Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 02:21PM

A little over a year ago I did a post about Canadian author Miriam Toews, who has 9 novels about Mennonite culture, often dealing with the difficulties of leaving the culture. I post about them here because it is often easier for people to see the issues of cult-like religions when it is some other religion, other than the one they personally are in.

This apparently strikes a nerve with a lot of people, considering the popularity of the genre, and TV programs like Unorthodox.

Two of Ms Toews books are being made into movies.
https://anabaptistworld.org/toews-novels-leap-to-the-big-screen/

From the article:

Starring Alison Pill and Sarah Gadon, All My Puny Sorrows focuses on two Mennonite sisters. They have left their strict Mennonite upbringing after their father’s suicide and navigate depression and suicidal thoughts, tracing a thread of generational trauma stretching back to their immigrant Mennonite grandfather’s persecution by Bolsheviks.

The film premiered Sept. 10 in Toronto. Reviewers suggest that while this drama oscillates powerfully between joy and sadness, it is even more focused on using the characters’ humanity to open societal conversations about mental health and suicide.

Director Michael McGowan told Variety he was attracted to the adaptation because of the way the book examines with empathy the reasons people want to die or commit suicide, especially within a community where religion’s influence is prevalent.

Women Talking, starring Frances McDormand in the lead role, was filming in August and September in Toronto. Based on the novel by the same name inspired by actual allegations of widespread rape in an Old Colony Mennonite community in Bolivia, the plot follows a group of isolated women who are sexually assaulted by nine of the community’s men.

In secret meetings, they debate whether to betray pacifist teachings and fight back, or to leave the church — and therefore God — by fleeing the community.

The acclaimed book was released in the wake of multiple celebrity sexual-misconduct and assault scandals and the #MeToo movement. By addressing society’s habit of tolerating men’s boorish behavior, Women Talking struck a chord with its unflinching look at how women suffer the consequences.

Directed by Sarah Polley, the film is also produced by McDormand, who won last year’s Academy Award for best picture and best actress with Nomadland. The cast for Women Talking also includes high-profile ­actresses Rooney Mara and Claire Foy.

The article also profiles her latest novel, Fight Night.

Review of Women Talking:
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/06/709530968/these-women-talking-build-their-own-faith-and-future

General article about Miriam Toews:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/25/a-beloved-canadian-novelist-reckons-with-her-mennonite-past

And as long as I am being the arts and culture editor for the week here, here is a review of the latest from Louise Erdrich, down the road a couple hundred miles from where Toews grew up. Erdrich is from Fargo, ND, and writes about the interaction between the white and Ojibwe cultures in the northern plains.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/louise-erdrich/the-sentence-erdrich/

So, keep an eye out for Toews' films, and if you are looking for some good reading this winter, Erdrich and Toews are very good at their craft, and are tangentially relevant to the exMo experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 07:46PM

>So, keep an eye out for Toews' films, and if you are looking for some good reading this winter, Erdrich and Toews are very good at their craft, and are tangentially relevant to the exMo experience.

I will because both the films and the books sound fascinating.

I agree with you that it can be easier to see issues in other faiths while being complacent in your own. Whenever I've seen parallels that's when I'd start having to think harder and ponder thoughts perhaps best left alone unless you don't mind potential upheaval.

A visit to my favourite bookshop is sadly overdue and I'm coming to the end of my horde of books-to-read. That will never do with snow in our forecast and what looks like a long winter ahead with a lot of alone time. Again.

Those 365 days in a year sure seem double that when there's a pandemic on. Good for the bookstores though.

My best friend's husband has Mennonite roots. I attended a Mennonite church for a while. That one was pretty mainstream. By then I'd had enough of the offshoot ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2021 09:43PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 08:59PM

After Momism shot me put of a cannon for telling the truth, Mennonite was the next church I attended, 'religion lite'; I love those value- oriented people!!!
Absolutely no pretense whatsoever

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 09:41PM

Just you remember!

If O'l Uncle Joe or Brother Brigham were back, they'd both just love love love it over there ..

Nothing quite like a bun hairdo and long uni-dress to turn some 19th century weirdo on.

ahhhpureaswhitesnow

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.