged by Covid.

Date: October 04, 2021 12:15AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2021 12:16AM by caffiend.

Date: October 04, 2021 12:17AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2021 12:17AM by caffiend.

Date: October 03, 2021 06:59PM

a real estate holding corporation.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:36PM

Somehow the announcement of more temples with their emphasis on ritual to gain access to heaven flies in the face of the new found emphasis on Jesus reported here as the new turn for the Mormon Church.

Date: October 03, 2021 09:52PM

Jesus taught our bodies are temples.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 09:59PM

Hence the phrase "take me to church."

Date: October 04, 2021 10:48AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Hence the phrase "take me to church."
Actually as Alfred P. Dolittle said
"Be sure you get me to the church on time"

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:38PM

I don't remember who said it, but I remember watching a show where the guest said McDonalds is not a fast food company but a real estate company.

Temples are the same thing.

I think overseas even more so if the respective governments limit currency transactions outside their countries.

Have to do something with the cash.

Date: October 03, 2021 09:56PM

Kind of. McDonald’s owns the land and building and charges the franchise owner rent. The church has no franchise. Everything is corporate owned. But having a temple nearby makes it easier from the local church leadership to pressure the members to pay tithing to have a temple recommend.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:46PM

I noticed at the 10:00 AM session today that Munster Nelson was giving a talk about temples. He was hard core telling everyone to go to the temple more often, even if they don't like to go. He also weirdly added that the SLC temple will be the safest place to be in an earthquake when it reopens. He was really trying to sell people that going to the temple is going to make them better. He "invites" people to plan times to repeat their oaths in their minds. I thought that was weird too. Are people forgetting the handshakes and "marrow in the bones" ditty? That's all I caught.

They are investing in these temples (real estate investments) and are pushing people to use them. That of course means tithing gets paid. If you wake up and see the temple everyday, I guess you might feel more pressure to pay to play like your neighbors.

Remember the church gets tax breaks for their buildings and we taxpayers pay for roads, fire protection, etc. I am tired of religions getting perks like that for what is obviously an investment strategy. So that is what Jesus the Investor would spend the money on?

I'm starting to think they are cheapening the temple thing by making so many of them. Something rare and beautiful keeps people's attention. If something is everywhere, it becomes common and loses the "pilgrimage" sacrifice feeling.

If they are not going to make temples more of a social gathering place to draw people, I don't think people enjoy sitting there in the quiet listening to the same thing all the time.

Date: October 03, 2021 10:00PM

Ha! Ha! Munster Nelson. I see lot’s of temple burnout in the future. I predict all this temple building will not end well.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 07:55PM

Are there 2 in Idaho Falls? Maybe they are going to put the screws to those BYU-I students to attend more. There aren't 2 temples in Logan, but I guess a Smithfield one is in the works??? None in Hyrum where I live. ha ha ha ha

How about Ogden? Are there 2 in Ogden?

Yep, a waste of money. Having experienced it for most of us can you imagine attending the temple MORE than you did? Well, I only attended it a few times. If I hadn't already been questioning over my lovely life experience up to that point, the temple did it. For anyone who says they enjoy going, they have to be lying.

I said something yesterday about my neighbors going to Ecuador last week. They found the temple and a did a session. WHAT??

Date: October 03, 2021 08:04PM

I wondered about Rexburg too. I wonder if they need another temple to accommodate all the weddings coming out of Ricks (sorry, I'm always going to call it that).

There are not two in Idaho Falls.

I went to the temple a lot when I was first married and we were still at BYU.

Date: October 03, 2021 08:27PM

My "husband" is from Rexburg and went to Ricks. We spent a lot of time visiting his family in the early years of our marriage, so it will always be Ricks to us. Lots of history in his family with siblings and nieces going to Ricks before it was BYU-I. It has been a while since I've been in Rexburg (when his mother died about 10 years ago). I can't even remember what they've added to the town. The old residents (like his sisters) don't like how much it has grown there.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 11:35AM

There is a temple announced for Roy, which borders Ogden, plus one announced for Centerville (if I recall correctly) less than ten miles away, and a temple less than ten miles north of North Ogden, in Brigham City. The Ogden area is well-templed.

Idaho Falls has plenty of gentiles. Rexburg, OTOH, is Mormon to the point of absurdity. Two temples there makes some sense if you squint hard.

I could live in IF, or even Pocatello. You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Rexburg.

Date: October 04, 2021 11:52AM

>>I could live in IF, or even Pocatello. You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Rexburg.

Agree! Rexburg would be the worst. I think the Idaho Falls temple used to get the overflow from Rexburg for weddings.

Pocatello has a blue collar low income vibe, but it seems more diverse and not as Mormony in town. The attached Chubbuck and and NE bench where the temple is located feel more Mormon. Pocatello has a shortage of housing, meth issues and more poverty than I wish.

Idaho Falls is getting all the new and shiny growth. It's still very Mormony in the vibes I get there.

Date: October 04, 2021 12:04PM

as I grew up in Brigham City. I lived in Cache Valley. Cache Valley has grown A LOT--far too much. Bumper to bumper traffic on main street. I'd rather drive to Brigham than to the North end of Logan as I live in Hyrum. Hyrum is booming. Little Hyrum. Yet, North of Ogden, there are only Brigham and Logan temples with I guess Smithfield supposedly coming in the future.

Not like I care as we don't need those ugly buildings dotting the landscape over here.

Actually, my boyfriend's home has a perfect view of the temple. He has a front room and dining room lined with windows. The temple view is a perfect selling feature, but he has decided not to sell for now. He just retired and he hates mormons.

I find the Logan temple interesting in its architecture on the OUTSIDE, but the inside is still I believe mauve from being redone in the mid 1970s. My boyfriend likes the looks of the temple, but I told him once you know what goes in there, it loses its appeal.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 09:06PM

They must be cloning Dorothy as fast as they can.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 08:41AM

Hey now! haha

Date: October 03, 2021 09:18PM

I had to look up Heber Valley ... I guess it's the Park City area, to pull in the ski and film festival crowd?

Date: October 03, 2021 10:08PM

That crowd are very far from being Mormon. I used to live in Park City. Never is up at the top of Provo Canyon. It’s more of an LDS community.

Date: October 04, 2021 04:55AM

Rubicon Wrote:
> That crowd are very far from being Mormon. I used
> to live in Park City. Never is up at the top of
> Provo Canyon. It’s more of an LDS community.

yeah Heber would make sense in that case

Date: October 04, 2021 12:09AM

I used to live and work in Park City.

Date: October 04, 2021 12:18AM

So they're sitting on $100B+. Maybe temple building is a way to launder some of that, moving it out to contractors, subcontractors, professionals, consultants (etc.) that they favor (like, themselves?)

Or, applying Ockham's Razor, it's nothing more than the desperate hope that "If we build them, they will come."

Date: October 04, 2021 12:27AM

Maybe they’re too old to masturbate and this how they get off…?

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 12:57AM

That's not a conspiracy theory, that's a common way to funnel church money to mormon royalty. Zwick Construction does a lot of temple work; Craig Zwick was in the Q70 for many years.

https://www.zwickconstruction.com/religious-projects

I've read numerous stories where either Utah contractors were awarded no-bid contracts for non-Utah temples, or local TBM contractors put in good-faith bids, only to be lowballed by a connected Utah-based contractor. Of course, Utah got the job, then (surprise) after work began, the cost and therefore the price jacked up. The fix was always in.

It really is a scam designed to enrich the mormon elite.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 08:59AM

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking most church attenders don't have temple recommends.

That was certainly my story. In my head I thought I would go if my hubby was willing to attend and pay tithing--gee darn, I'll just keep doing the social Mormon/smorgasmormon thing.

Then the Louisville temple was announced. Every damn talk was on tithing and temple attendance. Every prayer was about temples.

My best friend at the time decided I should just pay tithing on my part time job income and then go to the temple without hubby.

Dang. I couldn't argue with that except...I didn't WANT to go. I certainly didn't WANT to pay even a little tithing.

So I set out to regain my testimony. What happened to that thing? I hadn't really had one since about fourteen.

I tried to pray. I literally dusted off my Book of Mormon. Twenty minutes later, I found my testimony!

I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the Book of Mormon was an incredibly racist work of fiction.

So the Louisville temple has my gratitude. It set me free.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 11:06AM

At least they are going to rebuild the carousel projector in Provo.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 11:08AM

At least they are going to rebuild that Provo temple.

Date: October 04, 2021 11:29AM

Sequim didn't make their list again, buy I'm betting that either Olympia or Bremerton will be soon...

Is there one in / near Portland OR?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 11:39AM

I can't believe the faithful Mormons aren't feeling screwed over by this. All the tithing and sacrifice and the church is filthy rich and we're back to the "money changers and the temple" all over again. If Christ had been real he would no doubt be back to level them in a righteous rage.

Do they not know the Temples are now for show and that not too much is happening inside them? Except maybe word is spreading that you can get the Second Anointing now at your own local Mormon Mansion? If they could only get an order of fries and fry sauce with that, they could really keep those Mormons hooked.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 12:36PM

Wow...Rexburg North?...a second temple for the Idaho gullag?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 12:38PM

I'm surprised Wendy hasn't gotten Rusty to announce one for Raymond's "Temple Hill"

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 01:21PM

Mormon membership numbers:

14000 in Liberia
13000 in Madagascar
44000 in DRC

I guess good for those folks. They probably think it is a real big deal. But getting a Taco Bell there would probably be a bigger deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.