Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 02:18PM

Just another BYU, RM, scamming scumbag. His dad is Area Authority and former BYU Prof Richard N. Holzapfel. Daddy's position probably led to being released on 20K Bail and detain for only 90 minutes. Pathetic.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/10/6/22713486/provo-entrepreneur-who-appeared-on-shark-tank-charged-with-defrauding-woman-mission-belt-holzapfel

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 02:35PM

Fraud? in Utah County? With mormons?

Impossible! I won't hear it. It's almost like there's a systemic pattern of currying favor with well-known mormons to bilk OTHER easily manipulated mormons out of their money.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 02:41PM

The article says "charged". Guilty could come after due process even for Mormons.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 05:11PM

"Could" is the operative word here. Yeah, he "could" be found guilty, but in Utah County, his name has gravitas. Remember that judges, juries, police, solicitors, and the whole crowd are LDS. And rather than create an awkward situation of trying the son of a recipient of the second anointing, they might just dismiss it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 05:29PM

Moral guilt is not the same thing as criminal or judicial guilt. Lots of murderers are found innocent in court but are nonetheless guilty, and conversely many innocent people are unfairly found guilty.

I have no idea whether this man committed the crimes of which he is accused. But we aren't bound by the beyond-a-reasonable-doubt standard in our daily lives, which is good because we shouldn't be barred from questioning conclusions reached by an imperfect judicial system.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 07:08PM

No problem with either opinion but comments such as "scamming scumbag" suggests already tried and found guilty.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 07:16PM

Well, there are the official courts, and then there is the court of public opinion. ;) Having said that, this case looks rather obvious.

Date: October 07, 2021 08:13PM

Let's just do away with a trial and send him straight to prison.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:59AM

Would you be comfortable with O.J. Simpson as your next-door neighbor? After all, he was famously *acquitted* of his murder charge.

Date: October 08, 2021 10:27AM

Way to miss my point.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 02:29PM

Not at all. I don't have to use "innocent until proven guilty" as my standard because I can't use state power to enforce my decision. I'm not going to accept Simpson next door because as far as I'm concerned, he's guilty, no matter what the court said.

If others want to conclude this guy is guilty before trial and call him a scamming scumbag, fine. They aren't bound by the legal standard either.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 04:27PM

Simpson would indeed be a lousy neighbor but at least he's better than Sideshow Bob.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 02:59PM

"expensive luxury items like firearms and gun supplies"

As an aside, firearms and supplies are classified as luxury items?

Re what he is charged with doing, awful if true (which I don't doubt - they seem to have a lot of details and facts about the offences he is accused of).

I too hope the woman gets a house back, one that's suitable for her disabled son.

I note the Mission Belt company is quick to disavow him. I've never heard of it but it seems their product is popular.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 03:02PM

Oh, I took "mission belt" literally. I thought it was something to do with Mormon missions. I visualized lots of pockets and pouches to hold stuff. Haha, my seriously-literal brain strikes again.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 04:06PM

Sad. Sickening. Disgusting.

After reading that I don't know how there could be anything "second degree" about it.

Doesn't pre-meditated carry any weight?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 04:09PM

In Utah, one's "pedigree" is a key factor in sentencing, charging fining, etc. This guy will get a slap on the wrist in Utah County.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 05:49PM

They'll go easy on him. It's not like he stole a house from a vulnerable woman and her disabled child and spent the money and also scammed Larry King. He's a nice Mormon lad.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 04:46PM

I don't doubt you are right. I've seen it many times in Utah over the years. Would love to know the outcome if you follow the case.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 05:06PM

What a slimeball. I would like to know how his wife handles the adultery part. And doesn't his GA dad do anything about this? Naw. He's likely a willing participant, too. Would he get in trouble with the church? Also unlikely, because his dad probably has had the second endowment, and that would just make the Big Fifteen shrug off anything that he does,no matter how seedy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 06:58PM

I hope that the woman gets a good lawyer for a civil suit. I was wondering if her lawyer might go after the title company and the wife as well, since the wife was/is a partner in one of the business ventures which participated in the fraud. I hope that the woman gets every penny back and more.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 07:16PM

He'll be okay as long as he paid tithing on his increase.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 10:30PM

"Investigators believe Holzapfel meets women on dating apps and soon after tries to find out about their financial situation. He then hones in on women who are "vulnerable," such as women who recently lost a loved one and were left with insurance money, Christensen said."

Hone in on the vulnerable? Isn't that one of the things they teach missionaries to do?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 04:43PM

Funny cause it is too true!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 07, 2021 11:41PM

I'm curious how she tricked the righteous priesthood holder into appearing to have defrauded her...

I'd bet anything naked shoulders are involved...<harumph>

That poor, poor man!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 02:13AM

So, it's suggested that Utah / Utah county actually prosecutes white-collar, RM fraudsters ?!

I guess this is a good sign for honest people, at least remotely...

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:02PM

It's not for nothing that Utah is nicknamed the scam capitol of the world.

There are a couple of other fraudsters in the news lately.

Two days ago, Michael Joe Ricks of Bountiful, Utah, LDS, good family man, been on a mission, etc, was arrested on multiple felony drug and prostitution charges.

Then there's Paul Peterson, former missionary in the Marshall Islands and former Phoenix politician. Serving time in prison now for the adoption fraud schemes in Arizona, Utah, and Arkansas, involving women from the Marshall Islands.

These are the ones who got caught, and there are probably many more that you don't hear about.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.