Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dee ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:02PM

They are not Mormon or even religious. He is early twenties and single and will be living with a couple of guys to share expenses. I’m tempted to say something to his mom about the high Mormon population (read girls) but I’m not sure if I should or what I’d say. I am sure they haven’t a clue about the religion as they live in coastal Florida. Should I just keep out of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:27PM

Maybe you can congratulate them on his job but joke with them about him getting converted by the Mormons. Tell them BYU is known for that from what you hear. Keep it light and nonjudgmental. Maybe they will realize it is a risk if he wants to fit in there.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:45PM

Prepare for hormonal conversion.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:46PM

Tell him about using multiple layers of masking tape under his pants to make it look like he is wearing temple garments. Provo girls are a lot friendlier that way.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:21AM

He should learn to say "flip" and its variations.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:31AM

Oh my heck! I can’t believe you flippin’ said that!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:52AM

Watch it, you ignernt fetching witch!

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 07:29AM

Trey Parker and Matt Stone had both of their heads messed with hard from their interactions with TheBookOfMormon girls.
Apparently forever smashed their cortex with memorable impressions, South Park then provided resource to express some of their feelings in Broadway fashion.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 07:39AM

Yes, I would definitely give him a heads-up. He may just be thinking about Utah's wonderful outdoor activities, but the religious aspect of Provo will likely be an eye-opener for him. Maybe tell him that SLC is a lot more diverse, and he may need to look there for dating options. And that he may get the stink-eye for ordering coffee or tea, and that stores that sell alcohol will be few and far-between. Oh, and tell him about the missionaries as well.

Date: November 24, 2021 09:40AM

Thanks I’ll try. That’s helpful

Date: November 24, 2021 12:06PM

I would also tell him that the Mormons are a high-control denomination similar to the JWs, and that they would want to control every aspect of his life down to his underwear. That should give him the idea! He may think that they are just another Christian denomination.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 10:13AM

Keep it simple. "Ruuuuuun!"

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 10:31AM

I'd imagine they'll give him the full court press to convert also - especially if he's still young enough that he could serve a mission.

Tyson

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 10:50AM

It goes beyond theology. It will be automatically assumed that he is a Second Amendment Republican misogynist and closet racist. Certainly there are plenty of Provo residents who are none of those things, but most people he encounters- cashiers, barbers, and even co-workers- will feel free to just start spouting off the most bizarre, Cleon-Skousen inspired nonsense that he has ever heard in his life under the assumption that he too feels the same. So at least warn him.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 10:53AM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 11:26AM

Too true.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 11:08AM

We had friends whose son moved to SLC and married a Mormon woman. They soon found out they were on the outside. These stories are all too common.

Date: November 24, 2021 06:10PM

That is my fear that he would meet someone who would try to separate him from his family!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 05:44PM

I would definitely say something to him and his parents. Much more difficult afterwards if he starts dating a Mormon girl. I thought the Mormons I met were such lovely people. That can certainly influence you. It's better to know there are two sides. I failed to recognize their imperative to baptize. Not the same situation as with your nephew but similar elements. Especially important to be forewarned because cute Mormon girl, good, and easy, proselytizing tool.

Date: November 30, 2021 12:25PM

I did say something to her. Just told her he was a prime recruit and to just beware. She said she would. I didn’t go into any detail at this time. His room mates are old high school Florida friends. They do drink so hopefully he will be looking for like company

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:33PM

I was a very devout little mormon girl and my sister had been to BYU and thought I should go live down there. I was between jobs and had a missionary leaving within days. It was unbearable. The attitudes. It just had a bad vibe even for me.

He definitely needs some warning.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 02:04PM

Tell him the ins and outs of Levi Lovin, soaking, jump humping and behymen bustin!

https://www.insider.com/mormon-teens-tiktok-soaking-jump-humping-avoid-thrusting-during-sex-2021-9

I’m sure coming from coastal Florida that’ll be a real CULTure shocker for him!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 02:30PM

Encourage him to ask on a first date if she is Mormon. If she is Mormon don't go out on a second date with her.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 03:06PM

Or simply order a cup of coffee to gauge her reaction. If she recoils, acts shocked or disgusted, and/or starts a WOW lecture, he'll know she's not The One.

Date: November 30, 2021 06:05PM

Yup -- first date at the coffee shop.

Of course, a lot of young people meet on the dating sites and apps nowadays. I'm sure most of the Mormon girls are straight-forward about what they're looking for. But it would pay for him to keep a wary eye out.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 02:33PM

Congratulate him on his job and ask if he's going to take up skiing. The rest of it is probably none of your business. It's entirely possible for a non Mormon to get along just fine with most Mormons, even in Provo. And if it turns out he doesn't like it, he's young, single and mobile...

Date: November 24, 2021 06:18PM

I’m close with his mother. I did what I could to educate my children about what Mormonism was really like behind the smiles. None of them were caught in that life. They have a good relationship with their father but are never going to be converted.
What her boy does with his eyes wide open is up to him but if he is setting off on a trail I’ve been on I feel it’s ok and maybe the responsible thing to tell her where the danger spots are.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 01:11AM

I think it’s reasonable and fair to warn them. After all, the Morg has a herculean missionary effort, not to mention massive cultural and societal influence in that region, and he’s going to be subject to those forces. Ex- and anti-Mormons have every right to counter those influences based on our own beliefs and concerns. Especially in the lives of people we care about.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 03:42PM

He's gonna get soaked.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 06:18PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's gonna get soaked.

He should get soaked as much as possible until they decide he isn't a worthy candidate.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 03:55PM

>> but I’m not sure if I should or what I’d say....Should I just keep out of it? <<

I think you have your answer already.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:08PM

Mormonism has no magical powers. Unless they are already religious I doubt anybody would give Mormonism a second thought. These days it is nearly identical to almost any evangelical or mega church.

Even if he gets dunked to make somebody's grandparents happy it means nothing except maybe some unwanted phone calls.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 01:02AM

The very first sentence says they aren’t religious, but if they were then they would know that TSCC is a cult. And they are not nearly identical to other churches (they only pretend to be). Most other churches, for example, do not require 10% of your income, or so much of your time.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:51PM

Lot's of no Mo's moving to Utah County right now. The church is there but so are other things.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 02:04AM

If he gets curious or (gawd forbid) interested, make sure he knows early on about tithing & the rest of regimentation / micro-management that slowly unfolds to newbies 'converts';

if those don't make any difference, rachet it up to the bizarre temple experience...

Date: November 30, 2021 03:32AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If he gets curious or (gawd forbid) interested,
> make sure he knows early on about tithing & the
> rest of regimentation / micro-management that
> slowly unfolds to newbies 'converts';
>
> if those don't make any difference, rachet it up
> to the bizarre temple experience...

I think he might be interested and into the best missionary tool possible. The amount of many crazy or tangled angles used by any young LDS girl's techniques, can be daunting as well as charming.

She'll put him under a spell! Yup, just about like a witch, heh ..

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 09:48AM

Let him know that (if he sports a mustache/beard) he will be required to shave before any exam; even though BY had a mustache and long beard.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 10:30AM

Thanks to the tech boom happening, there are pockets of non-LDS folk. My son and his wife work for tech companies in Lehi. They report that over half of thier co-workers are not LDS. IN fact, my DIL stated that most of the people she works with are anti-LDS and vocal about it. Just tell him "seek and ye shall find" normal human beings.

HH =)

Date: November 30, 2021 12:29PM

Thanks and good to know

Date: November 30, 2021 04:35PM

https://youtu.be/lvMM72RFfv8

I think he's headed towards disaster with maybe a ⁵⁰/50 chance of coming out unscathed.

"small chuckle"

Posted by: Jezebel ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 09:21PM

Tell him that "Latter-day Saint" girls give head better than a Vegas street walker (cuz they have far more experience)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.