Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 08:47AM

I just saw that the lyrics of the song come from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

Does that mean they had to pay royalties to the Bible?

I never heard of this before.
I always liked the song.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 10:58AM

It means they pay royalties to Pete Seeger who originally wrote the music and recorded the song.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 05:52AM

I believe the Bible is considered to be in the public domain.

Edit- The wording for the song comes from the King James Version of the Bible. Technically the KJV is copyrighted by the English Monarch, and officially never loses its copyright within England. So perhaps there may have had to have been royalties paid in England for the song. But outside of England, the KJV is essentially considered to be in the public domain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 05:57AM by alsd.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 10:24AM

Joe Smith set a precedent by not paying royalties, so they didn't have to either.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 12:07PM

When will the Book of Mormon be public domain?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 20, 2021 04:33PM

If memory serves, current copyright law states that a copyright can be held until 75 years after the death of the original author, but that is for the original work. So, since it's way past 75 years since Joseph Smith died, you can do anything you want with the first (or first few) editions of the Book of Mormon.

It is those editions that cause problems, however. Each time the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints releases a new edition of the Book of Mormon, that edition is treated as an entirely new book and a new copyright starts on it. So, while copyright issues would not be a problem for the first few releases of the Book of Mormon, any editions released later than 75 years ago (such as the one deleting the word "white" from the phrase "white and delightsome") are fully protected under current copyright law.

At least, that's what my memory says.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 12:10PM

Ha! Yesterday I was practicing with the band and we worked on Turn, Turn, Turn....I suppose I owe someone for that? Maybe I'll send Pete Seager a few bucks and a pack of bacon.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 01:31PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe I'll send Pete Seager a
> few bucks and a pack of bacon.

Likely Earth Bucks aren't legal tender in Heaven.

But I bet they'd take the bacon. :)

(Pete Seeger left us in 2014 - seems like yesterday). Love that guy.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 02:52PM

Yeah, I sort of remember his passing. Oh well, saves me a few bucks and a pack of bacon. I'll be sure and think about him when we play it. And if they don't already have my home cured and smoked bacon in heaven, then it can't really be heaven :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 03:03PM

I saw some bacon in a farmers market yesterday with the brand name Klondike. I forgot to check out if it really comes from the Yukon. But I've been thinking of that bacon ever since. I bet it's delish. I longed for some last night to go with my perogy dinner. Heaven on earth. :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 20, 2021 02:30PM

I have a suspicion that "French Vanilla" coffee doesn't come from France. Quebec, maybe?

Ray: I can't imagine an amateur group would be hit up for royalties, but if you recorded it or played it professionally, Seeger's business heirs would probably expect royalties. If you play pro and have a business agent, he should be on top of these matters.

Query to you legal beagles: I write and sometimes use a couple of lines, maybe a stanza, from a pop song. Do I have to get permission or pay royalties? How much can I quote for free?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 12:24PM

Some low GA referenced his GC talk to those lyrics back in the 1990s. I am sure it pissed off a bunch of the curmudgeons at the time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.