Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:19PM

Yup that Kimball. Seems like she went quite a bit off the farm. Interesting woman. I fall into odd rabbit holes lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natacha_Rambova

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2021 12:20PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:46PM

What a remarkable woman!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:46PM

Wow. She was not your average Utah girl. She had a lot of talents and interests for sure.

Gee, I wonder why she wasn't working with Hugh Nibley on the Egyptian stuff.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 01:00PM

My favorite exMo. Having an affair with the director of the dance company she worked for (and being a professional dancer was scandal enough back then), getting shot by him, running off to Canada to evade the Pinkerton detectives her mother sent to bring her back home, then marrying Rudolph Valentino and dragging him to Utah and opening a dance school with him, all by her mid 20s.

I believe in was the 1990s when the Utah Museum of Fine Arts did a showing of the costumes she donated to them. I imagine the museum still has them in storage somewhere.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 01:39PM

That tidbit fascinates me. I'm wading through Quinn's "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," who touches on the 19th Century's fascination with (what I believe is properly termed) Spiritism.

Mormons apparently sense that their dear departed were, in some metaphysical way, proximate to them. That fascinates me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 04:31PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons apparently sense that their dear departed
> were, in some metaphysical way, proximate to them.

That remains true. At least one prophet has stated that the spirit world, comprising paradise and prison and lasting till the resurrection, is all around us here on earth. And many Mormons believe their relatives visit them in dreams and visions.

The veil is thin.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 04:39PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The veil is thin.

Have you been reading my patriarchal blessing?

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 05:23PM

This is a collection of mormon leaders' quotes about the spirit world. From BYU-I, so all authentic and gen-u-wine.

https://emp.byui.edu/SATTERFIELDB/PDF/Quotes/Spirit%20World.pdf

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 05:06PM

From Connell O'Donovan's very interesting and very readable history of The Gay in mormonism: http://www.connellodonovan.com/abom.html

A RATHER QUEER EVENT AT THE TABERNACLE

Sometime around late May or early June 1928, the famous homosexual clairvoyant, George Benjamin Wehner, conducted a seance at the Mormon Tabernacle.

Wehner had just spent one year traveling through Europe, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East with his lover, and upon return to the United States had reconnected with his longtime patrons, Teresa "Tessy" Phebe Kimball Werner, her sister Winifred Kimball Hudnut, and Mrs. Hudnut's bisexual daughter, Winifred Kimball Shaughnessy (aka Natacha Rambova), the actress, danseuse, and extraordinary movie set designer who was married to silent film star, Rudolph Valentino, allegedly also bisexual.

Teresa and Winifred were the granddaughters of the Mormon Apostle Heber Chase Kimball and his first wife, Vilate Murray. The extremely wealthy Winifred Kimball Hudnut, famous throughout the United States and France as a spiritualist and theosophist, had been introduced to Wehner through her daughter, Natacha Rambova.

The homosexual psychic Wehner (1891-1970) had been a vaudeville actor and singer, and had also composed the very popular Broadway hit, "I Want My Mammy", which had been sung in "black face" by the famous comedic actor Eddie Cantor in 1921's Broadway musical, The Midnight Rounders.

Rambova employed Wehner for quite some time to assist her in contacting her dead ex-husband, Valentino, to receive messages from him in "the astral plane". These messages and her memoirs of their life together were published in 1926 (a year after their divorce and just months after his death) as "Rudy: An Intimate Portrait of Rudolph Valentino by his Wife".

In 1929, George Wehner published his own memoirs of his life as a clairvoyant and stage performer. The very last page of his autobiography tells of his visit with the Kimball family (consistently misspelled by Wehner) in Salt Lake City a year earlier. While in the Tabernacle, Wehner had extraordinary visions of and received "intimate" messages from Heber C. Kimball, Joseph, Emma, and Lucy Smith, Brigham Young, various other Kimball relatives, and finally, none other than the Angel Moroni.

- - "Here, on one never-to-be-forgotten day, the Tabernacle was closed to visitors for a while, and Edward P. Kimbal [sic], the grandson of Heber C., gave us a private recital on the world-famed organ. As the noble tones of this great instrument swelled and reverberated about us in the lofty Tabernacle, I became clairvoyant and was aware of the presence of numerous spirits.

- - "And no wonder! For there I sat with Aunt Tessy, Mrs. Hudnut, and others of their relatives, all of them direct descendants of those brave and daring pioneers who suffered almost insurmountable difficulties for the sake of the religion which they felt to be right. It was a soul-stirring moment, and I had never dreamed of "seancing" in the Mormon Tabernacle of Salt Lake City. But after all, what place more suitable for the communion of souls?

- - "A force far stronger than I began to control me, although I was not unconscious, and I began to whisper rapidly the messages of those returned spirits. The messages were of a personal and intimate nature, and came from Heber C. Kimbal himself, and from his friend Brigham Young, and from Joseph Smith, and Lucy Smith (Joseph's wife who later became the wife of H. C. Kimbal), and from Emma Smith; and from Aunt Margaret Judd Clauson, from William Kimbal (eldest son of Heber C.) and from Phoebe Judd Kimbal, the mother of Aunt Tessy and Mrs. Hudnut.

- - "At last these spirits faded away and I saw the whole interior of the Tabernacle shimmering in a glorious blaze of golden light, in the midst of which appeared in the air above the organ, the figure of a young man in blue robes holding a long trumpet of gold. From my clairvoyant description of this radiant being my friends recognized the spirit as that of the Angel Maroni [sic], the son of Mormon who, it is said, led his fainting people across the plains and deserts to ultimate safety by showing his presence to them from time to time, as a beacon of faith and love.

- - "And what more infallible guide can any of us have than love? Angels of Light ever surround us, leading our faltering footsteps along the path of the Christ, ever upward on the spiraling way of progress and evolution to the very doors of God."

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 09:49PM

Interesting. Thanks EOD :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.