Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nuggett ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 06:32PM

Do you like it? Considering a move there from the Bay Area...too expensive here.

Even though it is close to Palmyra, NY doesn't look like there are many Mormons there...

Anything I should know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 06:37PM

>> Anything I should know? <<

My sister in law lives in Maine and said people in Maine call people from Massachusetts "Mass-holes" and people in Massachusetts call people from Maine "Maine-iacs".

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 06:41PM

Cold, long winters and few if any really big cities. Have family who live just outside Manchester (Hookset) and enjoy the rural NE scenery when I visit. NH ranks high on most top ten lists.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 06:52PM

My nephew and his family live in Portland. It's an attractive city, especially in the summer, but home prices have gotten insanely expensive due to Boston people relocating up there. I personally couldn't afford anything decent there, but coming from SF, the market might look good to you. Lots of older stock.

You've likely never known cold in the U.S. unless you've done a New England winter (maybe the Dakotas are close.) The east coast has high humidity, and the cold in the northeast goes right through to your bones. You also pay high heating bills.

Maine in the summer is heavenly, but winter is a whole 'nuther story. New Hampshire has a lot of similarity. A number of my high school friends inherited family summer vacation homes in either Maine or New Hampshire.

The Mormon presence is negligible. New Englanders can take a long time to warm up to you, but once they do, you have a friend for life. Maine people don't have a lot of patience for glitz and glamour. L.L. Bean is more their speed.

Oh, and if you are in the U.S., you always, always go "down" to Maine, not up. See if you can figure out why. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2021 07:03PM by summer.

Date: October 22, 2021 07:22PM

TY, Yeah I know winter is a long cold beast up there, but I'd rather deal with that than a hot muggy summer in TX/MS/AL/GA the weather is weirdly perfect in California, that's why everyone wants to live here and why housing prices are nuts.

What do you mean by "Down to Maine"?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 07:39PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 08:48PM

Next time you're in Beantown look me up and we can do lunch, or something. I always love meeting RfM'ers in person!

Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 08:12PM

I lived in Portland for 2 years, ya, it's cold in winter [as in nor'easter cold] if you ski, lots of resorts within 2 hr drive, affordable health care, clean, safer than most places I've lived, spectacular autumns, great lobster rolls, didn't see a lot of sand beaches with the exception of Old Orchard Beach a fun summer resort town, south of Portland, I would live there again, Boston is 100 mi. away and the mo is insignificant there from my experience

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 10:02PM

Are you looking to retire there? That is a whole other can of worms.

Date: October 22, 2021 10:13PM

No, I have a job lined up in my (very niche) industry.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 10:34PM

Here is a little bit I thought might be of interest that includes the cost of living :)

https://www.topretirements.com/state/new_hampshire.html
https://www.topretirements.com/state/maine.html

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 22, 2021 10:56PM

NH offers tax advantages: no income or sales taxes. That's partly old Yankee philosophy of expecting people to look after themselves, and not depend on government largess. Also, public services are determined at the local level, which means property taxes may be high, especially so close to the Massachusetts border. The further you get from the southern border, the lesser the local taxes, with desirable vacation/resort areas being the exception.

Credit NH for providing the essential services at good costs. NH pays about 1/2 of Massachusetts does, but you'll notice the superior work the moment you you cross into the Granite State: smoother roads, wider berms and breakdown lanes, better guard rails, etc.

Winters? You get used to them. Most towns have snow plowing down to a good system.

Regarding Maine winters? Mark Twain said, "Maine is a state of two seasons: winter, and July."

Last: the reference to direction in Maine is actually "Down East" or "Downeast." (There is, or was, a state magazine with that name.) The phrase comes from navigating by sail from Boston: Your direction is "east(erly)," and "down-wind." Hence, "Down-East." This is especially true of the coastal region northeast of Bar Harbor, up to the Maritimes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 01:17PM

Yup, that's why a New Englander will go down (or down east) to Maine. It's an old sailing reference.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.