Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jeff loves Chili dog ( )
Date: October 20, 2021 10:27PM

Going over my California LDS Data BAse

Garden Grove has 3 Chapels. A while back 20 years or so there
were 11 Wards in these 3 Chapels.

Now there are only 4 Wards. It hard to tell given LDS dice and cut but this is a major shrinkage

More to come

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2021 10:32PM

Thank you for your service!

I love threads and posts that use church sources to show the rock rolling back UP the hill.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 12:26AM

The excuse usually given is that Mormon's can't afford to live there ("there" being any location in California) anymore, although the area population has almost always gone up, so *some people* seem to be able to live there.

I expect most LDS youth in California during the Prop 8 debacle, and perhaps a fair number of adult members, were embarrassed, perhaps even humiliated to be identified as Mormon, and bailed out when an opportunity presented itself.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 07:25PM

Reminds me of an Yogi-ism about a popular NYC restaurant: "No one goes there anymore, its too crowded."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 10:43AM

The title of your post made me see a metaphor of the Church as an man going swimming in a very cold lake.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 01:25PM

Reminds me of the very first dirty joke a coworker told me when I started my first job.... Why do you not put lard on a condom? It is a shortening.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 10:49AM

Given that the mormon church routinely uses inflated membership numbers, it would be hard to report a large ward of 400 members when only 13-14 show up.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 12:19PM

Where I am obliged to attend from time to time
there were a whopping 80 out of over 500 in attendancelast sunday

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2021 04:39PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 12:28PM

Again, success is whatever they claim. Like when the Church News cheerfully announced the organization of 3 new stakes. The new stakes, however, were created from the consolidation of 5 stakes, for a net loss of 2 stakes. I'm sure that the faithful Mormons were ecstatic about the 3 "new" stakes, and all the "progress" they represented.

I am also very connected to the closure of the Catania, Italy, mission, due to, according to the church, they enormous success they've had in the region, making a mission unnecessary. Seriously!, this is how they couched the sad information. Italy has gone from one mission to two missions to three missions, to four missions, to three missions, and back to two missions. I fully suspect that it will go back to one mission in the not-too-distant future. There are also no longer missions in Ireland, Netherlands, Austria, and Switzerland; all those members are now served by missions outside their countries. Engh, somehow, this doesn't speak "success!" to me, personally.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 03:52PM

What this is called is "True but not accurate"

Posted by: A New Name ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 01:48PM

Camarillo CA Stake had 11 wards just 10 years ago, 8 English, two Spanish, and a YSA ward. Today the total 5 and a half, 4 English, one Spanish and the YSA ward which is now shared with the Ventura Stake. A member of the SP told leaders that California is losing 5000 members a year to moving to cheaper places.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 07:37PM

cheaper by 10% At least!

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 02:25PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.