Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:53PM

Being a Beatles fan, we signed up for Disney+ so we could watch the new "Get Back" documentary....3 episodes, each about 2.5 hours long.

Watched about half yesterday and I have to say, it's the best documentary to date in my opinion. Lots of new unseen footage and you are literally watching the Beatles be the Beatles and collectively writing writing their songs. One brings in a line or two, mumbles some words, and together they turn it into the full arraignment(s) that we know and love today.

If you like The Beatles, I highly recommend this one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 07:06PM

I did the same thing. Have watched Part 1 so far.

I was a rabid fan when I was in high school in the mid 60's.

I happened to be in San Francisco when I was 15 and spending the summer with my sister who is 10 years older than me. The Beatles were playing at the Cow Palace and I was begging her to let me go to the concert. No Way..she thought they were evil personified and those mop top haircuts, OH MY! Well, could she at least take me over there so that I could at least maybe get a glimpse of them in person? No Way.

Now she is 82 and I still tease her about that. I did get to see Paul McCartney when he was at Rio Tinto stadium a few years ago and I got good seats close to the stage.

To see how they put together their music, the simmering discontent with George and how Paul was really in charge of things while John was distracted with Yoko and all the rest of it was quite interesting.

I will be watching the rest of it in the coming days.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 01:31AM

I know one of Paul's guitar players. He says Paul is the best person in the business he ever worked for.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 07:13PM

Few things threw me instantly and head long into a previously unknown dimension as watching the Beatles debut on Ed Sullivan in 1964. I was 14. I suddenly had senses I never even knew I had, unleashed, and, careening abound my head and stomach like sparring partners. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" opened me up like a can opener.

I actually don't like seeing the nuts and bolts of things so I won't watch the documentaries. I like to believe it just happened--couldn't be stopped like some musical immaculate conception.

Interestingly my band teacher in Junior High told us they didn't have staying power as he considered himself an expert. None of us believed him. We already knew. Parents nor school allowing the Beatle hair cuts and finding the music reductive.

I think what I liked best was the early music because it seemed unrehearsed, innocent, not overly polished and like they didn't even know where it came from.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 09:23PM

Really nice to enjoy the times when things may have seemed much more simple and less complicated.

Steven Spielberg has West Side Story release in a couple of weeks, too!

Neat Rita Moreno participation in the production and a wonderful but deep back-story that requires just a little digging.

Good times ..

Beatles together only a scant eight years.
"Very unpopular "We're bigger than Jesus" comment sunk their ship.

MormØŽ-ism maybe still learning similar quaint lesson I guess.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 10:53PM

It was not simpler/less complicated. People were just afraid to talk about things. Rita Moreno? West Side Story? Obviously you didn't watch 60 minutes last night. She was raped as a teen by her agent and since she was supporting her family she was too afraid to fire him. There is a scene where she is passed around a group of boys that triggered her big time. She was also forced to wear heavy makeup, speak with odd accents and take jobs she hated. Again, to support her family.

Go hit youtube for Rita Moreno 60 Minutes for that. Google her and rape.

Date: November 29, 2021 11:14PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was not simpler/less complicated. People were
> just afraid to talk about things. Rita Moreno?
> West Side Story? Obviously you didn't watch 60
> minutes last night. She was raped as a teen by
> her agent and since she was supporting her family
> she was too afraid to fire him. There is a scene
> where she is passed around a group of boys that
> triggered her big time. She was also forced to
> wear heavy makeup, speak with odd accents and take
> jobs she hated. Again, to support her family.
>
> Go hit youtube for Rita Moreno 60 Minutes for
> that. Google her and rape.

Steven Spielberg was fabulous in that piece.

See how binding this new film is during possibly divisive times.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 11:24PM

Everyone would be happy if they pretended to be a white male with no empathy for anyone else let alone understanding of what life was like for him or her?

Sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 01:42AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: November 30, 2021 03:12AM

Incredibly well done documentary with reflections to a familiar past might seek to be somewhat bonding, what do you think?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 03:33PM

Don't think that quote had anything to do with their "demise" at all. The quote was delivered in 1966, more than two years after they broke on the scene in Britain and long before many of their major hits. In Britain, where I think it was generally taken in the context it was intended, the quote hardly caused a ripple. I cannot speak for the US as I was not here at the time but I suspect it served to confirm in those outraged the opinion they already had that the Beatles somehow embodied a devilish assault on apple pie and all things pure.

To me, their breakup and the ephemeral nature of popular music were far bigger factors. But then, too, have they really suffered a demise? What other group from that era is still the subject of discussion such as this, whose records are played still, and whose compositions have become standards?

Date: November 30, 2021 05:05PM

The song Eight Days A Week, as a major hit came from a simple driver the group might have run into while so busy, he said he had been working eight days a week.

Nothing could save them though, the California concert was their last!

With the 29th of August over 7000 Candlestick Park seats unsold.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 06:15PM

That last concert still sold 25,000 tickets and was in 1966. They were hot for a long time after that and their decision not to tour was decided more by rifts among them that lack of public interest. Also their music evolved. Hey Jude, long after 1966, was very different from earlier hits like I Want to Hold Your Hand.

Date: November 30, 2021 10:13PM

Kentish Wrote:
> That last concert still sold 25,000 tickets and
> was in 1966. They were hot for a long time after
> that and their decision not to tour was decided
> more by rifts among them that lack of public
> interest. Also their music evolved. Hey Jude, long
> after 1966, was very different from earlier hits
> like I Want to Hold Your Hand.

After Cleavland's near Anti-Beatles riot Aug 14th and Los Angeles concert horrors the day before Ringo didn't even Mic-up his position on stage August 29, 1966 year.
John Lennon's apology promotion fell flat, too.

There is little doubt left that the statement he made in February did everything in.

Date: November 30, 2021 11:17PM

Far be it from me to suggest that Josephs Myth's views are sometimes independent of factual evidence, but in this case the numbers indicate that rumors of the Beatles's demise in 1966 were premature.

In 1968 the single Hey Jude sold three million copies in the US in its first two months.

The highly priced The Beatles sold 1.1 million copies in its first two weeks, which was a record for any double album in the US before that date.

Issued just three months before the end of 1969, Abby Road sold enough albums in that year alone to number among the most successful albums in the United States for the entire decade of the 1960s.

Let It Be shipped 3.2 million copies in 13 days when it was released, garnering $26 million in that very short time.

Those data points imply that the band was doing just fine, thank you very much, in the late 1960s and that Kentish's perspective is correct.

http://www.beatlesradio.com/beatles-record-sales

Date: November 30, 2021 11:43PM

So you are saying their popularity last essentially two years. That's nonsense.

Date: December 01, 2021 12:11AM

You are generous.

Date: December 01, 2021 01:57AM

Kentish Wrote:
> So you are saying their popularity last
> essentially two years. That's nonsense.

There are plenty of artist's that excell at sales after they die, for maybe nostalgia or some other reason.

It wouldn't be likely expected to be included as a possible all inclusive factor in this fanfare documentary though.

Date: December 01, 2021 02:19AM

> There are plenty of artist's that excell at sales
> after they die, for maybe nostalgia or some other
> reason.

Putting aside the question how one excels at sales or anything else after having passed away, are you now asserting that the Beatles died in 1966?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 02:21AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: December 01, 2021 03:09AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > There are plenty of artist's that excell at
> sales
> > after they die, for maybe nostalgia or some
> other
> > reason.
>
> Putting aside the question how one excels at sales
> or anything else after having passed away, are you
> now asserting that the Beatles died in 1966?

Posthumous record sales for certain artists can be amazing, the spike can last for years and maybe settle down to around a 50% increase when deceased. Weird, in too many ways.

So in maybe some way, yes most definitely! There would not be another single paid concert ticket sold after August 29th 1966 and all because of John Lennon's one statement.
It was like it squished their ability to have a large public attendance ever again.

Not likely a generous part in the feel good Disney piece.
I guess, call it a slow motion death of no more big shows ever again!

Date: December 01, 2021 03:18AM

So you are acknowledging that the Beatles lived past 1966. I'm sure Paul and Ringo will be gratified to learn that.

As for the notion that their prospects diminished after that year, that's just more of your ill-conceived nonsense. Their album sales and income rose enormously in the rest of their career.

But hey, don't let facts get in your way.

Date: December 01, 2021 10:12AM

I was out and about in Montreal in 1969 when Lennon staged his "bed in". It was quite amazing to see the amount of world wide press around the Queen Elizabeth hotel all trying to get something on the has been.

Date: December 01, 2021 10:42AM

Kentish Wrote:
> I was out and about in Montreal in 1969 when
> Lennon staged his "bed in". It was quite amazing
> to see the amount of world wide press around the
> Queen Elizabeth hotel all trying to get something
> on the has been.

We'll just have to wait and see if the Disney documentary touches on the weeks-long episode, and yes washed up as Maybe a Beatle but not really done as the artist of a musician.

Date: December 01, 2021 02:32PM

>> ....all because of John Lennon's one statement.
It was like it squished their ability to have a large public attendance ever again. <<

They didn't quit touring because they couldn't attract an audience anymore.

They quit touring because they were sick of it, couldn't even hear themselves over the screams and hysteria, people trying to mob them, chase them, grab them, etc.

They wanted to focus on music, not touring.....and they did.

Date: December 01, 2021 03:58AM

Jimi Hendrix sold way more albums dead than he did alive. Good songs and music live longer than the people who wrote them.

Date: December 01, 2021 04:09AM

That's irrelevant, Rubicon. The Beatles did not die in 1966 either literally or professionally.

Date: November 29, 2021 09:26PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 11:10PM

I was not as nuts about their music back in the 60's in high school..actually only owned 2 of their albums, but gave gained a huge amount of respect for how their music changed everything. But I will watch the documentary. The back story is as interesting as the music...my opinion.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 11:21PM

Ditto. Back in the 60s, I sort of liked most of the Beatle stuff but I wasn't nuts about them. I much preferred the Rolling Stones then and now.

Like you, I came to appreciate what they accomplished later.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 05:29PM

I was heavily into the surfer/hot rod culture and then was introduced to soul/r&b by dorm mates at Ricks from Philly and Pittsburgh

Date: December 01, 2021 04:03AM

The British Invasion happened before I was born but I can remember Beatles songs playing on the radio and then Paul McCartney’s band Wings got a lot of air time in the 70’s. If anything, Beatles music reminds me of my childhood.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 05:29PM

You make me feel so young. :)

Well, at least, collectively that is.

I like the Beatles and grew to appreciate them more after I was an adult. My parents were set into the 1950s music; whereas, I was firmly, musically, a child of the 1980s.

So, 1960s and 1970s music weren't a thing for me, unless the music fell in the soft listening genre, along the lines of Anne Murray, Linda Ronstadt, or that ilk, because my parents simply didn't listen to anything else current at that time.

When/if Get Back is released onto a platform I have, it would definitely be interesting to me.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 05:31PM by Tyson Dunn.

Date: November 30, 2021 06:03PM

I feel the same. I'm not the world's greatest Beetles fan, but they were important in the evolution/devolution of popular music and culture.

Date: November 30, 2021 06:11PM

>> I'm not the world's greatest Beetles fan <<

The horror!!! I'm going to have to rethink you LW! But don't rethink me, I'm just a big lie!

Date: November 30, 2021 07:05PM

You know what they say about the Beetles: you had to be there.

And that's the truth!

Date: November 30, 2021 07:33PM

True, I was too young to go see them. But I have seen Paul in concert twice (pretty much the best shows I've seen and I've seen a lot) and I saw Ringo with one of his all star bands.

The couple I play music with saw them in Portland Oregon, but they are 10 and 13 years older than me.

Date: December 01, 2021 03:48AM

I'm sure I would have enjoyed seeing the Beatles perform although unlike Dagny I never looked good in bobby socks.

That, however, is a digression. I do think there was a lot of interesting innovation going on in the 1960s--Blues, R&R, Soul, Reggae, what would eventually become Prog Rock and even Metal--but I will confess to an abiding affection for the Jazz that all of that displaced. My sense is that popular music has been on a long spiral towards greater simplicity. There were a lot of gems along the way but it does seem that the last couple of decades have been rather barren. . .

Date: December 01, 2021 10:13AM

" . . . popular music has been on a long spiral towards greater simplicity." That has been my take on it for a long time now too. Most of it seems "assembly line" made.

The worst is though how whiney it has become. The Beatles were never that. Petula was never that. And the Stones certainly weren't. "C'mon Baby, Light My Fire!"

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 10:40AM

So much of it is self-indulgent. Plus, the emo whine needs to go. If you dig, there are still some out there making actual music. IMHO Rag n' Bone Man and Elle King are exceptions. Diana Krall can sing the phonebook and I would be enthralled.

But you do have to dig.

Date: December 01, 2021 10:52AM

Well bless your heart. I didn't know about Rag n Bone Man and just listened. Wow.

Date: December 01, 2021 02:35PM

I call today's music "land fill music". They get the new song that they absolutely must have, then in a short time, that one is tossed out and forgotten so it can be replaced by the next one.

Date: December 01, 2021 11:23AM

At the risk of being picky they were the Beatles and not the Beetles but then a rose is...

Date: December 01, 2021 02:03PM

Yes, that was a typo which I didn’t make in my other posts.

Date: December 01, 2021 06:45PM

IJ noted that.

Date: December 01, 2021 04:28AM

So here is your big question maybe you might want to revisit after being subjected to the typical "Roy G Biv" (tongue-in-cheek) possible lie all of these years, much later down Abby Road.

How much did one single comment John Lennon make, perfectly cause no more thrilling concerts?

And then maybe ask one more little thing.

Did that one comment cement all of the the pieces, ending the possible future chance of the Beatles survival as a group?

The gaslighting says no more concerts because they split, but now you know better.

Date: December 01, 2021 04:43AM

Joseph's Myth Wrote:
> So here is your big question maybe you might want
> to revisit . . .
>
> How much did one single comment John Lennon make,
> perfectly cause no more thrilling concerts?

Nope, that's not my "big question."

Posted by: Josepb's Myth ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 08:12AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Joseph's Myth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So here is your big question maybe you might
> want
> > to revisit . . .
> >
> > How much did one single comment John Lennon
> make,
> > perfectly cause no more thrilling concerts?
>
> Nope, that's not my "big question."

Purely speculative, but do you think the special feel-good Beatles documentary by Disney, could have just as easily come through one of those LDS owned Bonneville media preparation and entertainment centers?

You know, drop one fact here, another there and all to maybe help reach the conclusion audiences want to maybe hear?

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 09:10AM

This is a ridiculous argument, especially on an ex-Mormon site.

The history of the Beatles has been extensively documented, including their existence and success after 1966.

However, I would like to see 'Abbey Rd' correctly spelled if the discussion is to meander onward...

Date: December 01, 2021 09:23AM

oldpobot Wrote:
> This is a ridiculous argument, especially on an
> ex-Mormon site.
>
> The history of the Beatles has been extensively
> documented, including their existence and success
> after 1966.
>
> However, I would like to see 'Abbey Rd' correctly
> spelled if the discussion is to meander onward...

Thank's bunches, so yeah some still think the Beatles breakup is the sole cause for the sudden end of all concerts.

I really like and enjoy the Disney production now just starting to come out.
They overall are a fun fun band that captures maybe the bigger than life, generation after generation, after generation.

Who knows, Disney might be practicing to fulfill a rendering on a brightly polished LDS documentary one day.

Talk about need for talent!

Date: December 01, 2021 02:45PM

>> ...so yeah some still think the Beatles breakup is the sole cause for the sudden end of all concerts. <<

Who exactly is/ are "some"? Oh, maybe those who don't know the history about the band. That must be it!

Date: December 01, 2021 02:42PM

>> Purely speculative, but do you think the special feel-good Beatles documentary by Disney....<<

It wasn't produced by Disney.

It was produced by WingNut Films Productions Ltd., “The Beatles: Get Back” is directed by Peter Jackson, produced by Clare Olssen (“They Shall Not Grow Old”) and Jonathan Clyde (“Eight Days a Week”), with Ken Kamins (“The Hobbit” trilogy) and Apple Corps' Jeff Jones (“Eight Days a Week”) serving as executive producers.

It was RELEASED on Disney+ and doesn't drop a fact here or there. Its shows them working together, how they developed the songs and recorded them, and the struggles that were involved when the band was close to breaking up....which wasn't in 1966.

Date: December 01, 2021 03:24PM

We have a huge discrepancy on maybe why after three rapid fire last Beatle's concerts (their final three) they would never tour again.

I kind of get the feeling for some few others, the John Lennon statement in February was of little or no consequence and since his public apology must have not only fallen flat, he did it for nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------
> >> ...."all because of John Lennon's one
> statement.
> It was like it squished their ability to have a
> large public attendance ever again." <<

> They didn't quit touring because they couldn't
> attract an audience anymore.
>
> They quit touring because they were sick of it,
> couldn't even hear themselves over the screams
> and hysteria, people trying to mob them, chase
> them, grab them, etc.
>
> They wanted to focus on music, not touring.....and
> they did.

If you cannot tour, isn't studio work only a last option?

Of course, there still is the fact of the gap between ending tours and their career end has a nice big space.

If any folks think that they simply broke up as a band and ceased touring, the huge gap in each individual date speaks that something big must have occurred.

I do not expect the "bigger than Jesus" thing to come up because this documentary is assembled by Disney.

Date: December 01, 2021 03:37PM

It was not assembled by Disney.

Date: December 01, 2021 03:43PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> It was not assembled by Disney.

Of course, no say at all ..

It will not be in there, though all over the internet.

Is that sounding very Mormon-like all of a sudden?

We'll just agree to disagree, touring stopped to take a long breather, they were tired of it. Gotcha!

Date: December 01, 2021 03:51PM

You're an idiot. The producer raised the money, the director created the movie, the actors acted. After it was created, Disney agreed to distribute it.

What's really remarkable is that Disney Corporation died in 1966 and was taken over by extraterrestrials armed with Jewish space lasers. And no one noticed. THAT's the scandal that you and the rest of Q-Anon should be investigating.

We await your findings with bated breath.

Date: December 01, 2021 04:01PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> You're an idiot. The producer raised the money,
> the director created the movie, the actors acted.
> After it was created, Disney agreed to distribute
> it.
>
> What's really remarkable is that Disney
> Corporation died in 1966 and was taken over by
> extraterrestrials armed with Jewish space lasers.
> And no one noticed. THAT's the scandal that you
> and the rest of Q-Anon should be investigating.
>
> We await your findings with bated breath.

Disney Channel controls what is seen and distributed, for instance there is the demanded language warning.

It's just a feel good documentary. Nothing more. Why not try and calm down?

Date: December 01, 2021 04:45PM

>> Why not try and calm down? <<

Why not learn the history of the band and wise up?

Date: December 01, 2021 04:51PM

The question is, why don't you calm down? You keep spinning yarns, people keep objecting, and you keep spinning.

It's strange.

Date: December 01, 2021 05:01PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> The question is, why don't you calm down? You
> keep spinning yarns, people keep objecting, and
> you keep spinning.
>
> It's strange.

Thread is used up, let it go for Pete's sake,
Not at all an in-depth investigation is a feel good Disney Channel presentation on Beatles.

I feel most peeps could enjoy listening to some music creativity in this piece.

Like it or not, it is part of the fabric representing the tempo of life we all partly grew up with.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 05:03PM

Joseph's Myth, wait until you hear about the Stones singing about the devil! It destroyed their career!

Date: December 01, 2021 05:11PM

Mick Jagger died in 1969. They replaced him with a zombie.

Date: December 01, 2021 05:16PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Mick Jagger died in 1969. They replaced him with
> a zombie.

youmeankeith

Date: December 01, 2021 04:46PM

Joseph's Myth Wrote:
> https://youtu.be/NstZLMeke4s

Do not miss the deep back-story of Rita Moreno, now assistant director.

Dec 10th I think!

More of an entertaining chance to maybe help break through these last two years or so of divisiveness.

Date: December 01, 2021 05:06PM

Some people still believe Rita Moreno died after West Side Story.

Date: December 01, 2021 05:12PM

She appears again as an amazing lady in the directing background as an assistant.

Not too often I look forward to something so much at theaters.

Strange as that might sound.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.