Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: magerna ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 05:38PM

Will they wear suits and dresses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 08:32PM

I assume you mean a pre-dedication general public tour, and not a ward temple trip.

I don't know if typical Mormon "Sunday dress" is de rigueur for those public tours, but it certainly would not be out of place. I am sure the standard is somewhat higher than "shirt and shoes required."

If Sunday dress is required, I imagine the ticket would say that. If it doesn't say anything, you could probably get away with "business casual". They would just consider you a clueless gentile.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 08:36PM

See shorts and aloha shirts in nearby churches here.

"Sunday clothes" are not just Mortician Wannabe outfits.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 09:30PM

Depends on what church you are talking about. LDS Inc leans heavily toward Mortician Wannabe.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2021 10:29PM

I think that business casual would be fine. They would just take you for a clueless nevermo who is ripe for the plucking. ;)

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 12, 2021 12:18AM

Just wear nice, clean clothes. It is not a religious ceremony, and hey don't expect you to dress for one.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 12, 2021 01:09AM

I wore all white, and caused a lot of behind-the-scenes angst.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 12, 2021 01:51AM

Clean jeans a T's when I took my son through the refurbished Cardston temple 30 or so years ago.

Posted by: a pinch of Splenda ( )
Date: October 12, 2021 10:24AM

If you can find a set of Mormon underwear, wear them on the outside of your clothes. If anyone questions your decision, just tell them that you want to feel protected in case of an unexpected accident inside the temple.

Also a green apron and baker's hat should be worn. Tell them you're all set to bake some awesome cookies.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 08:48PM

If it were me, I'd dress like a million bucks, so they'd know I was "successful" without them. Wear a nice suit and shoes, but to make it clear I wasn't a member of TCOJCOLDS I'd wear a bright colored shirt with no tie. Or perhaps a black shirt, w/or w/o a black tie. I'd also probably wear a few pins to subtly show support for a variety of things that I know would irritate them.

And I'd smile a lot, so they'd know I was "happy." And I'd laugh a lot, because it would probably irritate them.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 04:09PM

As a woman, I'd wear slacks and a nice blouse to make it clear that I wasn't a Mormon. It's what I would wear if I had to go to a Mormon church for any reason, as it's my version of Sunday best.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 12:57PM

Most of all, you need to wear spats and a swallowtail jacket over a shiny vest with gold watch chain. That would really, really impress the Mormons. A silk top hat? That might be too much.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 01:37PM

It was bad enough when required to go. Why would anyone want to go?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.