Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 01:50PM

Reading two interesting articles today at lunch showed me that the church is more interested in its bottom line than any saving of souls.

Exhibit A: Social services at LDS Inc.

https://rsc.byu.edu/salt-lake-city-place-which-god-prepared/historical-highlights-lds-family-services

The inspired leaders of the church had to rely upon the licensed women to keep their beloved Lamanite inclusion program.

"Because the Relief Society Social Services Department was licensed with the State of Utah, Indian Placement headed by Bishop, was placed under its auspices and formal home evaluations were carried out for students arriving from the reservations."

Then it just took the women's work away from them.

"In 1969, due to the Church correlation movement, a decision was made to bring the social services efforts under priesthood direction. Unified Social Services took all aspects of social services from the Relief Society."

It was a useful tool.

"In 1973, Church leaders saw the wisdom of making LDS Social Services a separate corporate entity from the Church. Human problems being what they were, it was only natural that some legal issues arose which made the creation of a separate corporation a wise move. This choice protected the financial resources of the Church, the workload of Church leaders, and allowed worldwide membership to grow unhindered by the possibility of lawsuits that would require inordinate use of Church funds."

Perhaps Amy Lyman was a good person and wasn't interested in protecting priesthood as much as helping the "disabled" in her church?

"Perhaps Amy Brown Lyman could not have foreseen the modern training, clinical tools, and technology that are fulfilling her vision of helping with personal and family problems. LDS Family Services has continually branched out, reaching more and more Church members throughout the world. What must have seemed to some priesthood leaders in the early years as a “nice” program has now become an essential tool in the Church, helping thousands who would otherwise remain roadside, disabled by their problems to instead face their issues, overcome their challenges and take a higher road through mortality."

Exhibit B: That big pot of Golden Plates money.

https://religionunplugged.com/news/2020/12/16/a-slightly-more-transparent-lds-church-one-year-after-revelations-of-a-100-billion-fund?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4cmaz6O28wIV82tvBB2AVgZsEAMYASAAEgIYnPD_BwE

I couldn't agree more with Jeanne Markey.

"“This tithing almost starts to sound like common law fraud,” said Jeanne Markey, an attorney at Cohen Milstein in Philadelphia who specializes in whistleblower complaints and SEC matters, in an interview with Religion Unplugged this past summer."

And this is what the church has become - a Vanguard fund. Where is the inspiration to do anything charitable with this money?

"“It could well be that the reporting of the IRS whistleblower caused the SEC to contact them (EPA),” said Markey. “When you don’t have that transparency you are inviting a situation that is so dependent on someone’s good faith and fair dealing you can end up with situations like this… You end up with something looking like the Vanguard fund rather than a religious entity.” "

Developing land and bolstering insurance sound like such noble acts. And if you read this article, one defender of the faith magically makes the money disappear claiming it could be useless during the "Second Coming."

"In the complaint, the Nielsens argue that EPA used tax-exempt donations to rescue two Utah-based entities that were struggling during the 2008 financial crisis: a life insurance company owned by the church and a mall called City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake near the church’s office. They also argue that EPA did not use its proceeds for charitable purposes and that the Church misled members about uses of the money. "

In conclusion, helping people when it covers your ass and amassing a ridiculous amount of money under the auspices of charitable work seem to be the go to direction "The Lord" had in mind for Mormonism. Their claim that their worth of souls is great is greatly exaggerated. They care about covering their asses with counselling services and counting their billions and not earmarking it for any charity.

So this is what I gave up with Mormonism? Sure feels good to get their Moroni off of my back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2021 01:54PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 06:14PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 06:36PM

My thought exactly. What's remarkable is how fintech innovation has rendered the trade in souls so much more difficult.

In the good old Faustian days, you had no choice but to sell your soul in the spot market for whatever the going price was. Now, however, you can mortgage your soul to, say, the Mormon Church, and then take out a second mortgage to the Trump cult. You can even assume a reverse mortgage allowing you to live the high life on monthly payments and only pay off your debt at death. As a result it's grown difficult to calculate the residual value of a soul because parts of it are already owed to other creditors.

Pity Mephistopheles, who now has to hire ratings agencies to discover the value of a person's inner being before he can even offer a price. Margins have fallen dramatically and it's become hard for a devil to make a living.

Why, just the other day I saw a hooded man standing at the corner with a sign saying, "will work for unencumbered spiritual essence."

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 07:06PM

much, that Boyd Packer's soul was of great value and I was just a pain in his ass. I also learned that my boyfriend's/husband's soul was worth more than mine.

If people had seen the letter he sent me (I thought they'd think I was the person who said I was in the letter), they'd all know that they have no value either. Only those elites in SLC have value.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 09:19PM

So much is known now--not like decades ago pre-internet.

What are the souls so willing to be a commodity? At what point is it your own damn fault?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 02:30PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At what point is it your own damn fault?

When it isn't fraud you are falling for.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 09:54PM

Satan is paying great amounts for souls.
It's just what I heard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.