Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 02:27PM

I'm puzzled by this statement.

"It is a matter of personal preference whether other undergarments are worn over or under the temple garment."
https://www.ldsliving.com/what-the-church-has-actually-said-about-wearing-temple-garments/s/10219

I never wore "other undergarments" when I wore garments. And the order of wearing them if you did? Why is that a matter of personal preference? Because God doesn't care? How about if I buy oversized garments and wear them over my outer garments? Actually that would be a better reminder of the covenants I made and a better deterrent for anyone wanting to get into my underpants.

"Garments are a piece of the temple we can have with us always."
https://www.ldsliving.com/3-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-received-my-temple-garment/s/86323

And if you are the prophet you can actually have a real life piece of the temple with you for eternity. Nelson is going to bury himself in those garments under a stone stolen from The Salt Lake Temple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:02PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Garments are a piece of the temple we can have
> with us always."

Gag.

I thought it was intrusive when the JWs told me to throw away all my "worldly" skirts because the length was immodest. A JW friend sewed me some new ones, a good few inches longer, which was kind of her but it's amazing to look back in time and realize how personal they get, dictating what you should wear, say, do and believe and who you should marry and associate with.

But the Mormons go a further gigantic step by getting all involved with one's underwear. Of course, they explained to me that g's aren't underwear. I don't remember any instruction about whether to also don regular underwear but I did anyway because those long roomy Joseph Smith bloomers were a bit breezy. As for the bishop regularly asking if you've got them on, that is almost beyond belief. Intrusive much? Not to mention controlling. And embarrassing.

I like churches that focus on sweet little sermons and good vibes and leave their hands - and minds - completely out of your private business such as what's under your clothing, or what isn't to be more exact when it comes to the moes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 03:03PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 23, 2021 03:55PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> I like churches that focus on sweet little sermons
> and good vibes and leave their hands - and minds -
> completely out of your private business such as
> what's under your clothing, or what isn't to be
> more exact when it comes to the moes.

And Rusty, deep down in your heart, I guess you know that it ain't right
Never, never, never, never, never, never hear me when I cry at night Rusty, and I cry all the time
But each time I tell myself that I, well I can't stand the pain
But when your garments hold me under my arms, I sing praise Joe once again
… I said come on, come on, come on, come on and take it
Take another little piece of my garment now, Rusty
Break another little bit of my garment now, Jefferey, yeah
Have another little piece of my garment now, Oaksie
Well, you know you got it, prophets, if it makes you feel good

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 05:43PM

I will never hear that song again without thinking of you. And the g's. What have you done to me? :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:20PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
---------------------------

> Nelson is going to bury himself
> in those garments under a stone
> stolen from The Salt Lake Temple.

Now, now, no stealing was involved!!  

Rusty knelt in fervent prayer and asked ghawd if he could have the stone until the resurrection and ghawd told him it was the least he could do for Rusty, given how Rusty was already doing the most he could for himself.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:21PM

My mother tucked under the little cap sleeve in the garment top and put a couple of stitches in it. She was so self conscious about it showing through the sleeves of her blouses or dresses when she was working full time. I know she thought she was kind of breaking the temple rules for doing that.

And the instruction was quite clear in 1970 when I got married. The Garment went next to your skin. period. And speaking of periods, they were a nightmare to deal with in relation to the damn garments. just sayin'

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 07:05PM

I know because my convert father considered it important to explain to oldest son me his new underwear. No, Dad - may he rest in peace - thanks, didn't need to know.

Tyson

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 11:43PM

My garments would stick out all the time on my back when I would bend forward and under my shirts at the sleeves.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:38PM

They came out with 2 piecers just before I got married thank goodness. It is so nice to not have my bra slip up all the time and have to pull it back down. Sure is a lot cooler in the summer without them, too.

Date: November 24, 2021 12:40PM

Thanks for the replies about "next to the skin." I can't imagine what LDSLiving is going with on its undergarment wearing. Seriously who would but on regular undies with garments on top?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 11:25AM

Garments for women weren't very well planned out. Not saying men's were. I think men's garments looked better. Women's are completely gross.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 03:06PM

“The church of the big underwear.”

Someone else here said that.

Date: November 24, 2021 03:36PM

Bloomers! That's a good one.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 07:54AM

The only thing I can think of with the "personal choice to put underwear above or under the garments" is I was always told that it was my personal choice whether to put my bra over or under them.

I didn't go to the temple until 2008 and was told from the start that the important thing was to simply always wear them. As late as 2018, I was in a class helping teach YW and garments came up and it was framed in this "your choice/between you and the Spirit" how you wear garments period.

Date: November 25, 2021 06:37PM

My how times have changed.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 09:24AM

"Are you excited to see me or is that a piece of the temple in your underwear?"

Date: November 25, 2021 06:36PM

It's a temple token and if you are really bad I will show it to you for money.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 11:11PM

It’s Moroni’s trumpet and it needs to be blown.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 08:27PM

I could never imagine having to wear that gawdawful stuff. Not for a second.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 10:35PM

I never liked templeS HIT

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 28, 2021 02:09AM

As it turns out, Mormon women get to choose whether to wear a bra under or over garments. My TBM wife insist that a woman MUST wear the bra on top the garment, or... She doesn't know the "or." But a bra on top her underwear is truly hideous. Anyway, I've had a few German women ask me why so many American Mormon women put the bra on top the garments, when they don't need to worry about the over/under conundrum.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 28, 2021 03:03AM

cludgie Wrote:
> As it turns out, Mormon women get to choose
> whether to wear a bra under or over garments. My
> TBM wife insist that a woman MUST wear the bra on
> top the garment, or... She doesn't know the "or."
> But a bra on top her underwear is truly hideous.
> Anyway, I've had a few German women ask me why so
> many American Mormon women put the bra on top the
> garments, when they don't need to worry about the
> over/under conundrum.

Wear two bra's ..
'mask up'

Date: November 29, 2021 11:14AM

The Mormon garment makes women in their underwear like men in their most intimate apparel yet Mormon priesthood makes them subservient. It is like God didn't really care about women's apparel yet Mormonism takes gender and sexual orientation to the extreme in differences. God is a male bully that demands cake and eats it too!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.