Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 01:33PM

It is raining in Orem
I was out for 20 minutes
I saw 2 near misses
and a very bad rear ender
nobody is paying attention to the rain

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 01:36PM

I see this stuff every day.
Plus I get flipped off every day by drivers who were clearly in the wrong.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 02:13PM

Driving is worse around my area as well -- even during dry conditions, but the rain tends to really bring out the crazy. Constant accidents. What bothers me are the drivers zig-zagging through highway traffic at high speeds during rush hour. We all want to get home, but they are acting like fools over possibly saving 5-10 minutes.

It got worse after people started to go back to work in large numbers. We all expected this, but the driving hasn't improved with the passage of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 02:14PM by summer.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 02:41PM

The human mind is highly susceptible to insanity.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 02:54PM

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 03:12PM

I think it was this year that Utah lowered the limit on Drunk Driving and then increased the speed limit on highways. If you google it, you will find speed related fatalities are 3 times more than alcohol. I asked my TBM relatives in Utah about this and they just said, "That's Utah". There it is.

Note:I don't condone drunk driving and I'm fine with the limit Utah sets.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 05:12PM

IMO the limit Utah sets is a little too tight. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having one glass of wine or one drink with dinner under the Utah limit if I were driving back to my hotel.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 03:30PM

No rain here, but we have worse; it's a college town during football season.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 10:31PM

Ditto

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 05:39PM

Pandemic (pent-up frustration) people, the weekend road warriors have pieces of their cars left everywhere on roads as if it almost were a NASCAR track.

All you have to sometimes do is follow the tire skidmarks..

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 07:16PM

Mad Max was a driving tutorial.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 07:44PM

Too many Mormons take the hymn God Speed the Right literally.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 02:11AM

At least you drive on the right. I hate to think of the accidents caused by this in the UK ;-)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 10:16PM

We haven’t had heavy rain here in so long people forget that their cars are hard to see in the rain, and wet oily roads are slippery.

The first snowfall that sticks is always a learning experience too. They forget snow is slippery. Idiots.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 10:55PM

I drove through the Salt Lake/Provo area in the rain today and didn’t find it bad at all. Nobody drove any worse than any other city. If you want scary driving go to India.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 02:11AM

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 11:11AM

Absolutely Lima, Peru ! :D

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 10, 2021 10:21PM

I think that (even if only subconsciously) the motoring public is beginning to realize this, so why not run that yellow, or red? What are the chances there's a trooper around the curve running LIDAR?

Also, many jurisdictions are suffering manpower reductions. At least a few hundred state troopers in my state will leave and work elsewhere because of vaccination mandates. Seattle may lose as much as 1/3 of their already decimated (and demoralized) PD. Sure is reassuring that "people are basically good!"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 01:34AM

I think you are making up statistics. Besides, the vaccination mandate for all businesses with over 100 employees would include all but the smallest police departments. So where, exactly, are all these supposedly recalcitrant officers going to go?

So far, people have been talking big, but actual firings or resignations have been in the one to two percent range.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 01:47AM

Posted by: ~uforofu~ ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 12:24AM

After seeing more dangerous driving, and busses in Peru, and stunt driving, there was this...

Ostrich chasing bicyclists. Funny-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 01:42AM

~uforofu~ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After seeing more dangerous driving, and busses in
> Peru, and stunt driving, there was this...
>
> Ostrich chasing bicyclists. Funny-
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI

..good gawwwd google is that funny, jurassic park meets Lance Armstrong!

Remember the old days, when the crazies were maybe few and far between?

Doesn't it seem like this could be where the floodgates on weirdness opened wide?
https://youtu.be/6pCH_Ab6SIE

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 09:05AM

My boyfriend and I went to Costco in Ogden (from Cache Valley) and it was raining HARD. I couldn't believe how people were driving. Glad my boyfriend was the one doing the driving. I scare him with my driving. (He scares me with his--I just don't tell him. I refuse to let him drive my car because of how he drives.)

I was thrilled to get the rain, though.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 10:49AM

Did you need to go out today?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 04:54PM

"[I]t’s that all kinds of other chaos have exploded recently. When you can carry an illegal gun with impunity, you can also speed with impunity, drive while high on drugs with impunity, drive the wrong way down one-way street with impunity.

For four decades, traffic deaths and murders have risen and fallen together, according to my analysis of the data. The statistical correlation is as close as “one to one” as you get. Crash and murder deaths rose steadily from 1980, to reach their peak — 701 traffic deaths, 2245 murders — in 1990. Then, they both fell steadily, to lows reached between 2017 and 2019: an average of 216 traffic deaths and 302 murders for each of those three years."

Selective law unenforcement, otherwise known as "the Ferguson Effect." Even though we don't hear much "defund the police" rhetoric, that agenda is moving forward in (if I may be sardonic) "select communities."

The op-ed, in full:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/eric-adams-needs-to-tackle-traffic-mayhem-in-addition-to-criminality/

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 11:57PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The Ferguson Effect?"

Give us a break there, caffiend. If the police want public support, they should stop beating and killing innocent people. What you call "the Ferguson effect" is really the cell phone effect, meaning the sudden publicization of police thuggery. Americans recoil when they see such law enforcement behavior in the Third world and yet you expect them to tolerate it in the United States.

Strange, that.

--------------------
> . . . we don't hear
> much "defund the police" rhetoric. . ."

Why might that be? The reason "we don't hear" it anymore is because your lot put their dog whistles away. That foolish slogan gained little traction outside your propaganda machine.

-----------------
> https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/eric-adams-needs-to-
> tackle-traffic-mayhem-in-addition-to-criminality/

"Mayhem?" The editors of the Post need to invest in a dictionary although I'm not the first to say that. I will ask of you, however, why you take the story from one city and pretend it applies to the country as a whole.

Or were you just looking for sources that supported your contention?

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 11:32AM

You are just noticing now.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 09:28PM

Watch where I'm going
I mean... you're going

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 02:04AM

I see young people on bicycles wearing all black, with backpacks, rolling in the dark streets staring into their cell phones, oblivious to traffic. Several close calls with their nose pressed up against their phones.

The street screamers are still walking up and down the sidewalks hollering at no one in particular during imaginary arguments at 3AM going towards the U of U.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 02:06AM by snagglepuss.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.