Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 12:42PM

I was just musing over the recent "wedding" invitation from a TBM nephew which deems us not worthy to attend the actual wedding but invites us to one of those "receptions" featuring a section denoted "schedule". No food, and 1.5 hours (that's 1.5 hours) devoted to dancing. The most amusing and embarassing (for them) part of the whole thing is the inclusion of their venmo tag right on the invite.

Crass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 01:17PM

HAHAHAHa. They've updated the word crass.

I had to ask what it was. Venmo on the invitation? I just told everyone in the office and got a lot of wrinkled nose "ewww-tacky, tacky, tacky!" responses. And let me tell you this is no hoity toity bunch responding that way. If they think its tacky . . . they are the experts.

What happened to Mormon Punch and date nut bread cooked in soup cans so you could have dainty round slices and the Mia Maids serving it all? In my day Mormons still had some style and some hospitality.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 01:35PM

Sounds like a generation slap, er gap. It might have actually been meant to lower the age of the attendees with the no food, dancing, and venmo.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 02:13PM

Perfectly designed to ensure that the only attendees are the ones with no self-respect.

It wouldn't surprise me to have the couple make an MLM pitch sometime during the reception. The audience will already be self-selected for meek submissiveness.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 02:16PM

Weddings are events where it is socially acceptable to feel smugly superior to those people not as cool as we are. I've always found that kind of amusing.

Mormons have largely eschewed the $15k-$35K blowout weddings, probably out of necessity. Too many children to afford to do that, I think it is one of the few things they got right. Overblown weddings make me cringe.

Date: November 04, 2021 02:41PM

I agree about the overblown "look at me" weddings. The money would be better squirreled away for the divorce lawyers the way marriages last these days.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 02:46PM

asking for cash can, in a reasonable world, in no way be deemed "getting it right".

There is a huge gap between being "overblown" and being downright tacky and cheap.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 02:47PM

I was just telling my daughter yesterday how an envelope would be sent around during Relief Society meeting. Those that wanted could put in a couple of dollars (usually 2 dollars) and write her name & amount of donation on the outside. Some good sister would take the money and buy the gift. Sometimes it was a vacuum and other times-- a couple of towels.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 02:50PM

Mormons have always been that way. I read an article The Atlantic magazine published in 1864 on the Mormons in Utah. They sent a reporter there and Heber C Kimball and Brigham Young were very much braggers with Heber C Kimball being the worst of them.

Of course what the Mormons built out of a desert wilderness was impressive but there were smug attitudes about the US falling into civil war and after the US was ruined people would come to the Mormons for help and join the flock because their way of life was superior.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 02:03PM

When Mormons accomplish something noteworthy or exceptional, other Mormons love to claim it's because they're Mormons, even though many more non-Mormons have accomplished the same things, or done even greater things. And in many cases, those Mormons accomplished what they did DESPITE being Mormon rather than because of it.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 04:04PM

It is usually not the TBest of TBM that accomplish great things.

It is the Mormons that make exceptions to the rules. Hanging out with non-members, working on Sunday, attending events were liquor may be severed.

Outside of being a dentist in Draper I do not know how you could be Mormon and successful.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 04:01PM

I worked in an office with many divorcees. I didn't have to, but it was nice to get out of the house and do this job I have. One of them was getting married for the 4th time--a few times in the temple. She thought I was horrible for being an adulteress with my boyfriend. Her invite asked for cash donations, too. She was having a reception for her 4th wedding.

My boyfriend's son's wedding lasted 3 days. I cannot begin to imagine how much they spent. It was a beautiful wedding on the top of a mountain in CO and the food was excellent, BUT my daughter had a small reception, only inviting friends and family. They paid for it. I paid for my own wedding, too. I had a good job and my daughter has a good job.

Date: November 04, 2021 05:24PM

The best wedding I've ever been to was very inexpensive and not in a religious venue. The reason it was the best was the bride and groom were so in love and adorable that neither could stop crying during the ceremony. You could cut the love with a knife and sell slices it was so strong. This was back in the days when people still gave you brooms and dishcloths and linens and kitchen goods to get you started and no one was walking around a store choosing fine china and fancy silver for your guests to give you that they could only afford one piece of barely. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

Forty some years later I still see them from time to time when I go back home and they are still crazy about each other and so fun to be around. I think of them when I see the gift grab weddings.

Date: November 04, 2021 06:18PM

At the other end. We were invited to a reception for a very well to do couple who had already been together for decades and finally married now that it was legal.

They already had every fancy thing you could want in their huge house on the hill. Still they registered at Tiffany's and Neiman-Marcus and expected gifts. We were horrified. Just as tacky as asking for cash on your invite, or, worse?

I hate the whole gift grab.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 06:23PM

Like a Mormon woman I know, who was/is unaware I no longer am a member, voicing her concern over her daughter who had become a bit of a wild child in her teens. The mom told me she was concerned the daughter wouldn't be joining them in the Celestial Kingdom....and my first thought was "you presume a lot don't you"?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 04, 2021 06:41PM

It's a shame that you already made other plans for that date, isn't it? ;-)

I recently got an invitation for a party. I would have had to drive more than an hour there, bring a dish to share, and also bring my own beverage of choice. Oh, and it was a costume party. I could think of about a hundred more appealing things to do than to accept that "hospitality." I'm fine with making a contribution, but shouldn't the hostess provide *something* other than a roof?

Posted by: moremany-ME ( )
Date: November 05, 2021 01:46PM

Mormons are sort of 'ISOLATIONISTAS'

I'm like, I'm SO LATE I'm NOT EVEN THERE

So sick! Not slick at all. What a Schtick!

My reply? Y'all HAVE FUN! There is NO WAY
I could attend, AND Have Fun!

Bring on THE FOOD and, like, DJ Shaddow
And I'm there. Otherwise, IT'S A FLOP!

And I, for one, don't like sloppy parties (or slop)
Receptions that are a freakin' flippin' flop.

I prefer a place where people can be themselves
So I'll be somewhere else if I can't come as I am

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 04:50PM

I'm doing the cake and the bouquet and the photographs. She mail ordered the dress from Hong Kong. $90 for the dress and $85 shipping. Short dress, fits well.

The couple has been together 30 years, there will be 7 people at the wedding. It's fun to put in the effort for a couple that will be together for awhile and aren't picky.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 01:35PM

Is not sending Thank You notes just a mormon thing or has this become a thing across all the platforms for marriage?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 02:05PM

How to legitimately avoid sending thank you notes: don't solicit gifts.

Date: November 09, 2021 02:08PM

What century is this?

Your class and age are showing just by asking that.

If any Thank You notes are sent they will probably be as a courtesy from Venmo.

Remember gentility? Those were the days my friend . . .

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 03:54PM

"Gentility" politeness, good manners, whatever the term, is never out of date and expressions of such are never determined by those on the receiving end. For instance, holding a door for another is not discontinued because the recipient of the courtesy does not have the manners to say thank you.

Date: November 09, 2021 04:00PM

Exactly. You do what you do because you want to and I will continue to do that regardless of the missing thank you. I do reserver the right to think less of the thankless though. And with gentility I do see a difference between now and then.

Date: November 09, 2021 05:37PM

Not just Mormons. I remember the first time I saw a soon to be married couple wandering around a high end department store aiming their "guns" at merchandise to record the items they wanted their "invitees" to buy for them. The world lost some charm as they pulled the trigger on the Baccarat, Swarovski, and Hermés. The dish towels and brooms were safe.

At almost any store now when you check out is a wall of gift cards. Everybody giving each other money. I've seen people exchange gift cards of equal amounts. WTF? What happened to humans?

I do like at weddings in some cultures where the bride takes her shoe off and everyone puts money in it during a wild dance. Nice tradition. Sometimes they throw it all over the bride and groom while they dance. I guess gift cards are our new tradition. I think we got cheated.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 06:13PM

What, Mormons cheat well?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.