Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 11:35AM

In reply to this.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2399648,2400024#msg-2400024

I don't know if Peter Coviello is Mormon or not. Probably not. So he isn't one of Mormonism's folk at their fringe. My bad. His curriculum vitae doesn't scream Mormon. He is apparently more like Jan Shipps.

And I haven't read his book. But the reviews I have read aren't leading me to it.

I don't understand how you think he has written anything of value for exMormons?

"But even here, Coviello’s theoretical structure might take him a step too far. At issue is the fact that the women who participated in polygamy consistently and nearly univocally described their experiences in non-carnal terms. Coviello engages this—almost exclusively through Zina Huntington’s tale, who shouldn’t be taken as representative—by explaining that their reminiscences were written decades later, and that their justifications in fact represent their embracing the secular discourse of monogamy (thus making them “reluctant” polygamists). But besides overlooking earlier accounts—we do have women’s voices in the 1840s and 1850s, after all—I fear that theorizing women’s accounts to mean their opposite could be another form of silencing, an ironic and unfortunate extension of the patriarchal system itself. I’m reluctant, then, to embrace an interpretive strategy that does not let the women speak for themselves."
https://benjaminepark.com/2020/01/27/mormonism-as-the-hinge-upon-which-secularism-pivots/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 11:45AM

Simpleton that I am, I prefer books with happy endings.

If I’m told that a dog dies in the book, nothing else you can tell me will ever get me to read it.

I’m a fan of the silly notion that books aside, in real life it’s never too late to have a happy ending. Of course this isn’t true, but as some clever mormon opined, some truths aren’t useful, right?

Zoner who??

Date: October 21, 2021 02:03PM

Funny, I thought you liked the salacious books? This one is a rare looking back to Mormonism as some sort of perversion in a good way. It marginalizes women very subtly but then aren't a lot of salacious books in the business of doing this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2021 02:04PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 21, 2021 02:53PM

I’m against more than I’m for! …probably at a 5 to 4 ratio.

I take little seriously and struggle with adverbs and truth.

Date: October 21, 2021 02:55PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take little seriously and struggle with adverbs
> and truth.

Oh, so you are a lawyer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.