Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 10:55AM

What's the deal with sending your money to the mormon church for them to send to another organization through "light the world with love?"
Can't people figure out how to send money to Drs w/o borders or Heifer or whatever without having a middleman?
Or does the church take a cut?
Who knows anything about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 11:44AM

(Hi dimmesdale!)

I'm wondering how things work nowadays too. If someone donates to the church, it is a charitable deduction for tax purposes? Then when the church spends it, they also get to count it as charity for tax purposes? It sounds like the middleman church is possibly scamming the tax system with a second round of tax breaks?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 12:21PM

Without the mormon church’s passion for giving this charitable ‘pass-through’ money away, there might not be any charitable giving, above the Ward-level fast offering’s give-away, which itself is just another ‘pass-through’.

Tithing money charity pretty much just involves the church’s right-hand giving money to its left-hand. Mostly the church is all about streams of income, which very much includes all the first world temples. I bet they piss and moan about the third world temples . . .

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 12:28PM

Now EOD, I'm sure you know that most of those old brethren can only piss if they remember to take their prostate meds.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 12:58PM

Many of the charitable donations come from LDS Charities (or whatever they are calling themselves these days). This foundation is only loosely affiliated with the actual church. It is funded and run by rich Mormons and could operate quite effectively on its own. For whatever reason, they have decided to coordinate with the corporation. Maybe they want their second anointing. I don't know. But it is in fact not "the charitable arm" of the church.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 01:54PM

Your reply sounds the most true.

Check out their "Healthcare Legacy."

https://www.latterdaysaintcharities.org/blog/our-healthcare-legacy?lang=eng

Like their social services it was started by women and the leaders eventually caved into their member's groundswell charitability.

There is no leader of LDS that has done anything worth noting in the charity department that I can think of, and to think of all their dollars that two men got angry about when LDS claimed were earmarked for non-profit purposes and went to built City Creek.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 04:09PM

I'm not a fan of giving to umbrella organizations, but instead, directly to the charity. For instance, I know of at least a couple of times in the past when administrators had their hands in the till of the United Way. My preference is to go with a vetted charity.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 04:10PM

"I'm legally an illegal, but gleeful, legal-eagle, with a beagle," she said while arching one eyebrow and then making a kissy-face.

"I gave at the office," I said as I turned and ran.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.