Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 11:37AM

Powell had multiple myeloma, a blood cell cancer that compromised his immune system. Even though he was fully vaccinated the covid virus killed him. Plus he was 84 years old.
This is not an argument that vaccines do not work.
It was a breakthrough case.

GET VACCINATED !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 11:54AM

the news on while I'm working. That would be a GOOD BIT OF INFORMATION for them to share!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 12:54PM

He was extremely immunocompromised.

While COVID pushed him off the cliff, the sad truth is that he probably died earlier than he would have if everyone had been vaccinated. We should get vaccinated to help protect the young and compromised people. It's not just selfishly evaluating if we think personally we would survive.

COVID deaths among fully vaccinated people can happen, but compared to the death rate among unvaccinated, it is not justification for not getting a vaccine.

RIP Mr. Powell.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 01:13PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He was extremely immunocompromised.
>
> While COVID pushed him off the cliff, the sad
> truth is that he probably died earlier than he
> would have if everyone had been vaccinated. We
> should get vaccinated to help protect the young
> and compromised people. It's not just selfishly
> evaluating if we think personally we would
> survive.

Exactly, dagny. There is more to getting vaccinated than just protecting ourselves. The second half of the equation is that by being vaccinated we also cut way down on the chances that we will infect others. It's quite disturbing to see (1) people who don't seem to comprehend this simple concept of infection control and (2) people who don't seem to care about what happens to others.

If I accidentally/inadvertently pass on cold germs to a family member I'm horrified. I can't imagine the distress I'd feel if I infected someone with a deadly virus because of my own cluelessness, carelessness or selfish attitude/decisions.

I saw a discussion on TV this morning about Mr. Powell's passing. So sad as he undoubtedly had a lot more living to do and more to share. I'm sorry for his family and friends who are devastated. He sure contributed much over many years. RIP

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 02:13PM

When I was little, my dad was stationed at Mildenhall AFB in Suffolk, England. We lived in base housing. Across the street from us was a Black family with a daughter my age. We played together and moved to the DC area at about the same time. Her dad was a high ranking Army officer who was close friends with Colin Powell.

When my friend was 21, she graduated from Princeton and reported to Fort Bragg to begin her Army service commitment (ROTC paid for her education). While she was there, an enlisted man attempted to rape her after she wouldn’t dance with him. He shot and killed her.

Colin Powell spoke at my friend’s funeral. I have always thought very highly of him. So does my husband, who also did 30 years in the Army.

May he Rest In Peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 02:13PM by knotheadusc.

Date: October 18, 2021 02:57PM

That's awful about your friend, knotheadusc. I hope they caught the guy and he rotted in prison. What a tragic loss of a promising young life.

Your husband's 30 years of service is a big accomplishment. That's a long time and a lot of dedication.

I'm wondering how Colin Powell would have contracted COVID. It's a detail they may or may not share. I hadn't heard that he had Parkinson's or multiple myeloma. He would have been vulnerable indeed.

To many, 84 years of age sounds way old. But many of our elders in that age range still have much to contribute and certainly a wealth of experience. Too, of course, it's still a great loss when a loved one goes, no matter their years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 02:58PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 03:15PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To many, 84 years of age sounds way old. But many
> of our elders in that age range still have much to
> contribute and certainly a wealth of experience.

What about Russell Nelson?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 03:46PM

This is an obituary for my friend. I lost touch with her when my family left the DC area. She really was a very accomplished woman and would have gone far.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lbryan.htm

And yes, they did catch the perpetrator and he did go to Leavenworth. He was a member of the Old Guard before this happened.

Incidentally, she graduated from the high school I would have attended if we hadn’t moved out of Fairfax County. She was a year ahead of me. My aunt taught there, and one of my sisters graduated from there.

It was so weird to hear about this when it happened. I was in college and my mom called me to tell me. I hadn’t seen her in a long time, but remembered her well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 03:52PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 03:12PM

What if the vaccination caused the blood cancer by wiping out his immune system? Is that a bug or a feature?

Date: October 18, 2021 03:24PM

Colin Powell had had multiple myeloma (a form of blood cancer) for a long time and had been undergoing treatment for it for many years, I've read.

His COVID vaccinations did NOT cause his blood cancer (that is not a known side effect of the vaccinations). His cancer came first, then his vaccinations many years later.

Of note too, nobody is saying that being vaccinated renders one 100% immune to COVID. A fully vaccinated person dying of COVID is not unheard of. However, it is far more rare than unvaccinated people doing so.

It is well known that even with vaccination, a person who is immunocompromised (such as Powell) is highly susceptible to infection and death from COVID. That is one major reason that health officials are asking for people to get vaxxed - so there will be more protection for people who are immunodeficient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 03:25PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 03:31PM

Are you really that desperate to find "evidence" the vaccines are dangerous?

Maybe kale compromised his immune system, because I've never liked kale.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 03:51PM

+144,000; bravo!

Date: October 18, 2021 03:46PM

From the Health Canada web site:

Common side effects of COVID-19 vaccination can last from a few hours to a few days, and include fever, fatigue, headache and pain at the injection site.

Rare (and potentially severe) side effects are allergic reactions. That's why you're asked to wait 15 minutes at the clinic after your vaccination as a severe reaction (i.e. anaphylaxis) likely would occur during that time frame.

Other RARE effects that have been reported include:

mRNA vaccines:

Myocarditis and pericarditis
Bell’s palsy (facial paralysis)

Viral vector vaccines:

Blood clots with low platelets
Capillary leak syndrome
Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)

-----

If a severe side effect such as cancer developed it would in all likelihood take time to note, study and confirm it. It most likely would absolutely not happen overnight or even in months. It seems quite a reach for an excuse to avoid vaccination. I might get cancer from my bacon sandwich. Does it stop me eating it? Nope. We have to be logical or at least reasonable about these things. Too, I'd rather fight the monster that's closest to me and face potential others down the road when the time comes. I wouldn't decline a potentially lifesaving vaccine today for fear of an obscure potential future threat.

I'm guessing that the thinking re the known side effects and risks (listed above) is that those can be ameliorated/treated whereas contracting COVID-19 or variants is a crap shoot so it's better to get the vaccine.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/vaccines/safety-side-effects.html#:~:text=Common%20side%20effects%20of%20COVID,pain%20at%20the%20injection%20site

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 05:50PM

bradley said:
>What if the vaccination caused the blood cancer by wiping out his immune system? Is that a bug or a feature?

Bradly, I don't know if you meant that as humor, but it was a shitty thing to say. Comments like that fuel misinformation among the scientifically illiterate who want any excuse not to get vaccinated.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 05:46PM

Very sad indeed. RIP Colin Powell.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 11:36PM

He was a great man.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 19, 2021 01:43PM

Where there are honorable among thieves they are diminished but never extinguished.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 06:15PM

I think that most Americans would agree that Colin Powell was a good man, and a dedicated soldier and public servant. He really was the best of what we have.

From what I've read, the two-dose Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which work so wonderfully on most of the population, don't get nearly so far with the immunocompromised. Hence the need for them to get the "third shot," not to be confused with the booster shot which is for the rest of us. The third shot is meant to help the immunocompromised with improved immunity.

I'm truly sorry that Covid was the cause of his demise. With his age and health status, I suppose it could have been anything at all that might have taken him down -- the flu, pneumonia, an infection, or in this case (sadly,) Covid.

RIP, Colin Powell. We could use many more like you.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 08:22PM

Colin Powell (I much prefer Colin over Co-lin) was a quality individual in many ways. I think he was used by Bush in the push for war with Iraq but had the integrity to admit as much I believe.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 08:35PM

Clinton is out of the hospital and no longer in danger from sepsis. I had an almost identical experience some years ago and he would not have been released if he was in danger.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 11:35PM

Mormons: "Fill up the Baptismal font, We've got another dead dunk!"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 19, 2021 12:19PM

RIP to a very accomplished and elegant man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.