Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 01:14PM

Sunday I attended the viewing of my neighbor's grandmother in Independence, MO. She was old and I figure probably closer to my age now, a bit older when her family left their original church primarily over this according to my neighbor.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/04/06/RLDS-Church-women-may-join-priesthood/6891450075600/

While we were driving away from the Stake Center I looked back at the giant formerly RLDS Temple and had a thought. This woman had lived over half of her lifetime in the church across the street and yet she was remembered in a Stake Center. Hopping from Josephite to Brighamite at her halfway point.

And in wondering I wondered if today, nearing 40 years on if the same sort of exodus would happen to Brigham's church if they ordained women to apostles and all the other male only callings? Could a man be Relief Society President? LOL!

But seriously, I wonder since...

"D. Michael Quinn says founder Joseph Smith taught that women receive the faith’s priesthood as part of a sacred temple rite, but the doctrine is virtually unknown to the modern church and its male leadership."
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-02-06-me-962-story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 02:58PM

LDS Inc will probably just open more callings to women without “giving” them the priesthood, like they did letting women serve as baptism witnesses. I expect more of this, and little resistance by rank and file members.

The current schism is over vaccines, masks and the Bundyites and other preppers being too extreme even for Mormon leaders. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. I really don’t know what to expect long term.

Date: November 02, 2021 03:33PM

“Giving” them the priesthood might get rid of a lot of anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and the Bundyites.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 05:01PM

Agreed.

The fault line is probably between moderate urban TBMs and fringe groups. The latter are a lot more likely to be angered by a change in the priesthood rules, as their predecessors were with the 1978 pronouncement regarding those of African ancestry.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 07:04PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LDS Inc will probably just open more callings to
> women without “giving” them the priesthood...

Essentially de-priesthood-izing some callings.

Just like the lack of members without some Cain-ish blood caused a shortage of priesthood holders in places like Brazil, which contributed to the lifting of the priesthood ban, the growing global imbalance of men and women in the church will force the brethren to rethink who gets the priesthood, or at least which callings require the priesthood. But the prospect of women leading men and men answering to women probably freaks the hell out of them.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 07:09PM

Or maybe they'll first eliminate some callings and call it streamlining or some such thing. Rusty's Glowing Pen of Revelation may soon have something to say on the matter.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 01:13AM

Over the years they have revamped the eternal priesthood.

Getting rid if the office if the Patriarch of the Church. Eliminating a prophet seer and revelator and the one hereditary position in the church.

Emeritus status for certain positions.

Elevating the 70 from a position in the wards no one wanted to general authority status.

The basic curtailing of high priests. Combining elders and high priests into one quorum. No longer ordaining old men to high priests once they age out of the elders quorum.

Authorizing priests to perform baptisms for the dead.

Ordaining 11 year old boys deacons.

Then add women now

Witness baptisms (a former priesthood function)

Teenage girls act as matrons in the temple.

And a few others I forgot.

So maybe, slowly, more positions will open. Perhaps returning to women performing healing blessings (again).

Date: November 03, 2021 03:48PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps returning to women performing healing
> blessings (again).

I believe this would be worse than the status quo. Women would have "the power" but not the "priesthood." It worked 150 years ago but today I think it would be seen as something Mormon women would probably not care to do or would threaten Mormon men as to make it about as common in Mormonism as Mormons reading the essays. It would be a non-event that if women took seriously would make Mormonism look weirder than it already does.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 01:52AM

You can only be Relief Society President if you self-identify as female.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 01:55AM

Mormon women are NOT in favor of receiving the priesthood, according to the only polling I’ve seen on the subject.
MORmON men were more in favor of giving the Priesthood to women (how gentlemanly).

I think the best explanation is either
A: Massive delusion
B: Stockholm syndrome or
C: womoen are already overburdened and over worked and mostly have zero desire to join the Boys Club, Dry Priests.

Date: November 03, 2021 10:30AM

Thanks for not answering the question but opinigeon holing my thread into your cat box.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 01:52PM

Do they still have a 'stake high council'?

That would be a GAS to have women in that group, Especially if some of the members Got HIGH just before their meetings...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 01:59PM

IMO, as long as Catholics are getting away with an all male priesthood, Mormons don't need to worry about that issue.

Date: November 03, 2021 03:49PM

I don't think they are worried. I was wondering if it would fracture the church like it did the other church.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 02:20PM

that would be the "priestess-hood" OPie ~

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 03:26PM

they trivialize the value of the (claimed) 'Power & Authority to act in the name of God' by withholding it;

If it's only to be used for God's purposes... Why wouldn't anyone be eligible?

- those males who become trans-gender

- women who become males

- PH holders who become active homosexual/gay?

and, Wymens

Oh, bc it goes against the established patterns of ChurchCo, that's why (cough)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2021 03:27PM by GNPE.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 05:50PM

It's like when the church had to figure out what to do with people who turned out to be partially (for lack of a better word) black. How were they supposed to keep a black person out of the club if he looked white? Expecting the patriarch to identify which of the 12 tribes the person was from in a blessing wasn't reliable. They needed a "revelation" to solve that one. Too bad they weren't inspired enough to realize DNA would spoil their exclusionary efforts.

Now there might be enough cases of people with gender ambiguity or identification issues that the church won't be able to make hard and fast rules to solve. Time for a revelation.

It's like they never learn.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 03:44PM

was their idea of having the ultimate authority and the only people who could ask God for answers. Well, I found out they were DEAD WRONG and how could I support an organization that sent so many people down the wrong path for them all because they think they have discernment.

So they wouldn't have to give the females the priesthood if people really thought about the reality of it all.

As for me, I never wanted the priesthood. I've said before that my dad wasn't big on the priesthood. He didn't really talk about it. It was in his actions. He hated being called on to help give blessings. He was the HT to my friends I worked with--a couple. She wasn't mormon. She loved my dad coming to visit as they never talked about mormonism. He was just their friend. She was furious when they changed to someone new and would no longer let the HT in their house.

I "loved" being a single mother and they thought I needed the priesthood in my home so they sent a couple as my HTs. I knew them both as it was. Everyone thought I must not have the "spirit" in my home. My home was pretty low key and we didn't argue much. So I knew they were full of it when they did this.

There is SO MUCH WRONG with the priesthood. Why would any woman really want it? Whatever it is. I know it doesn't exist, so what's the big deal?

Date: November 03, 2021 03:51PM

But would Mormons have a mass exodus like the RLDS did?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 04:19PM

Interesting question.

I don't see a mass exodus because of that. Or anything I can think of. Although I do believe it would causes a lot of gulping and some upset.

In today's culture, the men would have no choice but to welcome it or be accused of misogyny (like any Mormon has ever been that, haha). I think the women would just be thinking, "Oh great! Now I have to pass the sacrament too on top of everything else?

The TBMs who are still hanging tight are like my mother, my family. They aren't concerned with what the church does or doesn't do. They are only concerned in showing their great faith in the church. They are "in it to win it."

We don't question the ways of the Lord. And, everything is for a reason!

Date: November 03, 2021 05:45PM

Then LDS is/was much more a cult than RLDS was back in the day.

If Rubicon is correct and LDS is going the way RLDS was back in the day in attempting to be Christian just like everyone else then maybe in the future if they do grant women equal say/pay/er, priesthood there might be a big exodus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.