Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 06:29PM

In my opinion all religions are man made derogitives based on ancient Sumerian annals and legends. Down through the ages they were condensed and modified to fit the then current sociological conditions.
A group of these were then compiled into what became known as the Hebrew Bible and much later translated into what is now known as The King Jame Version of the Bible.
Also there were other books such as the Koran, the Vedas, the Talmud etc.
Throughout recorded history human beings have needed something upon which to base their very reason for being. Therefore they grouped together ancient writings, modified them where necessary and set them up as sacred documents so they
would have something upon which to justify their very existence
TO BE CONTINUED AFTER YOU HAVE ALL HAD A CHANCE TO JUMP ON MY SHOULDERS AND SO A TAP DANCE ON MY BRAIN!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 06:32PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 07:06PM

And now The Cat feels the heat!

Someday I’ll spill my personal beans on what Life means and why there are those among us WITH NO BELLYBUTTON!!!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 07:18PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my opinion all religions are man made
> derogitives based on ancient Sumerian annals and
> legends.

I don't think you can say this about "all" religions, because many religions (Native American religions, Australian aborigine religions, native African religions, Polynesian religions, etc.) had no contact with other parts of the world until recent centuries.

> Down through the ages they were condensed
> and modified to fit the then current sociological
> conditions.

Mostly true. Certainly different peoples influenced each other as they interacted with each other or became aware of each other, and these initially "outside" influences were often quite important in religions we are familiar with now.

> A group of these were then compiled into what
> became known as the Hebrew Bible...

True.

> ...and much later translated into what is now known as The
> King James Version of the Bible.

True for Christians.

> Also there were other books such as the Koran, the
> Vedas, the Talmud etc.

[Note: I don't think you mean "Talmud" here. The Talmud is a record of discussions and intellectual arguments about specific passages in the [Jewish] Bible (often initiated as a result of real life problems which connect to these passages). These discussions and arguments continue today, mostly 24 hours a day around the planet, for most of the days of each current year, and the debates and conclusions to some of these will be incorporated into the [official] texts at some point in the future. I think the word you probably thought you were using was "Torah."]

According to Google, the Vedas date back to 6,000 BCE, which is more than 8,000 years ago. Hinduism (the Vedas are an important part of Hinduism) is generally considered the oldest religion in the world.

Google also says that Jews (as an identifiable, separate, people) began during the second millennium BCE, with written records of this dating back to the 13th-century BCE.

The Koran was written in the late sixth, or early seventh, century CE, about 1,400 years ago. When it comes to Islam, the discussion is basically about "our" times.

> Throughout recorded history human beings have
> needed something upon which to base their very
> reason for being. Therefore they grouped together
> ancient writings, modified them where necessary
> and set them up as sacred documents so they
> would have something upon which to justify their
> very existence

I don't agree with this statement because I don't think humans were trying "to justify their very existence." Instead, I think these various religions were (and ARE, at least most of the time) attempts to explain the "whys" of life: why do people die, why do people live, etc., and also the related questions of life: does cause-and-effect have anything to do with why I am alive, or why I die/will in the future die, why my child died, why my neighbor is rich and I am poor, why my other neighbor is sickly yet I am always healthy, and so on.

> TO BE CONTINUED AFTER YOU HAVE ALL HAD A CHANCE TO
> JUMP ON MY SHOULDERS AND SO A TAP DANCE ON MY
> BRAIN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 07:19PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 09:10PM

Two quibbles.

The Vedas do not and could not date to 6,000 BCE. They are based in Indo-European mythology and written in Sanskrit, which is an Indo-European language. But the Yamnaya steppe people who were the original proto-IE culture did not come into existence until about 3,000 BCE and Sanskrit came significantly later.

Brahmanism didn't appear in India till about 1,000 BCE, after the IE civilizations were established in the subcontinent. Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism evolved out of Brahmanism and into separate religions around 500 BCE, give or take two or three centuries. The timetable is similar to the emergence of that sister religion, Zoroastrianism, next door in Iran.

Quibble the second. I don't know how the Jews could have existed as a separate people in 1,300 BCE. The claims that the Hebrews existed as an independent people at that time are dubious at best--and there are no references to Jews at that time. The earliest chapters of the Bible are some of the Psalms and they date to about 800 BCE or a little earlier. Israel and Judah didn't really emerge from the Hebrew background until that period.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 08:16PM

The Americas were populated and cutoff from the Old World before the Sumerian culture arose. Yet they had their own religions.

Posted by: moremany-ME ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 08:25PM

Once they found THEY COULD CONTROL OTHERS, they got excited... and called that the spirit.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 08:26PM

Australian aboriginals have been there for at least 40,000 years. They also have religious notions.

But maybe you can tie it in with ancient Aliens.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 08:50PM

Great responses
Keep them comming

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.