Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 08:47AM

Many of you here are dyed in the wool former or current members.
Question is how does one achieve elite member status?
I know that wealth goes a long way but isn't necessarily the only thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 10:27AM

He smoked, drank, never came home actually, so my aunt was raising the kids herself. Got it straight from her mouth. She was very active was R.S. president and mutual president. When her husband was about 50, the bishop called them both in and challenged him to go to church and give up his ways. We always had alcohol at family parties and he served it. As my sister says, this side of the family are heretics. Very few active mormon.

So my uncle took the challenge. He was wealthy. He made good land purchases and was able to sell them for a huge increase eventually and became a millionaire. So he became bishop (his first counselor was my boss and he was a much better man than my uncle) and then a stake president. When he'd give talks it was so boring. I had one of the bishops under him ask if he had dementia. He had no clue how to give a talk. It was actually quite funny as I knew he didn't have dementia.

So a lot of it is money. He didn't come from mormon royalty. I found out I was mormon royalty when I came here, but we were never treated as such. I'm a Christensen (my family name) and that was one of the first names someone said on here when talking about mormon royalty names. My aunt was a Christensen--so maybe he married into it. I'm chuckling.

A LOT has to do with money. Others are depends on what ward you live in (this ward doesn't have any rich people, so they are all blue collar workers who are bishops and no RMs).

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 10:45AM

Well, first ya gotta be White . . .

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 04:45PM

Did you say that out loud? But your right

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 10:48AM

The current boss was the doctor to a dead prophet. Seems fairly random and "inspired." A lot of roads with the same destinations. Not where I would want to be in life.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 10:53AM

Number one is you must be a taker.

The true definitions of extrovert and introvert are not understood very well by most. Extroverts often claim to be introverts and I have read many articles as to why. This mainly because they can be shy at times or even lack confidence or wish to appear to have those two traits for very extroverted reasons that serve a purpose. Shyness and lack of confidence are not necessarily introvert traits.

To be Mormon elite being an extreme extrovert is an asset as extroverts get their power from others. (Introverts get their power from within). Watch Bednar for example. He is literally feeding off his admirers in the pews. The congregation is a buffet for him.

Wealth is critical to the the equation but is number two.

Three is accomplishment--real, or Paul H. Dunn style accomplishments. Impressing the little people is critical. My brother needs to be called Dr. or President by everyone.

But above all you must crave to be the Mormon elite. It needs to be your talent in life. We all have natural talents and we usually get what we want when we go for them.

Being a good Mormon in the Jesus sense is of no value whatsoever in a climb to the top.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 11:24AM

I often refer to extreme extroverts as leeches or vampires, sucking life from others.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 11:44AM

It really helps if you are able to subtly brag to everyone how humble you are.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 11:47AM

Maybe Anointed One should chime in here, but I strongly suspect that beyond the other traits listed above, a lot depends on who you associate with. Probably more than most other jobs, who you know is more important than what you know when seeking to ascend the ladder of Mormonism.

Edit to remove Anointed One's actual name, though it is published elsewhere--I thought my point was more important than leaving it in the post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 11:52AM by blindguy.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 12:04PM

Hand in hand with money is profession. Lawyer is right up there and CEO of a successful company is a big plus. An affluent plumber not so much.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 01:48PM

J Golden Kimball, a member of the presidency of the 70s was well known as a cowboy, coffee drinker and had a colorful vocabulary.

He said there were two ways to get ahead in the church. Relation and revelation.

He said if he wasn't the son of Heber C Kimball he'd never have amounted to a hill of beans in the church.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 02:17PM

>> Question is how does one achieve elite member status?

I don't think it can be "achieved" by the individual member. Its the other members that see the person as elite....they bestow the title.

Like when the Beatles were asked what they think of their image and John replied that they don't have an image, its others that project the image on them.

Date: November 19, 2021 04:03PM

So if you hold a TR and are very wealthy you are a shoe in for "Elite" status.
It seems interesting that you all equated elite status with callings such as stake pres etc. But what happened to "It doesn't matter where you serve but how you serve"?

Date: November 19, 2021 04:10PM

Being very wealthy is proof that ghawd loves you, and has rewarded you because of what a good, caring person you are.

That’s basic mormon logic!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 04:21PM

And being wealthy and evil is proof that Satan loves and rewards you. They have it covered both ways.

Date: November 19, 2021 04:20PM

Funny that you judged us like you did.

Seems fairly random and "inspired." A lot of roads with the same destinations.

"Question is how does one achieve elite member status?"

Elite status whether a calling, money, or whatever you are getting at - Seems fairly random and a lot of roads with the same destinations. Some leader is inspired to grant you elite status but you will end up with every other Mormon - just some member number standing aged in a temple waiting to help someone dead or living get a whole lot of nothing from the hierarchy.

Date: November 19, 2021 04:44PM

"It seems interesting that you all equated elite status with callings such as stake pres etc."

Actually it seems no one did but you. I don't see anyone above you defining Elite status.

As for "it doesn't matter where you serve but how your serve", that is the very phrase those of Elite status use to keep the plebes under control.

Date: November 19, 2021 05:24PM

Actually the second post did. J.Golden was later mentioned along with Bedenar and Paul H Dunn. That sounds pretty elite to me.

Date: November 19, 2021 05:28PM

The point is Elite like those apostles weren't being equated with Stake Presidents as your post said we were doing.

Date: November 19, 2021 08:35PM

Whatever. Best wishes for y'all.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 04:56PM

Maybe you should define exactly what you mean by "elite status" then.

Date: November 19, 2021 09:54PM

Not pica!

Date: November 21, 2021 10:07AM

PHIL Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
> what happened to "It doesn't matter where you
> serve but how you serve"?

Had the member neighbors over for a fire pit last night. At one point the discussion turned to the callings neighbor wife had. She detailed how she prefers doing something she dislikes which is teaching the youth over the previous important calling. Why? Because she hated dealing with the politics of the position.

So you wonder what happened? I'll tell you. If you want to be considered elite in Mormonism it will have to be in your mind only going for "how you serve." You get a calling you hate but still do it to the best of your abilities. I guess that is eliteness to you PHIL. Mormonism makes needlessly suffering a high virtue. Your kingdom is assured in suffering Mormonism.

You are welcome.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 12:24AM

Dad and mom paid for a lot of missions for poor kids and made sure poor families had groceries...and raised a couple hippie hellraiser sons...so maybe...but with an asterisk.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 08:16PM

You have to give everything to TSCC before they take everything from you. It's a race to the bottom. The lower you are, the higher you get!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.