Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 09:29AM

This is one of the most despicable things I have ever read about the written agreement between the state of Utah and the mormon church. The state saves millions in welfare dollars by pushing people to go to the church for food assistance, even to the point of nearly forcing them to get baptized if they aren't members!

The woman they profiled tried to do everything she was assigned to do including reading the BofM and attending Sunday meetings. She just could not go through with getting baptized in front of strangers and because she just didn't believe in it. So, no help for you!

This story may be behind a paywall. I hope it gets wider coverage because it needs to!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/12/02/utah-makes-welfare-so/?utm_source=Salt+Lake+Tribune&utm_campaign=0c204d03dd-TopStories120221&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dc2415ff28-0c204d03dd-12387281

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 09:41AM

I guess a mission president came up with this idea and then one day, it unfortunately made it all the way back into the states.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 09:51AM

I was inactive. It just so happened the new bishop worked with my "husband" in a bishopric some years before and he did give me help. When the new bishop was put in, I quit taking help as I didn't want to talk to him. I'm not fond of him. He lives 2 doors down. BUT I found that the people who get help are the missionary projects.

One of my husband's boyfriends was not mormon and he was getting help from the actual bishop we had in our singles ward who we dealt with about the gay situation. He told me not to worry at all, to put those worries aside, that it would all work out. (Not one leader told me not to marry him. In fact, they all cheered us on no matter what concerns I had.)

But another of his gay friends got help as long as he went to church. He was a member, but inactive, and supposedly working to put his gay past behind him.

My brother's MIL was a mormon, but inactive and an alcoholic, and she got help.

So I told other single mothers where I worked to ask for help. They all went to church. NOT ONE OF THEM GOT HELP.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 03:55PM

"the gay situation"

Quite the understatement.

I'm sorry, but it made me laugh. Not for the mess the church made of it all and what they put you all through but for the conciseness of the phrase, that covers so much eyebrow-raising stuff, a la moism.

That church, those bishops, have a lot to answer for.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:36AM

That is absolutely horrifying. Reminds me of when I was getting my MSW. One of the local charities would force people to sit through church services to get assistance. So many lawmakers wanted to pass on charity and welfare work to religious organizations. It’s just wrong.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:50AM

Well, I guess money really can buy happiness™.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 11:56AM

Back in the 80s, I was in the presidency of a Lao speaking branch. Most of the members of the branch were refugees who were fairly recent arrivals in the US, and many needed help from the church welfare program. Our stake president made it very clear that people did NOT need to be members to receive food orders. He didn’t want people getting baptized just to get food. I filled out and signed many food orders (the branch president was out of town frequently, so that put me in charge). Most of the food orders were for members, but a few weren’t. BTW-this wasn’t in Utah.

I don’t know if times were different back then, or if we just had a good stake president.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 02:42PM

Occasionally, some dumb cluck posts here to insist Utah isn't a theocracy because Nelson isn't pulling double duty as governor and ruling in god's name, or some such nonsense.

When a supposedly secular state can forcibly direct a welfare applicant to the dominant church for assistance, and condition the aid to acceptance of its terms, then it's obvious that the church is the real power, and that state is a theocracy in all but name.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 03:10PM

It bothers me that the article gives the impression that TSCC actually engages in large-scale welfare administration. One of the chief critiques of TSCC is how few charitable resources actually ever leave their coffers. (how else did they amass their fortune?) They have copious resources to give, but choose to greedily cling to them. This is no benevolent church.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 11:04AM

The church takes the parable of the talents literally:

"Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury."

Turns out Jesus is Scrooge McDuck.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 06:40PM

Poor people should be able to get charitable FOOD distributions without converting to another church. The Mormons that denied this woman food (for her refusal to be baptized) are horrible, horrible human beings. And the rot goes straight to the top of the church. Rusty Nelson could rein his bishops in, yet he refuses to do so.

Where I live and work, schools often serve as dispersal points for the regional food bank. Families are never asked any personal questions beyond how many they will be feeding. That's how it should be. If you show up, you walk away with food to feed your family. The Federal government needs to step up and insist that food be distributed without regard to religious belief or other factors. The states need to fulfil their responsibilities.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 07:19PM

Has been a few decades ago now - but "The Church will help you, Avoid the DOLE" was a main teaching for a long time.

Whole Church Welfare program was a big deal and "avoid the Dole" was referring to staying as far away from Government Welfare as possible.

It was a main theme for many talks at all levels. "the church will help" - was the main theme for this push for a long time.

Everything from providing food to financial assistence when needed so members would not lose housing was a mainsty of Church Welfare.

"We take care of our own" - and now they push Government Welfare first.

President Jesus can't make up his mind.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:46PM

This is true. I believe Neil Maxwell was one of the sponsors of the new emphasis on taking government support--because that support was funded by taxes that Mormons were already paying. I think the change dated to the 1970s although it took a long time to permeate the whole church.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 07:33PM

Let us not overlook the fact that the state is doing this in part because they do not have the funding to do it any other way. To me, that is the real tragedy here.

Every politician in the whole history of our nation has emphasized "lower taxes" as their primary campaign point. Now the chickens have come home to roost. I would not be surprised if the poor woman herself at some time voted for the candidate who promised the lowest taxation rate. So don't act all surprised, people.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:35PM

Right? WA state has the most regressive tax system in the country. I’d gladly pay a progressive income tax than our disgustingly regressive sales tax.

When I moved to CA in my 20s and found they charge sales tax on *clothes* I bout lost my mind. Necessities are not supposed to be taxed. People in PA raised holy hell when the commonwealth decided to tax newspapers.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:23PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:48PM

I wouldn't assume everyone's experience was the same as yours, Jesus!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 03:05PM

In the 1800s, the mormons had their missionaries teach a plan to get laid plan.

It worked wonders in England.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 01:48PM

I hope this come through! It is priceless!

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/bagley/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 06:56PM

Yes, I'm glad he was on it.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 06:54PM

Oh my F-ing G!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 10:35AM

Here is a link.
https://youtu.be/zZVQSl9lH2Y

So ironic seeing the video of how the lds is helping everyone and reading the reality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.