Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 09:50PM

12022021 is a palendrome. Also, if you turn it upside down, it duplicates itself.

You people in time zones further west can savor this great cosmic coincidence a little longer. Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:01PM

NOXON

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:12PM

NOXOFF

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:25PM

in b 4 ~ madam i'm adam ~

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 10:28PM

I AM! AM!

Christ on a crutch.

Date: December 02, 2021 10:50PM

EGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCELLENT !!!

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 11:09PM

All-time best palindrome, from a horrified luau attendee:

"Oh no, Don Ho!"

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 11:50PM

Today is also: International Day for the Abolition of Slavery

Tomorrow (Friday) is Be A Blessing Day, International Baboon Day, International Day of Persons With Disabilities, Bartender Appreciation Day, Faux Fur Friday...

I wasn't paying attention but yesterday was: Antartica Day, Basketball Day, Bifocals at the Monitor Liberation Day, Civil Air Patrol Day, Clark Kent's Birthday (Superman), Day With(out) Art Day, Playboy Day, Rosa Parks Day, World Aids Day, National Package Protection Day, Special Kids Day (I thought they were all special)...

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12022021 is a palendrome. Also, if you turn it
> upside down, it duplicates itself.
>

What do you mean it duplicates itself?

Those 2s look pretty funny upside down.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 12:26PM

Today is wait for it...123

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 03:28PM

It's also 12321

Date: December 03, 2021 04:37PM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2021 04:41PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 05:54PM

That took you four edits???

Date: December 03, 2021 06:16PM

╱╱┏╮
╱╱┃┃
▉━╯┗━╮
▉┈┈┈┈┃
▉╮┈┈┈┃
╱╰━━━╯

Was trying to do ascii art.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 06:37PM

Where's Ziller when we need him?

Date: December 04, 2021 12:03AM

ASCII art is hard to do here because RfM software does not like spaces.

Date: December 07, 2021 02:17PM

╱╱┏╮
╱╱┃┃
▉━╯┗━╮
▉┈┈┈┈┃
▉╮┈┈┈┃
╱╰━━━╯

Date: December 07, 2021 02:37PM

Victor David Hanson is a military historian and classicist with the Hoover Institute, and widely syndicated. In the essay (link, below) he discusses the event from Japan's point of view: what their assumptions about the US and the world stage were, plus their military/imperial goals, their miscalculations, and what was relevant in the European and western Asia/USSR fronts. For example, the Germans were advancing fast on Moscow, and the Japanese expected the USSR to fall, which would change the global calculus immensely.

Also, think in terms of two-front wars:
The US: Europe and the Pacific
The USSR: the western Axis and Siberia/western Pacific
Germany: Western and Russian fronts
United Kingdom: Europe and the Indian Ocean

All of which made it, truly, a World War.

So here it is, history buffs:

https://victorhanson.com/remembering-pearl-harbor/

Date: December 07, 2021 05:22PM

Date: December 07, 2021 05:38PM

Has working for the Hoover Institute become the Mark of Cain?

Date: December 07, 2021 07:57PM

I don't know what the institute is.

I do know this sounds silly to me.

"Supposedly Washington would sue for a truce, recognizing Japanese prior colonial acquisitions."

Interesting view of diplomacy.

There was a comment better than the article which drones on with little insight.

Date: December 08, 2021 06:14PM

The Hoover Institute is a conservative think tank, such as the Heritage Foundation (conservative) or the Brookings Institute (Liberal). Hanson is a conservative.

"Suing for peace" is a diplomatic term that's fallen out of use. Basically, it's when a country at war says, "We surrender. What are your terms for a cessation of hostilities?" Think of Germany surrendering to the allies in the (in?)famous railroad carriage to sign the 1918 Armistice, or France signing her surrender in the same carriage in 1940.

I'm not aware of the term having been used in any conflicts since, along with formal declarations of war. Another term that's gone is "open city," when a defeated or fleeing army states that they will not defend a city to spare it military destruction. Paris was declared an "open city" by the French government when they fled to Bordeaux just before they capitulated.

Regarding "Washington would sue for a truce (peace)," Hanson points out that that was one of several optimistic scenarios the Japanese anticipated--unrealistically, as it turned out. His analysis of the Japanese strategic calculus is one I never knew about. "Tactically brilliant, strategically imbecilic."

Date: December 08, 2021 06:36PM

The comment I liked.

CHARLES CARROLL
DECEMBER 6, 2021 AT 10:17 PM
Actually, the attack wasn’t brilliant even on a tactical level. the Japanese failed to bomb the clearly visible fuel depot which would have been very difficult to replace and, more importantly, the drydocking facilities at which damaged ships were repaired and our carriers damaged in the early Pacific battles were repaired and restored to service.
In 1969, Gen Minoru Genda (Ret.) who was a commander on Admiral Yamamoto’s staff at Pearl and who was actually the person who did the detailed planning, spoke at the Naval Academy. You can see part of the question and answer portion of the talk, courtesy of BritishPathe, through the following URL:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVACIU6D4V0H4KCO4GEBB2DNI9S0-UNITED-STATES-JAPANESE-GENERAL-MINORU-GENDA-WHO-PLANNED-PEARL

I was present at Gen Genda’s talk and remembered the most controversial portion; when a midshipman asked him how he felt about our bombing his birthplace, Hiroshima, in 1945. Gen Genda decried the loss of his countrymen’s lives but stated that we were at war and that, had the Japanese had it, they probably would have used it. He was whisked out of the country about three days later and never allowed to return. Asked about a potential amphibious assault, he said that he had recommended one but was turned down by higher headquarters.

Date: December 08, 2021 06:56PM

Hanson also points out that Yamamoto failed to launch 3rd and 4th strikes against the sitting aircraft and oil storage. But it was brilliant in advancing a huge strike force across 3800 miles of open sea, in winter, under radio silence without detection by naval or maritime vessels. So some of it means planning, successful and not, also luck--the US carriers were not in port.

Also, Japanese intelligence overestimated the political resolve of the American isolationist movement. Perhaps Yamamoto frequented the wrong cocktail circuit.

I wonder how a drydock would be critically disabled. The only thing I can think of would be to bomb the lock doors which strikes me as a tricky target. But yes, that would have made a huge difference. Overall, I'm to agree that it was tactically brilliant, even as hindsight shows how it could have been more so.

Date: December 09, 2021 03:03PM

"huge strike force across 3800 miles of open sea, in winter, under radio silence without detection by naval or maritime vessels. "

Mostly water they controlled. And given the plan was what it turned out to be, they had the luck of ambushing gorillas more than tactical acumen in my opinion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.