Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:56AM

My vote goes to Hogan's Heros, it's simply awful.

Runner-up: The Rifleman

perry mason comes on at a time when I need to de-compress, it appeals to my 'legal mind', ja ja;

Green Acres is OK too, but that's just me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 02:01AM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 04:02AM

Every six months they re-run the same Conference! …over and over and over!!

They say they’re different, but, c’mon!

ETA. I say this in Jesuseses’ named, amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 04:04AM by elderolddog.

Date: December 04, 2021 11:32AM

With the way that ChurchCo leaders alter, delete, insert, & dilute their sayings, shouldn't they say AMEND, at rhe conclusion rather than 'amen' which I understand to mean 'so be it'

just sayin'

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 06:57PM

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 11:48AM

I typically don't watch any of the old reruns, those that I liked back in the day seem pretty stale now. Given the opportunity, maybe Hill Street Blues. I can't think of anything else.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:06PM

I've never liked Beverly hillbillies, to me it seems racist, Tennessee mountain people don't act so stupid, the lucy show is hard to watch, when Desi and lucy split, she should have put it to rest.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 02:50PM

This is a good point. Almost all shows run too long to the point they are bad. Lucy is an excellent example, another one was The Wonder Years, it went about two seasons too long. I guess they were still profitable but the product sure started to get stale.

Spinoffs are generally hideous, too.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 12:20AM

Good grief, MacaRomney, are you saying that "Tennessee mountain people" are a distinct "race?"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 11:47AM

I thought Jed Clampet discovered oil in east Texas. No hills there but the show called them hillbillies. That's how dumb that show was.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 11:53AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought Jed Clampet discovered oil in east
> Texas. No hills there but the show called them
> hillbillies. That's how dumb that show was.

ArTexKans-Billies?

Now can you maybe just give me Beverly-Billies remastered and woke?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 08:04PM

No. If you listen to the theme song, it was about "A man named Jed, a poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed". Then; "Then one day Jed was shooting at some food and up from the ground came a bubblin' crude. Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea". They were supposed to be from the Missouri Ozarks but later they said they were from Limestone TN.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:08PM

I can't think of anything worse than reruns of Hee Haw.

Date: December 04, 2021 01:50PM

was Hee Haw a take-off of the Grand Ole Opery?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 01:00PM

Hee Haw was a show that CBS threw together in about two days to fill the time slot left open when CBS canned the Smothers Brothers' show. This was right in the middle of the Viet Nam war, and the brothers got a little too political, in the eyes of the CBS executives, so they gave the brothers about a one-day notice. Google for more background.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 01:38PM

I did not know this, and now I know where to place the blame for a small but regrettable part of my childhood. My dad is a bit of a bumpkin and as such was a fan of Hee Haw. That stupid "searched the world over" song still pops into my head on occasion.

On the other hand, my parents had some Smothers Brothers records, which were fantastic. How horrible to trade that for Hee Haw.

Date: December 06, 2021 08:07PM

I watched Hee Haw as a 12 year old. Only reason; Barbi Benton.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 11:50AM

It was the biggest money maker on television in the day. Hee Haw got great ratings and it had very little overhead.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 01:58PM

There are so many, I couldn't begin to pick the worst. A lot of them were pretty lame back in their prime, let alone now.

I especially dislike the sappy ones.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 12:16AM

I don't look for syndicated OTA much, despite a few stations in
my area, but Green Acres is there and the writing was brilliant.

The gags were classic (climbing a telephone pole to answer the
phone, sliding a closet door off the tracks to the outside, to
name two).

Hazel was a good one, too.

By the time I was able to reach the television dial Topper was
well into syndication.

To this day I won't resist a rerun of Bewitched.

Sorry, what was the question?

BcE

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 12:24AM

Uh, there's a broadcast tv network, BUZZR, all old gameshows from the late '50s to the '80s. WHY???

When I watch old color THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW reruns on local PBS affiliate, I feel like I'm watching TV on LSD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2021 12:26AM by snagglepuss.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 12:13PM

I absolutely hated Little House On The Prairie.

Loved The Waltons.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 01:50PM

Syndicated re-runs are just that because they were very popular shows. You may not not enjoy some of them, but why try and categorize them as "worst"? What does that do for anyone?

One persons worst is another persons best (I like the Rifleman and Hogan's Hero's). Sure, some acting and plot lines are a bit ridiculous, but I look at re-runs like art, like a time capsules.

I don't watch really watch TV re-runs, but I do tune into the "Grit" channel which is 24 hour old western re-runs, movies and TV shows, and I enjoy it....even if its a cheesy one.

I like Lawrence Welk re-runs too :)

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 02:38PM

Can't name a "worst."

I actually enjoy the old reruns esp the 70s police/detective shows like Mannix, Banacek, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Columbo, McMillan & Wife, Kojak, Ironside, Mod Squad, Starsky & Hutch, Baretta, The Rockford Files, Police Woman, The Streets of San Francisco, Adam 12, Mission Impossible...

There's a classics channel which plays most of them. I love 'em!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 07:36PM

I enjoyed Perry Mason, Ellery Queen, and the Eddie Capra Mysteries because you didn't know who the bad guy was until the very end, i.e. the classic mystery drama.

I also liked Dragnet (and a little less) Adam-12, because they were classic police procedurals.

Of the comedies, I think that All in the Family is my favorite (though it wasn't at the time it was out) because many of the topics, though political, are still topics we rage about now--it was a thinking man's comedy.

Bewitched, Love American Style, Gilligan's Island, and the rest? They were fine when I was a kid but I view them as being kind of silly now.

Hill Street Blues was a good police procedural, but as a totally blind person, I often found it difficult to follow (this was long before the development of described videos where narrators describe the actions happening onscreen when people aren't talking for blind people like me.)

The rest of those detective shows you mentioned? Nah! You knew at the beginning of those shows who the "bad" guys were going to be and I didn't like that at all.

Date: December 06, 2021 08:43PM

Those were all my favs too. Plus, Dragnet, The FBI, Harry O and for lighter crime, Barney Miller.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 08:34PM

All in the Family was a pale I imitation of the original but shocking in its time for American TV. Doesn't hold up in reruns. Personally one I recall being bad was Gilligan's Island. Amazed it was popular enough to earn rerun status.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 05:42PM

Gilligan's Island was my favorite re-run as a kid! Watched it every day after school just before dinner.

I always had a "lost on a desert island" fantasy as a kid so I loved it.....and plus....theere was Ginger!

I have the entire series on DVD.

Date: December 07, 2021 07:59PM

Mary Anne blew Ginger away.

Date: December 06, 2021 09:17PM

What about 77 Sunset Strip???

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 06, 2021 09:43PM

I don't know about bad reruns because I only watched the good ones. Like Kung Fu. Nobody looks for a brother like Kwai Chang.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 08:46AM

I don’t know about the worst old TV show but recently I’ve been watching “Star Trek, the Next Generation “ on Netflix. I never was much of a TV watcher back when it was originally aired so the episodes are mostly all new to me. I think they are wonderful. The stories are interesting and the technologies imaginative for the time period it was produced. If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, I recommend this show.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 04:20PM

I'm a millenial, so my opinion of syndicated TV re-runs is a bit different. My vote for worst goes to "The Brain Dead-sorry-Brady Bunch." The writing was mediocre at best, stupid to the point of insulting at worst. And I sometimes suspect that show was a plot by the pharmaceutical companies to increase the number of people dependent on insulin (I also claim this as a explanation for the existence of Hallmark Channel Christmas films). Plus, every self-important half-wit I've ever known loved to mimic the windbag dad's "lessons." Free advice to posters with children: never try long-winded speeches on kids. They will tune you out in favor of trying to figure out how not to get caught next time or vow never to be as preachy as you when they get older.

That being said, I used to love watching old re-runs of "The Twilight Zone" on the SciFi (now Syfy) channel. Even I, the ruiner of all things Boomers love, think the Rod Serling years of that show are classics. And I second bobofitz's endorsement of "Next Gen." Cue replies of "Neeerd!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2021 07:29PM by ookami.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 07, 2021 05:14PM

Most of us are nerds.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: December 10, 2021 08:15PM

Definitely the Big Bang Theory. Straight-up awful TV. Probably using the exact same laugh track as all the others mentioned in this thread.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 06:17PM

I've never watched many TV re-runs but the last Mormon Stake Conference I ever attended, the Stake President was bemoaning the fact that we live in such casual times that we can't be like the old Dick VanDyke Show where the lead character came home from work in a dress shirt and tie and kept them on until bedtime. Somehow the Stake President related this to the fact that we should be willing to comply with wearing a white shirt and tie to church to show our willingness to comply with whatever the church required of us.

If you don't get the connection, well I didn't either.
Maybe something about cults are as cults do.

Date: December 12, 2021 03:45AM

did ur SP mention that:

= Women didn't become Pregnant, instead, they were 'expecting''

some wonder, bc Lucy & Desi, along with nearly all TV couples slept in separate beds... (Immaculate Conception, v. 2.0)

Ozzie & Harriet, anyone?

Posted by: pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 09:07PM

You all were very privileged mormon kids. My parents would only allow HeeHaw, Lawrence Welk and Rifleman to be watched on their TV. Sometimes us evil children would watch Disney if my parents were at a Sunday evening Fireside.

The first time I owned a TV, I was 18 and living on my own. I was shocked at the sinful depravity of soap operas. All My Children was taking us all down to hell. LOL

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 12, 2021 05:20PM

Most of the sitcoms.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 13, 2021 03:46AM

AS a child and teenager I loved and laughed abundantly at the Monty Python TV shows (not talking about the films, which are better and more developed). Now those same TV shows don't even elicit a smile from me and I find them laboured, unfunny and intellectually snobbish. I've changed, certainly, but so has the context.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 13, 2021 04:47AM

Ozzie and Harriet. They spent the first 10 minutes of the show saying hi to each other. I watched an old Laugh-In show and I didn't even crack a smile. IMHO, the only humor that has stood the test of time was the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: December 14, 2021 10:32PM

Yes, R and B! I didn't get some of the humor as a kid but it is more amusing as an adult!

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 13, 2021 07:16AM

I'm relieved to find someone else who does not like the Big Bang Theory! Thank you!

I never could stand Archie Bunker.

#1 Worst Program Ever, anytime, anywhere is "The Apprentice."

I used to like The Waltons, until I watched a rerun last weekend. It brought me right down into the pit of depression! Turned it off, and felt better immediately. My ex-husband was right about that show. Nothing cute or charming about it.

At least Green Acres had the pig.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 01:31AM

In our modern, non-syndicated reruns, ESPN's 24 hour Sports Center has become a drag. Hideous. In the late 80's and college insomnia, ESPN was always a good choice at 3 AM. They showed everything from racquetball to the Mr/Ms Caribbean contest to lumberjack games. And they wonder why they bleed subscriptions?

I do not know if Happy Days is syndicated, but I hated that show.

What scares me is my grandmother loved Masterpiece Theatre, so do I.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 04:31AM

I remember when The Flintstones was a prime time show. Other shows I enjoyed - The Fugitive, Mannix, Ozzie & Harriett (I once went to a Dodgers game and David Nelson was in the seat next to me), Bewitched (who wouldn't sit and watch Liz Montgomery for 30 minutes), Gilligan's Island, The Monkees, Father Knows Best, etc. My favorites were Combat and The Rifleman (I'll still stop and watch them if I come across them channel surfing). And of course, I remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows. Sky King was my favorite Saturday morning show.

I do recall a TV show called "Julia" starring Diahann Carroll. We weren't allowed to watch it because it was "black show".

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 05:23AM

Not sure about the worst, but Columbo was the best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.