Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 10:23AM

Received a wedding invite fair just-graduated from High School TBM (sort of) nephew. Not even sure if he’s 18. In any case they are getting married in the temple. He and his fiancé have not led a particular TBM life judging by their social media posts but obviously managed to qualify for a temple wedding.

Obviously, neither have been on a mission. Just wondering how common this is and is it in any way a result of the pandemic (i.e. not calling missionaries. Used to be there was pressure to go on a mission prior to getting married.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 10:31AM

Not common at all in my experience. Perhaps so madly in love that they chose that over the mission and by qualifying for the temple--- by "whatever means necessary"--- they are keeping their "Mormon Cred Score" in the higher numbers. Nice move if you are pleasing a devout family.

Besides, it was obviously in God's plan. ;)

Some might predict a really big premature baby but not me.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 10:38AM

You read my mind D&D. Quite a few 9lb 7month babies in my family.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 11:53AM

"Just wondering how common this is and is it in any way a result of the pandemic "

I've seen it happen regularly. It is a feature of Mormonism. Alleviate the pressure of missionary service through marriage. My father's cousin actually was able to get married, have a honeymoon, and go on a mission thanks to the recent acquisition of power by his grandfather Hugh Brown.

This has always made me wonder if young married couples aren't a viable thing? Or at least the husband's being in "the service" of their lord while the wives go to school or on their own mission? They could be their own companions. It might be something young Mormons are interested in?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 12:37PM

All questions will be soon answered.
Let us hope that it is not a 8.5 pound 3 months premature baby

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 01:47PM

Most of the GA’s didn’t serve missions, including the top Dawg, who chose his career over serving Jesus.
How is choosing to get married, and getting busy bringing down little spirits from the pre-existence, any less important than pursuing your career?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 03:07PM

my cousin who was 3 days older than I am. She and her husband met in their ward as younger kids and his family moved out of state. They stayed in touch all those years. He didn't go on a mission and they got married in the temple. Her dad was the SP. They did actually make him cut his hair, though. It wasn't that long.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 03:08PM

She died of cancer at age 37.

Date: October 14, 2021 04:11PM

Sorry for your loss. My best friend died of cancer 37 years ago.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 03:33PM

Through love (and the right connections to Mormon leadership) all things are possible.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 03:57PM

I think it was highly discouraged 20 or more years ago. The first question that members would chatter about: If he can marry someone in the temple, then why isn't he planning to serve a mission?

I knew of one who got married in the temple, but didn't serve a mission. He was a late bloomer at 26.

I think the church has become less fussy about those who choose not to go on a mission, but get married in the temple (and the church will HOPE that the newlyweds will stay active in the church).

Date: October 14, 2021 04:11PM

This is news to me. My experience was any "worthy" Mormon was welcome as long as they were of legal age. My friend in high school get himself temple married right after graduation. And this was in the eighties.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 06:00PM

Well maybe.... they have had sex and the bishop told the boy he had two options, go on a mission or get married.He took her virginity and he has to pay a price. It will be a marriage from hell and they will end up divorcing. When they see each other on campus they will act like they don't know each other.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 06:43PM

That's my guess too.

He and his girlfriend are young and Mormon but likely hot and heavy for each other. He probably has already gotten a lot of flack for not wanting to go on a mission (likely because of having a serious girlfriend) and the next best choice for this couple, in Mormon eyes, is to get married in temple.

TBM's would rather see 17-18 year olds get married than have "unmarried" sex.

If he's refusing to go on a mission and he's getting hot and heavy with his Mormon girlfriend, best to get them in the temple now, rather than later!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.