Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this - long time memb ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 02:12AM

I wish I had a passport. I would sneak away to some foreign place where I spoke the language, and just hibernate there until maybe February.

I love my family but I am absolutely dragged down by depression. I have been complaining about this since JUNE, for God's sake.

I want to hide where nobody can find me. No "Ho, Ho, Ho" for me. Just wake me up when it's all over. Maybe when Spring comes.

Does anybody else feel like it's all just too much??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 02:46AM

Yes.

I’m a Christmas failure. I like to give nice gifts, but haven’t and don’t know what to buy this year. None of my usual gift inspirations.

I want to make a nice dinner for everyone, but my cooking explodes in the large intestine.

I hate it all.

Anon for this, do you need a traveling companion ?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 02:39PM

Kathleen:
If you have any doubt about what to buy me for Christmas might I suggest a new Rolls Royce? That would easily deal with the issue at hand.

Date: December 16, 2021 03:05AM

What color ?

Black ? OK.

:)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 02:58AM

I sure used to feel this way.

From dreadful family experience, year after year after year, I grew to hate Christmas. In our extended family, Christmas always started out so beautiful and wonderful, and then, a few hours later, would be a nightmare--which I always got blamed for.

When I was converting to Judaism, my fellow converts-to-be were--almost all of them--sad and/or scared of the prospect of Christmases to come.

For me: I was jubilant!

Finally and at last I was going to be free from Christmas!

To me it was one of the best things to happen to me in my life.

Thirty-five years later, I still feel this same way.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 02:59AM

"I’m converting to Judaism so I can be done with the holidays by December 6th." -- Conan O'Brien

Date: December 11, 2021 03:00AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I’m converting to Judaism so I can be done with
> the holidays by December 6th." -- Conan O'Brien

I certainly do understand the sentiment!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: December 14, 2021 09:10AM

All I want for Christmas is to be Jehovah's Witness.

Maybe I could be OK with an every other Christmas plan or every year the winter Olympics or certain election years. It just happens too quickly every year. I guess I keep going for the kids. When the last is gone, I'm running to be the mayor of Ba-Humbugsville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2021 09:11AM by cheezus.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 09:49AM

I do like the xmas holidays in general but I'm waiting for the yearly debate, Happy holidays vs. Merry Christmas.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 11:49AM

I keep debating taking it all apart and starting over. Why does it matter to me? It is just my ex, my son, and I, and my daughter and her husband will be here for some of the day, but I am too much of a critic of my own efforts.

But this year has been different than any year that I can remember. Is it COVID? Everything seems depressing. I luckily have shopped all year and have most things I need to have bought to a point. Now I need a little inspiration!!! And I can't seem to find any. I don't feel like even looking in stores. And I'm only putting up a small amount of my decorations.

Even as a single mom the first year after he left (he left on November 9th), I put a lot of energy into Christmas. Maybe more for my kids than myself. Probably my loneliest Christmas.

My long-time boyfriend is just arriving at Cortes Island in Canada to visit his daughter. He has an air stream up there he stays in and she has a tiny house by the ocean. I didn't want to go. He is a Jewish convert and he always tends to be a pain on Christmas as he is irritable the whole day. So I wanted him to go and I'm glad he went. Myself, I just want to sleep. I know I'm depressed. My therapist asked me how he can help and I said, "It will pass." It isn't like anything in the past has helped other than being able to go in and talk about issues with him. Otherwise, I wish everyone would just leave me alone.

There will be no dinner fixed here. I should get a pre-fixed one from a local store. I should call around.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 12:06PM

I wish I could hide for Christmas.
It is no longer a celebration of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth
his birth has now become only a marketing device.
it is now a celebration of who can generate the most sales income
I neither give nor expect gifts. They have become meaningless

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 12:17PM

It has been decades since I've "done" Christmas. I'm single and childless, so I can get away with it.

I don't have any unpleasant feelings about the holiday (well, except for the relentless commercialization), it's just that it's not worth the trouble to me. The traditions and trappings don't add anything meaningful to my life.

It's not just Christmas. I pretty much ignore all holidays.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 11, 2021 12:33PM

I mostly find holidays a nuisance too. I hate having to go to any store during December. I don't like the expectation of having to buy a bunch of crap because of some date on a calendar.

I have grandkids now, so I can't get away with ignoring the season completely. I have not set up any Xmas decorations for years. Maybe in the future I will do more, but like the OP, things feel depressing now. I feel like holiday celebrations are a distraction from what is really important to me.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: December 12, 2021 02:56PM

I don't hate everything about them. I like the pretty lights, and the visual fanfare. I really hate the expectations, the excess, the consumerism, the memes that fly across social media that christmas/thanksgiving/new year's are "supposed" to be spent with family. I don't like the pressure, both emotionally or financially. I succumb to "keeping up with the jonses," because most of my family and close friends have more disposable income than I do. I'm not into tradition. I'm not into ritual. And I'm not even a believer in god/jesus, so the religious part is a big empty hole for me. While shopping for presents I feel obligated to buy, I see homeless people begging for money. The stark contrast just absolutely guts me. The excess of the holiday shines a spotlight on those who have nothing. The expectation of "family togetherness" shines a spotlight on emotional wounds or dysfunction. It's an emotional roller-coaster. I participate, but I count down the minutes until December 26th.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 12, 2021 05:19PM

Yes. I am a grinch..or so said my wife. My children and grandchildren like coming here for Christmas (some don't live close by)...but I could gladly spend Christmas day alone...like most other days.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 14, 2021 01:34AM

It's so overblown.
It'll blow over!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 03:14PM

Date: December 14, 2021 02:57AM

I had a number of compelling (to me) reasons for converting to Judaism/becoming a Jew, but one of those reasons was that I WOULD NEVER HAVE TO "CELEBRATE" Christmas EVER AGAIN!

It worked.

Becoming a Jew was, to me personally, one of the very best decisions I have ever made for myself in my entire life, and I am so grateful that, because of my conversion, I never have to deal with Christmas ever again.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 14, 2021 10:27AM

If they would just stop the gift madness. No one over twelve should get one. Go porch pirates!

I used to get so stressed trying to fill my gift list. I was so poor. One year I just said . . . well, you know what I said, . . and never gave another Christmas gift. My brothers and sisters joined me and we all agreed the best gift was not having to go shopping with the crowds desperately searching for something they *hoped* someone would like while knowing it was guaranteed to be re-gifted even as they gushed at how much they loved it.

"Christmas is over. WTH do I do with this crap? Plaid slacks. REally?"

A roast duck, eggnog, Billecart Salmon, one non-red poinsettia--the new apricot ones are nice and last till spring with no stench of Christmas attached if you put them in a turquoise pot.

Apricot and Turquoise. And unexpected gifts through out the year for no reason at all. Gifts that are actually loved.

Date: December 14, 2021 10:39AM

I want a puppy.

Date: December 14, 2021 02:12PM

What do you know about chihuahuas, and would you like to know more?

Date: December 14, 2021 02:15PM

I love Chihuahuas.

My little Binx died of cancer. Best, smartest, nicest, most beautiful dog on Earth.

Would love another one. You know of one ? ? ? ? ?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 03:32PM

Losing my dogs nearly destroys me. My last one I adopted and he had a heart condition and only lasted 3-1/2 years. I decided I was FOR SURE DONE and my boyfriend found these 2 at a rescue. Found out they had been abandoned by the road and a deputy found them. I heard their story and that was it. I went and got them the next day. They are 8 years old now. I'm already worrying, but then I worry the whole time I have dogs.

It does help me to get another dog. Mine are chihuahua terrier mix. One looks more terrier and one looks more chihuahua.

I read in a book just before I got my one with the heart condition that once you've loved a dog, living without one is a life diminished. I hate the thought of losing them, but they get me through the tough days especially.

Get a dog for Christmas!

Date: December 15, 2021 11:25PM

My little chihuahuas had 4 more little chihuahuas. So I almost have enough for an Iditarod team...hehe, They are cute little varmits, and need to find good homes for them. They are mostly chihuahuas with a hint of terrier. they found us and we could not turn them away. Like CL2... in my set one is more chihuahua and one a little more terrier.

Date: December 16, 2021 03:07AM

Hi,

Concrete Zipper has an email from me asking to pass my email address on to you.

:)

Date: December 16, 2021 09:29AM

ok. I added my email to your post about sending me your email via board moderators and it disappeared soon after. My email is visible to all who seek it in my profile here.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 05:02PM

Cheesus: I hereby vouch for Kathleen's character as being very worthy (dare I use that term?) and deserving of any one of your pups.

Date: December 16, 2021 03:06AM

Oh, my heart !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 03:08AM by kathleen.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 16, 2021 12:15PM

I'm not crying; there's just something in my eye!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 14, 2021 11:22AM

Glad to know that I'm not alone feeling a dislike for Christmas.

It's a child holiday that falls on a pagan calendar date.

When our kids were little, it was fun to be a part of the holidays, but then we realized that they enjoyed the boxes that gifts came in, far better than the toys that they got.

For me, December 26th is the "happiest day of the year".

What I like best about Christmas is Christmas dinner with the family.

We used to have a neighborhood street Christmas party each year, taking turns hosting the get together, but Covid has me thinking that I'm glad we don't do it anymore.

Date: December 14, 2021 02:20PM

What I like most about it is the misunderstandings that me and my wife have, and how she always gets mad at and fights passive aggressive wars with her mom. I love the complaining and the chaos and the feelings of disappointment everyone shares with each other. I love the over spending and the lack of sleep for the few minutes of living in a paper shredder as the kids tear open the material goods that I will trip over in the coming days, months and years. This cannot come around each year soon enough.

Seriously though, I like the idea of introspection, the thoughtfulness to one another. Though I don't care about the Jesus story, I can appreciate some reverence for the sentiment. All that is lost. I cannot dig it out of my family, and as much as my wife loves the Jesus and what not, she is caught up in the madness of it all. Maybe the spirit of Christmas can be found in getting stoned and letting it pass me by on that blessed evening.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 03:10PM

Yes! We all have different reasons, and many of you already know that on Christmas in 2016, my son had to have brain tumor surgery. It ruined Christmas then, and ever afterwards. There are also a few other bad memories associated with Christmas. So, f*CK it, says I.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 03:47PM

I wish most everyone else would hide.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 15, 2021 11:36PM

I have decided to hide for Christmas. This being Utah, about half my extended family are unvaccinated. I have a friend who got a breakthrough covid infection that developed into viral pneumonia, and has been in and out of the hospital for a couple months now. Finally recovering.

Thank you, no. Include me out.

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: December 16, 2021 01:23PM

I hate the entire holiday season. Last year I spent from just before Thanksgiving until after New Years in rehab (my choice, I was pulling a "Leaving Las Vegas') and even there I couldn't escape people trying to get me into the holiday spirit. Hell, I'd go to my room while they were doing the Christmas stuff and they'd come bug me to participate. Couldn't get them to understand that I'm asocial and don't like to be around people if I don't have to. Great when you work behind the scenes but not so much in a forced habitation like a rehab center. And the bad thing is I can't even seem to remember when I actually enjoyed the season.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: December 16, 2021 02:35PM

Yes christmas is just another day that I can't run my errands or go to town, holidays don't mean much to me they are mostly for kids, I'm just starting to do my Christmas shopping today. But the Maca house has all the cheap lights up and 1980s chik figuring up on the mantle and of course grandmas santa Claus collection, I got a lot of stuff so much stuff that it's hard to get around everything and I'm under construction as well, chaos!

Date: December 24, 2021 03:35AM

When I wrap a gift, it looks like a tamale.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 24, 2021 10:20AM

I hate wrapping presents.

Date: December 24, 2021 07:33AM

Christmas used to be a nightmare for me. But then I swore off spending the holidays with my family... either immediate or in-laws. Now, it's just me and my sweet exmo husband, and it's not bad at all. It helps being in Germany, where Christmas is magical.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2021 08:06AM

Merry Christmas, Knotty! I've seen pictures of the German Christmas markets. Do you hit them up? They look amazing.

Date: December 24, 2021 10:17AM

We did manage to go to the Wiesbaden market, which was not canceled this year. It was a little weird this year… smaller, for sure. But at least it happened, unlike last year. Down in Stuttgart, where we used to,live, the market was canceled the day before it was supposed to open!

We have lived here this time for seven years, so the markets are no longer a big deal for me, personally. However, it is fun to see how everything gets decorated. Our little village usually has an advent market, which is nice. We live in a close knit community, so they have little events. I’m the summer, we have wine stands, which are a lot of fun!

We also have a much nicer landlord, which makes things way better on all levels.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2021 08:05AM

I like Christmas, but for my family, the adults do not exchange gifts. So I only had to shop for my grand-niece, which was a pleasure. Not having to do so much shopping takes a lot of stress out of the season.

This year, I will be with them Christmas eve and Christmas morning only. So the rest of winter break will be mine. And I do feel that I need a lot of "home time." I like my job, but I need some time to myself.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 01:36AM

I didn't even get gifts for my adorable and much-loved granddaughters.

For one thing, I can no longer drive. I have lost depth perception, so I can't gamble on the speed and trajectory of other vehicles - and they are blurry at best because my eyes don't project a united image into my brain.

I'm scared of covid, vehicular idiocy, and all the other bad stuff that is out there.

Date: December 24, 2021 01:00PM

Here’s a song for those who are dealing with toxic family BS. My sister just reminded me why I like living abroad.

https://youtu.be/MydQU8L1Sx0

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: December 24, 2021 06:15PM

Anon for this - long time memb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish I had a passport. I would sneak away to
> some foreign place where I spoke the language, and
> just hibernate there until maybe February.
>
> I love my family but I am absolutely dragged down
> by depression. I have been complaining about this
> since JUNE, for God's sake.
>
> I want to hide where nobody can find me. No "Ho,
> Ho, Ho" for me. Just wake me up when it's all
> over. Maybe when Spring comes.
>
> Does anybody else feel like it's all just too
> much??

Good Gawd, we could be twins. I rarely use the "H" word, but I can categorically state I absolutely hate the Christmas season. Truth be told, I did when I was religious too, but buried. Now, I can be open about it. Alas, my spouse and children love it, so I play along as much as I have to, and keep the comments out of earshot of the smaller set.

I too fantasize about heading off to a far away place where this moronic holiday built around a myth, ugly consumerism, and forced participation. (I shit you not that I saw a job opening with a company I've done work with before that is in their Tunisian office and I found myself thinking "Well then, I am qualified ...")

So, yah, I get it. Christmas blows. It is the only holiday I truly dislike. But it will over in a couple days. :D

Posted by: Pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: December 24, 2021 10:53PM

This is a country song in the makin. Quick! slap a copy right on it. Serious

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 10:24AM

Best laugh I have had in a long time. I completely agree. Country song all the way.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 11:44AM

I'm just looking for the day to be over and done with.

Christmas hasn't been the same since my Dad passed away four years ago. We suddenly lost my brother four months ago.

My Mom is 93, is quickly losing much of her memory, and she's crying all the time.

The dog probably doesn't have much time left either.

I'm looking forward to having a Christmas Dinner with my sister's family for the first time since the pandemic began. We're all fully vaccinated and my Mom has even had her booster shot. It could be her last Christmas. You never know. So we're going for it.

My sister's house is in the same neighbourhood. I can walk to her house. But we haven't seen much of them for almost two years now.

My sister's dog died a few months ago, so it will be strange without her. She was my dog's littermate. But I'll finally meet my niece's two little rats.

I hope to enjoy the dinner, but then the day will be done and over with for another year, thank goodness.

Posted by: anon alas today ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 03:05PM

Spending this extended weekend away from work chomping at the bit to start on a big task that cannot be started until 12/27. A dark cloud over my entire weekend.

Immunologist to Friend #1 who is severely immuno-compromised said at a scheduled appointment last week that covid/omicron after Christmas will be a "sh**storm." Doctors don't usually talk like that.

Friend #2 called to share the news that her cancer isn't all gone and has recurred. She's faced so many health challenges the decade+ I've known her. Just when she thinks one has been beat, something else shows up.

New grandchild visited group of relatives on Christmas Eve and was taken to church services. Too young to be vaxxed, in a state of gun-toting non-vaxxers who don't wear masks. ? Whoever there has heard of a test? Would submit to a pre-gathering test? Christmas without seeing this new, young one...something I really was hoping for.

Someone I lost used to say "don't wish time away." That person grew up during WWII in Europe, endured rationing, carried a gas mask to school but never envisioned what we face today. Can we just "jump ahead" to whenever it is that all this pandemic will be in the rear-view mirror?

Looking for sunshine on a cloudy day gets old...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 03:11PM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 25, 2021 05:40PM

It sounds like WINTER in general .....and some agoraphobia or extreme introversion..... might be the real problem.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 05:08AM

Life including Christmas is whatever you want it to be.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 03:14PM

Well, Christmas is over, but now I'm snowed in. Nooooo ... winter blows.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 26, 2021 03:54PM

All of our snow has melted. It was foggy all day yesterday. But tomorrow it will be replaced with new snow. Bummer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.