Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 07:39AM

I’ve shared before on here about how a TBM colleague has stopped talking about his kids when Office workers are talking about their children and life milestones.

Most stuff is like about Honor Roll, getting admitted to college, good grades, etc.

Very boring stuff no doubt.

Well, TBM got the hint that his daughters are just popping out kids and that would probably make him look weird to NeverMos especially when one Nevermo colleague has a daughter fretting about her SAT scores and what college to attend.

Anways, I did some snooping on Facebook and this TBM colleague’s daughter has added two more children in the last 2 years and even looks pregnant in the latest Thanksgiving family photos.

And not a peep from her father.

It’s funny to me cause well damn… daughter is early 30s with 5 or six kids and grandfather is too ashamed to talk about it.

Funny or sad?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 25, 2021 10:07AM

Sad when a few more years down the road co-workers will still be talking about SAT's, Stanford, Harvard, UC Berkeley, a new international job in Beijing or Antwerp, and the TBM will have...maybe...BYU-I or more grandkids and mission talk...

...but maybe by then you'll be retired and on a Holland America cruise to Alaska. :-)

Date: November 25, 2021 10:25AM

Hah. ;)

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 04:14AM

You're right to point out the growing of larger than normal families, is typically a LDS thing and won't easily be viewed here as strange.
You are not snooping in my opinion because you may see it as odd.

I maybe see it as normal to enjoy big family growth, strange huh?

Anywho, with prayer and some luck and good job salaries everything can work it's way out.

Pandemic babies of 20/21 are likely such a new un-studied trend.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 10:33AM

"Pandemic babies of 20/21 are likely such a new un-studied trend."

My 5th grandchild was born to a vaccinated mother. I wonder if this situation will be studied in the future? (if there is any useful data)

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 09:04AM

I'd say that youngsters always worry about the least important things in life, I pity them, gold stars and choice of colleges, scholarships, I've never had a job that cared about any of these things, infact college is not valued at all in most places of employment, so why bothersome? from personal experience the only important class anyone should be concerned about is physical education, that's the subject that is crucial for construction, agriculture, mechanics, production, and warehouse work, where all the jobs are,

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 09:17AM

Yup. That book learning is worthless for your low paying manual labor job so we shouldn't be educating our children.
Did I miss anything ?

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 09:25AM

Maca not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd say that youngsters always worry about the
> least important things in life, I pity them, gold
> stars and choice of colleges, scholarships, I've
> never had a job that cared about any of these
> things, infact college is not valued at all in
> most places of employment, so why bothersome? from
> personal experience the only important class
> anyone should be concerned about is physical
> education, that's the subject that is crucial for
> construction, agriculture, mechanics, production,
> and warehouse work, where all the jobs are,

Not a thing wrong with all of those jobs, especially if some do end up coming back from outsourcing in some other country. China is just waiting to dominate and then enforce curtailment of supply lines while driving up purchase costs.
You can always shoot to be an up and coming 'My Pillow Guy',or not, work in 'My Pillow' manufacturing or delivery chain. Not sure if being a big human pillow that doesn't do much is any good though.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 10:41AM

I'm retired from High Tech and I'm imagining an interview with a engineering candidate.

Me:Do you have an Eng degree, programming experience or HW design training?
Him: No, but I'm physically fit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2021 10:41AM by moehoward.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 12:23PM

The definition of egocentrism: when you think everyone should be just like you.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 07:35PM

Maca not logged in Wrote:
> I've never had a job that cared about any of these
> things,

I wonder why.

> infact college is not valued at all in
> most places of employment, so why bothersome?

1. Just because you've never worked a job that required a college degree doesn't mean that college isn't worthless.

2. Call me biased, but I think most folks prefer to get their opinions on education from people who can spell and use some proper grammar.

> from personal experience the only important class
> anyone should be concerned about is physical
> education, that's the subject that is crucial for
> construction, agriculture, mechanics, production,
> and warehouse work, where all the jobs are,

Okay, you want kids to get less education in engineering (construction, mechanical engineering), biology (agriculture), logistics (production and warehouse work) in favor of gym class? It sounds like every has-been jock I ever knew wrote your post, maca.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 27, 2021 02:08AM

I don't believe he really thinks 95% of the crap he says. It is his own little way to "troll libs". I am sure it makes him feel all warm and toasty inside. Chances are good he has dislocated his shoulder patting himself on the back.

The truth is it is all symbiotic. No construction jobs unless you have architects. Well, unless you want to cobble things together like the three little pigs. We are way beyond putting a seed in the ground and praying for rain. There are reasons we use tractors now not horses and plows. Dude, you have to have engineers to design things for mechanics to fix. There is no production and no need for warehouse work unless you have something to produce and a way to sell it.

Education not only makes these jobs possible but it also is a way to broaden and enhance your life and the lives of those around you.

But again, I think all this (and so much more) is just juvenile trolling. Performing. Sad.

Date: November 27, 2021 04:11AM

Thanks for the hypothesis, Susan. I'm hoping you're right, but I've learned not to underestimate the sincerity of anti-intellectuals. I may be a janitor, but even I know the benefits of education and expanded horizons. And that trolling for warm-fuzzy feelings is immature, even by my standards.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 11:38PM

I fear Susan is wrong on this one. macaRomney has been consistent over many years, both in this incarnation and in his previous existence as Poopstone. And he thinks it is wrong of those of us who are, or who love, people of color to take offense when he condemns their entire race. I guess we are supposed to accept gladly his willingness to treat each of us as "one of the good ones" as long as we don't challenge his views.

His record is clear even when, on occasion, he dons anonymity to attack liberals only then to repeat almost the same words under his own moniker. D'oh!

As Emerson observed, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Date: November 30, 2021 03:49PM

I'm hoping Susan's right, but I also fear that guy's vileness is genuine.

I'll still chew him out for his bigotry, anti-intellectualism, and crimes against the English language, though.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 10:57AM

Hurray for the guy who doesn't talk about his family.

As someone who is intentionally childless, it's extremely difficult to pretend to be enthusiastic when others talk about their kids, grandkids, great-grandkids... often to the exclusion of other topics. I'm sitting there thinking, "It's great you love your family, but no one else loves them so much that we want to constantly hear about them."

On top of that, the idea family members might be talking about me — even in positive terms — makes me uncomfortable. Has any parent asked their progeny, "Do you mind if I talk about you to my friends or coworkers or the person trapped next to me on the bus?"

Date: November 26, 2021 12:50PM

I don’t have any kids either and I feel good about it. Less responsibility.

But… I’m this TBM’s children’s ages and so are my siblings. And… well… we’re not doing anything like his kids.

Edit: I’ve told him that I don’t want to have kids: they’re expensive, take a lot of time and I don’t think I have the optimal arrangement to care for and nurture a kid. He’s noticed this. And then realized his daughter and step-son have even less than I do and he can’t help but look foolish.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2021 12:56PM by newcomer.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 03:42PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Reporting on kids in HS starting out in the world is one thing, but by the time the kid is 30, they have their own life, and it is of little interest or significance to co-workers.

OP used the word "ashamed" without any actual proof that shame was the motivating emotion. Shame is a pretty strong word, when mild embarrassment might be more accurate, and it might not even be that.

The post was generally denigrating - "just popping out kids" is not exactly a phrase signifying respect. I'd say give the guy a break. You might ask him about his kids, probably best done in a private conversation. He might appreciate the interest. Or not, which is also useful to know.

Date: November 26, 2021 07:43PM

Yes, popping out kids when you’re doing it in poverty. And I meant it to be denigrating.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:47PM

You do realize that the word "denigrate" implies that you've acted unfairly to some degree, right?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 12:08PM

I'd guess he's worried. He's doing the math, wondering how all those kids will have any of the benefits he had. It's getting harder and harder to afford kids. The middle class is shrinking and not getting the support it needs to maintain itself from government structure. He realizes his daughter is on the road to struggling. All they can do is brag that all their joy comes from kids while realizing no one wants to hear about how great they are at breeding.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 01:17PM

“As long as they don’t have a tissue sample of yours to work with, just tell them to pound sand!”, is another style of parenting that may be making a comeback . . .

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 01:51PM

Some people want a Degree. Others want an Education.

Some people want a Paycheck. Some people want a Life.

Choices, choices.

The To-Do List

Not enough the burlap bag
It only carries
what you need
No room for what you want
the world to see
The Birkin offers so much more
Their haughty eyes to feed.

Better get an MBA

Your old gray Ford
will get you there
Down to town or
to the square.
But in the trunk is only shame
Nothing to exalt your name
Black Bentley makes them stare.

Better get a Doctorate Degree

I am just a bag of bones
some flesh, some blood and
No one looks
A smoothed out face
A too proud chest
Would make them see
That I'm the best?

Better get a plastic surgeon

And now the river's running dry
The knees are weak
The eyes? Yes, glassy
I'll leave a will
I'll write a book
To be remembered when I die
and seen as someone classy

Better get a . . .

Oh hell, nobody is remembered for long.

So touch my hand
Age spots and all
And we will glide
Over that wall
What's not for show when
all is dust is one last kiss
to end the ride.

--Jasper Duv, 2021

Posted by: Boring ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 07:08PM

Neither (funny or sad). There's no Thanksgiving dective work here. It's more like "pick on somebody because..." Gross and obscene-

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 08:24PM

Children don't come from you, they come through you. What else should TBMs talk about if children are the most important thing? As messed up as their religion is, they have a point about reproduction.

There's nothing wrong with children being a huge sacrifice, but a nation that allows that is shooting itself in the foot.

Posted by: Children ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 01:34AM

bradley Wrote:
> Children don't come from you, they come through you. >

Reading too much Kahlil Gibran? Not possible.
Sounds like 'The Prophet'. Great stuff!

> What else should TBMs talk about if children are the most important thing? >

Wait! Only in Mormonism are children "the most important thing"? And what else should LDS parents talk about? Lots of things! Lots wife, for example.

> As messed up as their religion is, they have a point about reproduction. >

Reproduction is a tithing thing... in perpetuity.
It's more like over production. You see, like an animal might have more young in case of, environment, maybe LDS have "extra" children in case some are smart and see right thru it. It's mormonism'$ ONLY way to survive: overproduction.

> There's nothing wrong with children being a huge sacrifice, but a nation that allows that is shooting itself in the foot.>

What does that mean?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 11:36AM

newcomer Wrote:
> Funny or sad?

Sacred.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:24PM

>> Funny or sad? <<

Personal. None of your business.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 10:24PM

You did “detective work” on this man ? Wow. That’s what’s sad here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.