Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 05:24PM

I've always loved this tune and the way Fogarty sings it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnuB_DjhC0M

Heavy rainfall continues in British Columbia. State of Emergency still in effect. Gas rationing. Food shortages. (Due in part to highway system wrecked all over). Even emergency vehicles can't pass through in some areas.

It's been one heck of a week, says a CBC commentator. Understatement.

Now we're just waiting for one final "burst of moisture" according to the meteorologist, before the last of the atmospheric river effects are done with us. For now.

I'm so fortunate to apparently be in the best spot in the province. It's been wet and dreary but not flooded just in my little corner. I will try to never complain again. About anything.

Now I can say forever though: I have definitely seen the rain!!

Meanwhile, music soothes the ravaged soul...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 05:28PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 07:45PM

Great song! But, no, I haven't seen it today, TG!

Glad your great corner is cozy & you're alright.

Date: December 01, 2021 07:54PM

Thanks! Me too! I was terribly stressed all day yesterday and kept checking that my go-bag was still packed and ready - but didn't know where I would go if the worst happened. Super-saturation is the state of affairs everywhere. The third environmental river was moving in, the snow pack on the North Shore mountains was melting and avalanche warnings were flying.

A bit unsettling as I've always felt perfectly safe and sound here but then along comes Mother Nature to remind us she's in charge and things may not always go the way we would wish.

Cannot take things for granted so much.

So grateful I'm one of the very most fortunate ones.

And yes, I'm cozy tonight. Especially with the music. One of the most amazing endeavours we humans can achieve.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 07:49PM

I've been watching the news from BC today and hoping you get relief soon. You've got rain and we've got damaging Chinook wind here but nothing like what the flooding is destroying.

Date: December 01, 2021 08:01PM

Yes, LR. I feel so so so sorry for all the folks who have lost their homes, land and livelihoods, such as the berry, chicken and dairy farmers nearby.

Many of the homes they showed on the news had water swirling in all the way up to the kitchen counters. Some people will never get to go back inside their homes at all and there is nothing to salvage. At least one town nearby may become a ghost town due to the level of destruction and the insurance situation of many of the residents.

It's sure a lesson in how we obtain our meat, produce and fruit, which ordinarily we don't think much about. The price of meat was already skyrocketing. Who knows how high it will go now. And I don't remember ever having to ration gas before.

It's kind of a shock when things have always been relatively predictable and peaceful.

One ray of hope for many who have lost so much is that various levels of government are promising substantial assistance (such as for those who lost farms).

This is a prime example of how and when we sure do need to all be "in this together".

Stay safe over there, LR!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 01, 2021 09:05PM

I am Nightingale...thank you. Pretty much everything on my place that can blow down, has.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 12:53AM

I wish I had that moisture. Bone dry here.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 01:35AM

Me too, Dave. It is terribly dry here - weather guy says there "may" be some precip in a week or two. Not encouraging.

Nighty, dear, if you have to escape, we always have a spare bedroom here in High Desert Country. (Provided you are not allergic to cats.)

Date: December 02, 2021 01:14PM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nighty, dear, if you have to escape, we always
> have a spare bedroom here in High Desert Country.
> (Provided you are not allergic to cats.)

Lovely of you, catnip. Thank you so much! That would be fun. No problem with cats. (Unless they drop furry objects at my feet - I am definitely allergic to rodents, those Horrible Things That Cannot Be Named).

Today the sun is shining and people are breathing deep sighs of relief. There is still water, water everywhere, over much of the province but thankfully no more incoming. For now.

Some of the commentators refer to this past nightmarish week of flooding, destruction and loss of life as "a weather event".

Yeah, you could say that.

Others are calling it a climate disaster.

Yeah, that too.

What have we done and is it too late to remediate? The clock is at midnight. Or so it seems.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 01:32AM

I lived through a godawful flood (pre-Katrina) when I lived in Louisiana. We had about a meter-high surge of water in our house. I'm glad I was a lot younger then. I don't have the physical strength now to haul out yards and yards of water-soaked carpeting.

A dear friend from work brought over a picnic basket filled with different kinds of home-made sandwiches, bottled water, fruit, and home-made cookies. That was a lifesaver.

Take care, Nighty - I hope you have flood insurance. That's what saved us, back then.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 12:59AM

Hang in there, you guys!

Date: December 02, 2021 01:15PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 01:43AM

We would love to take some of that rain off your hands. We need it in western Wyoming.

Date: December 02, 2021 01:15PM

Rubicon, you're so very welcome to take as much as you like! :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 12:06PM

You should feel blessed just to be Canadian.

Date: December 03, 2021 12:40PM

I agree. And I do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.