Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 11:23AM

PHIL?
SEcular Priest?
deseret rat?
anonymous disenchanted mainstream Mormon?

The list I can think of includes.

The name Mormon being dropped.
Mission ages and calling home changes.
COVID handling.
Reduced meeting times.
Buddying up with the Pope.
Any temple changes.

But I don't know. I know many Mormons and they know better than to complain about the church openly. They grow wistful of better by gone days. They love Trump and his mantra. They are older often but there are some younger ones who can remember before COVID and how the Book of Mormon was more focused and temples weren't a dime a dozen.

Many Mormons like to read Rock Waterman, Dennis Snuffer, and a lot of end of days books on Amazon.

There is no place for them in the new church of Nelson and his surgical excising of Mormon and his Jesus freakiness. They don't like being called lazy learners when he changed all the focus from what they knew and loved.

So is there anyone lurking here that can identify with what I've written? Are you here because it feels good to read dissension from people for whom the church didn't fit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 11:39AM

No longer a brave believer, but when I was, I never thought enough was done to help the poor.

And I hated that “we are the only true church” gag. It made the faith of my parents irrelevant, or at least TSCC churh hoped it did.

Date: October 06, 2021 12:04PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It made the faith of my parents irrelevant,
> or at least TSCC churh hoped it did.

It was the wrong faith.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/music/library/hymns/faith-of-our-fathers?lang=eng

Date: October 06, 2021 02:43PM

Pop was Jewish and Mom was Catholic. I just didn’t like mormonism spouting that its bs was better. ESP in view of my sainted mother’s pure goodness and carrying her Rosary beads in her pocket the whole time she was pregnant with us. I don’t buy into any of it now, but for THEM to make HER to look superstitious in view of their magic underwear just made me mad.

Date: October 06, 2021 04:10PM

It wasn't her superstition as much as her religion. They know the "righteous" priesthood power and where it comes from...;(

Posted by: Northern_lights ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 10:15AM

See, I think the church offers so little and is so dull there is 0 reason to participate if it isn't the only "truth".

Date: October 07, 2021 02:25PM

Interesting. If it were The Truth would it make is enthralling?

Posted by: Northern_lights ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 02:46PM

No, but worth it maybe? I mean I don't believe in any of it, but let us just say for sake of discussion that there the modern day Christian view of the world is the right view and finding the creator's favorite flavor of it is the important thing to ensure your place n the after life.

OK so working from that framework now, you need to find the "right" church and we already established that there is one. Obviously you endure the boring talks, lessons, and the fact that your church has 0 programs over a church with fun music and fun community activities.

When I was going from semi-active to inactive I had some friends who went with me to a fun church (at least the service was fun, I am not sure if their teachings were toxic or not). People admitted it was a lot better. Good music, interesting sermon, fun music, but it was still apostate, it was not the truth. Drop the idea TSCC church is the only truth and what is the point?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 12:16PM

I don't care what IT is
Ahm agin IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 06:35PM

She still considers herself a Mormon.

She complains to her apostate son, me, about a non existent ministering program. She has only had one visit since the change. She has stopped complaining about not being visited/called upon.

She agrees with my observation that the church offers "nothing" for the youth. The discontinuance of scouting and limited "fun" activities are hurting the youth. No one has fond memories of memorizing scriptures/bearing of testimonies for a cheap looking statue(church PISS program).

The church awhile back went digital for lessons/scriptures. She was told to stop carrying her traditional scriptures and "get with the program." My wife and I bought her a tablet and downloaded the church apps. We practiced with her so she would not feel left out.

She misses the old days of 3 hour block meetings. The church also sponsored "ling-a-longer" food social. Families stayed another 60-90 minutes socializing after the 3 hour block.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 08:11AM

Ministering has been a total disaster
If your not one of the elite you are left behind and ignored. The power in most wards is concentrated within the elite families.
When the baby boomers die off you will be left with a much smaller church with more dedicated members.
Whether that's a good thing or not
remains to be seen.
About the only hope I see is in the developing countries.

Date: October 07, 2021 02:27PM

PHIL Wrote:
> When the baby boomers die off you will be left
> with a much smaller church with more dedicated
> members.

Interesting. So is this a compliant?

Date: October 06, 2021 11:59PM

That whiskery wallpaper all down our ward's halls and in every room was annoying.

It always struck me as being full of bacteria.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2021 10:24AM by kathleen.

Date: October 07, 2021 10:36AM

kathleen Wrote:
> That whiskery wallpaper all down our ward's halls
> and in every room was annoying.
>
> It always struck me as being full of bacteria.

I called it thistle board. It was like a brier patch.

I have a permanent scar from being shoved into it. A headless nail cut got my arm.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 10:48AM

What is important to my family is winning the contest of who is the best Mormon ever. What the leaders dictate or waffle on is of no concern to them. Their eye is on the prize and that is that their Mormon peers see them as the ones having more faith and a stronger testimony than anyone ever. They are in it to win it and no dang crap from Rusty is going to get in the way!

My mother knows some of what Oaks did while Prez of the Y and endorsing the coerced Electro-shock on the scared gay kids. When I alluded to the subject once, she once she said she thought "Oaks will have a lot to answer for when he meets his maker." Never stopped her from being the front runner in the contest though. And putting it that way took her "off the hook" she thought.

I was shocked.

Date: October 07, 2021 11:55AM

And you never could tell if you were in the front or the back of the building. It was one long circular hallway with everything (chapel, gym, etc) dumped in the middle. North, south, east and west all looked alike. Same furniture, same fake plants.

I always hoped to see a compass rosette painted on the floor.

Date: October 07, 2021 12:14PM

kathleen Wrote:
> And you never could tell if you were in the front
> or the back of the building. It was one long
> circular hallway with everything (chapel, gym,
> etc) dumped in the middle. North, south, east and
> west all looked alike. Same furniture, same fake
> plants.
>
> I always hoped to see a compass rosette painted
> on the floor.

Funny story about that.

My Grandma (never-mo) stepped out of RS and never made it back. She kept walking up and down the hallway. Naturally, my Mom wondered what was keeping her.

Turns out she couldn't figure out where she came from. She opened the wrong classroom and became embarrassed. She walked to an exit and waited for my Mom to find her.

I remember that the primary kids made a homemade sign with an arrow pointing the direction to the primary room. It only lasted one Sunday.

The following Sunday, a letter was read about church approved artwork with the reiteration that no signs were to be attached to church walls. Then they placed the sign in the hallway on an easel. That was removed because it conflicted with local fire codes; blocking the emergency exits/walkways.

Mormon chapels really suck in design and architecture.

Date: October 07, 2021 12:04PM

That's why they have that secret election made sure 2nd Annointing in the temple. It not only keeps them loyal to the LDS Corp but also pampers their egos. They can do know wrong in their minds, save leave the church.

Date: October 07, 2021 02:28PM

From PHIL add Ministering to my list.

The name Mormon being dropped.
Mission ages and calling home changes.
COVID handling.
Reduced meeting times.
Buddying up with the Pope.
Any temple changes.
Ministering change from Home Teaching

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.