Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 01:17PM

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/05/1043211171/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-outage-business-impact

https://cooltechzone.com/news/facebook-down-somebody-tried-to-fake-5-billion-users-leak

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-whistleblower-frances-haugen-misinformation-public-60-minutes-2021-10-03/

Real conspiracies don’t have anything to do with inter-dimensional demons and child sacrifice, as some eccentric personalities have claimed. Real conspiracies affecting children’s safety and health are much more banal and two times as evil if you can get over the disappointment of your fevered delusions not coming true. Plug into the real world.

Facebook knows that anger and guilt and FOMO drive more traffic on their platform, increasing ad revenue. That’s their business model. They know 13.5% of teenage girls are increased suicidal after using their instagram app: they don’t care. Attacking little girls with body size advertising is prime ad revenue. They know that’s whatsapp drove the genocide in Myanmar, although that was unintentional. And they know that if they turn their website off for six hours that just happens to coincide with the prime time that people would have been sharing the link a new sixty minutes interview where a whistleblower got internal documents blowing the lid off of everything, most will never be exposed to it and miss the optimal outrage window. Before I quit Facebook, they were only showing my controversial posts two or three days later to my friends because that was when I got interaction. Facebook is a mess that should be destroyed. It’s not what it started as. Now it’s an evil monopoly sucking the whole human race’s soul away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 03:14PM

Facebook may survive but Zuk will meet with justice!!!

Propagandists will see justice soon!!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 03:25PM

Well, let's hope this prophesy proves more accurate than your previous one that Fauci would be in jail by the summer's end.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 03:47PM

Mark Zuckerberg isn't controlled by inter-dimensional demons?

Date: October 05, 2021 03:52PM

Maybe metaphorical ones like Greed

Date: October 05, 2021 03:59PM

https://youtu.be/Ld39vkGBnMQ

I’ve had Mormons tell me this guy is credible.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 10:45AM

Wow. Interesting to see someone's demons as a platform for political influence. He would make a good drill sergeant.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 01:32AM

But it's exactly these kinds of cheap thrills that make me want to be Mormon again.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 04:30PM

IMO, it should have been named Lamebook, not Facebook.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 05:23AM

Facebook just shows me cute animal videos and nice pictures of the British and Italian countrysides.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 08:32AM

Deleted my account months ago and my life has vastly improved…I don’t go around with my blood boiling constantly and/or feeding my depression with comparing myself to my “friends”.

Plus, any service provided free to the user means I was the product they were selling, and I grew tired of advertisers knowing so much about me; not to mention the information that could be hacked at any time.

You can keep it, Zuckerberg. I encourage everyone to delete their account. Let’s make FB as relevant as Yahoo or AOL!

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 01:28PM

I've never had a Facebook account. Do I win?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 01:41PM

You tie with me!

When Farcebook first came out, it looked like a giant waste of time. The last thing I needed was to hear about what some person from high school thinks about anything. It seemed like perpetual Christmas letters bragging about stupid stuff. I don't need a bunch of "friend" requests by people who want to be popular influencers or whatever.

It was obvious from the start that people on Farcebook are the PRODUCT. I can get my fix here on RfM without being manipulated by algorithm or sales.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 02:08PM

The only part of the subject line that I agree with is the first word. The post is indeed about FaceBook.

I have a bit of problem with the word "evil" because if its religious overtones, when the word "criminal" works just fine, without the religious baggage. I really have a problem with the word "satanic". Satanic? Really? Curb your enthusiasm.

Next up, "new world order". that's basically a right-wing political insult, otherwise content-free.

Lastly, "no one cares". This seems to be based on FB being offline for an afternoon after a negative story about it on Sixty Minutes. Frances Haugen was testifying before Congress Monday, and rather a lot of people are not happy with FB's behavior.

I would not be at all surprised if FB and other social media platforms didn't get regulated in the next 5 years. The EU is already clamping down on it, and I am fairly sure the US is not far behind.

No one cares? Again, really? It's worth taking a longer view than the events of the previous day. I'd suggest 5 years from now is a reasonable timeframe to judge whether people will take action.

And to all y'all who bore your testimonies about how you would never use FB, you sound pretty much like Mormons explaining how they would never touch coffee and how they know they are better off without it.

In the case of both FB and coffee, several billion people disagree. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 02:14PM

I miss the old days when we could say anything we wanted and not get sensored, I listened yesterday to that npr story (I believe it was on Democracy Now last night) about Facebook and teenage girls, my take away was that these women agitators just want more government oversight, more moderators, the 'karens' aren't happy with freedom, they hate the jan 6 people, and the 75 million who are on that side of thinking, I wish they'd just immigrate to venusuala or Cuba,

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 03:51PM

Maca not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I miss the old days when we could say anything we
> wanted and not get sensored

> these women agitators just
> want more government oversight, more moderators,

> the 'karens' aren't happy with freedom, they hate
> the jan 6 people

> I wish they'd just
> immigrate to venusuala or Cuba

"Women agitators."

What are they doing out of the kitchen eh?

"They hate the jan 6 people."

I assume by "jan 6 people" you mean the rioters. What's not to hate?

People you don't agree with should "immigrate"?

And why did you single out "venusuala" and Cuba as destinations of choice?

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 04:05PM

Of course you don't like accountability. You probably also think that a private platform like Facebook is a "publisher" (though you would be hard pressed to tell me what that is), and they're violating your "freeze peach". Pfft.

Date: October 06, 2021 04:22PM

Maca not logged in Wrote:
> I miss the old days when we could say anything we
> wanted and not get sensored,

You prove every day that you are not "sensored." In fact, very few words or pretend-words with the root "sense" apply to you.

--------------
> I listened yesterday
> to that npr story (I believe it was on Democracy
> Now last night) about Facebook and teenage girls,
> my take away was that these women agitators just
> want more government oversight, more moderators,

People, men and women, who worry about teen suicide are all "women agitators?" You're a piece of work, as thoughtful as you are articulate, as wise as you are misogynistic, as empathetic a human as you are competent a speller.

--------------------
> the 'karens' aren't happy with freedom, they hate
> the jan 6 people, and the 75 million who are on
> that side of thinking, I wish they'd just
> immigrate to venusuala or Cuba,

You are the one who likes dictatorships, so please do move to "venusuala" or even Nambia. Leave the rest of us, who care about the 81 million who won the election. Go somewhere populated by people who want minority rule.

You lost, Snowflake,

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 08:46PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> You are the one who likes dictatorships, so please
> do move to "venusuala" or even Nambia.

Hey! I know this is inadvertent, but so far as I am aware, Namibia is one of the GOOD countries in Africa.

What do you know that I don't [yet]?

Date: October 06, 2021 08:52PM

Dear Tevai,

Nambia is not Namibia. Nambia is a pretend country devised by an aspiring tyrant. Since it is his imaginary friend, he can ascribe all the totalitarian characteristics to it that he wants--and we can all wish him a hearty bon voyage as he sails away to that magical land!

As for Namibia, I agree with you. There's no shitholery about it.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 11:27PM

Why are you leaving out Thighland? I don't know about you, but I love Thigh food. I mean, who doesn't love a good-sized helping of pad Thigh from a top-notch Thigh restaurant?

Date: October 06, 2021 11:38PM

In Bangkok, no less!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 03:28PM

It is my way of communicating with my sisters and my friend and my boyfriend during the day. I'm not into texting. Neither is my older sister and my best friend. We don't text unless absolutely necessary.

When my daughter started working in Alaska is when I got a fb account. That way I can watch what she is doing, see her pictures, she can contact me. I also don't do phones much. I only have my phone with me when I walk the dogs or I'm driving somewhere. Drives my boyfriend nuts, but he taught me well to not have my phone with me. He'd tell me he was going to call the first few years we were in a relationship at a long distance and then wouldn't, so I quit keeping my phone around me. It has been 16 years. I tend to get abused by people with a phone. I'm supposed to be on call. Oh, my "husband" got me a beeper after he left me. This was before cell phones were very popular. Now get that one! He had left me to be with his boyfriend, but I was supposed to be on call. I never was available if he'd beep, but then I didn't keep the beeper with me either.

So I don't do phones or texting. If they want to talk to me, they have to message me on fb and I check it a few times during my work hours. If I see my daughter has called, I will call her back.

So fb is my way of communicating. If I post anything, it is only about dogs, things someone else puts on fb that I like about dogs and I share it. I will put a picture of my kids now and then, maybe once a year. I have few friends on fb. I don't know most of them.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 04:18PM

I don't really get the connection to the satanic new world order but I don't know what that is. Sounds like fear mongering.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 09:02PM

Billionaires don’t do jail time!
They pay for better lawyers
Or hire judges!
Come on this is a Capitalist society we live in right?
We all knew the Billionaires ran it.
We all knew they had offshore accounts and paid as close to zero as you can get taxes and laughed all the way to the bank, right?
We all knew they partied with Epstein on his little island with all those pretty young girls and snorted Coke off of their asses, right?
And we were all ok with all of that, because, meanwhile, back on Earth, we were distracted with racism, homelessness, drugs, pandemic….but as long as we had FB, and our tenuous link to fame, we were placated and nobody cared.
We care far more about the pretty young blonde YouTube influencer, who went missing out West than we do about the thousands of black and native women and girls who go missing every year.
Yeah, nobody cares.
Too much on their plate already.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 09:56PM

..do not pass Go,

..do not collect $200,

..go directly to Facebook jail!

Poetry will be Zuckerberg in real prison some day..

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 10:05PM

I guess you get out of it what you put in to some extent. Set it up with a throw away email, never put identifying info, never post a personal pic. Only join groups I like, animal rescue, wombats, dogs and crafts. If I see an add for something I am interested in, I don't click it I go search it myself. Don't do friend requests unless they are people I have gotten to know in one of my groups. I have no interest in getting my news there and I don't ever see it. Days I look at it I spend 15 minutes or so. For me, it's just no big deal.

What is going on with kids is a whole other story. Continuing to funnel Russian BS, and it being used to organize violence is not OK.

And no, you have never been able to say anything you want. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater and slander charges have been around for a long long time. That isn't censorship, that is common sense.

Date: October 06, 2021 10:31PM

Careful, Sus I/S. It's going to recommend more and more extreme crafts. Before you know it, you'll be making dryer lint ornaments and tampon angels. ;-)

Too bad everyone doesn't use FB the way you do.

Date: October 06, 2021 10:54PM

A couple of my groups are brand specific and they push the products. People go all "fan boy" on them like they do iPhones. I find it funny lol. Once you deal with LDSInc you get a good BS-a-meter. I got into crafting when Hubs was traveling all the time. I had stayed away from it because of LDSInc crap. I figured what the hell, if I like it I am going to do it. No lint, tampons or grapes but I like machine embroidery, a bit of quilting and now I am making cards and learning how to use alcohol markers. Don't tell Hubs how much the markers cost lol!

Check this out -

https://www.vanillaarts.com/

Date: October 06, 2021 11:16PM

You definitely have a talent for creative crafts. Those markers look pretty sweet. I love the flower pictures especially. It looks way out of my league. I did a good bit of needlepoint, crewel, and embroidery in my day. Anything I do involving drawing or painting ends up looking like a 5 year old did it.

Have fun making those cards!

Date: October 07, 2021 12:16AM

I hope to get half as good as her one day. My stuff looks like a 5 year old too but it is a lot better when you use stamps/digital stamps like she does. It is hard to tell because of the no line ink. I really enjoy her because she goes into a lot of theory like don't shade with darker, desaturate the color.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 03:29AM

I enjoy Facebook. It allows me to stay in touch with former high school classmates (who has a new grandchild, who died, who has taken up an interesting new hobby, etc.)

It allows me to dig deeper into issues that concern me. There is a group especially for people who have the same kidney disease that I do. Those folks are marvelous. And all of us support each other. It has a multilingual translation service, to help people who don't speak English.

If I get a post from some doofus I don't know, or a religious nutjob, I just delete them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.