Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:13PM

For Covid. He is fully vaccinated and his is one of many breakthrough cases.

So glad that he is vaccinated because for sure, he would be feeling worse than he now does. He has slight fever, what feels like a bad head cold, and slight muscle aches, and cough.

Half of the technicians at his work are out sick with Covid along with some of the doctors.

We saw him Saturday night, but so far, no symptoms or signs that we have it.

Today's number of cases has hit a record high of 13.000 positive cases.

My husband and I feel like we're the last holdouts in the trenches against this crazy war. We wear our N95's and are trying to be so very careful.

Everyone please stay safe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:32PM

I'm sorry that your son is sick. His vaccinations will likely blunt the worst of the illness. I understand your concern.

I'm like you and your husband -- I'm trying my very best not to get Covid. We'll see. A University of Washington model predicts that Omicron will peak on or about next Wednesday the 19th.

Date: January 13, 2022 04:33PM

By “last holdouts”, I mean the last ones to get sick; like standing in front of a tidal wave and hoping we make it to high ground

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:33PM

Best wishes for your son, valkyriequeen. My guess is we'll eventually all get the disease; the vaccines will prevent the vast majority of us from developing serious illness. I'm just glad for the vaccines.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:45PM

Best wishes for your son. The 13k case number was kind of breathtaking. I though Utah maxed out yesterday at 10k.

I guess we won’t have to worry about the unvaxxed keeping the state from reaching herd immunity any more. So there’s that.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 08:21AM

Wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 08:22AM by Kathleen.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 04:49PM

I had it in June/July 2020, before vaccines were available. I was totally asymptomatic at the time. but I quarantined for 14 days and had two negative tests before being released from quarantine. 6 months later, I knew I really had it as I had big time fatigue issues. That is the number one complaint of everyone that has had it......

I was vaccinated in January and February 2021. I got my booster in early November 2021. I had a medical issue that required me to go to the doctor's 4 times between 12/21 and 12/28. On 12/31 I tested positive. My wife too. We had cold-like symptoms. but no fever. Just runny eyes and nose and a cough. On 1/8, we both tested negative using a home test kit. Wife tersted negative again today at a doctor's office/clinic.

EVERYONE is likely going to get this latest version. BUT the vaccinations made the symptoms be not so severe and did not require us to go to an ER or doctor. Just took cold med's and stayed in isolation. In my area, they say that 90%+ of all cases going to an ER are Omicron. And close to same percentage of the people with bad symptoms are the un-vaxxed.

So, I am a break thru case too. I actually think this variant will make it not be a pandemic any longer and make it be endemic, like the flu and common cold. I suspect that every 6 months for a few years, we will all be asked to get booster shots.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:08PM

I'm glad you didn't get seriously ill either time.

I also like your general discussion but would add that viruses don't always naturally attenuate--and even if they do, there are occasional mutations that render them more virulent, something like the 1918 influenza. So yes, the odds are decent that omicron will help us towards some degree of herd immunity against a weakening disease but that is not a guaranteed outcome.

Also, the factors that contributed to the COVID crisis--including greater human intrusion into areas where disease vectors are common like rainforests and bat-infested regions, and global warming--increase the probability that we will see more pandemics in the future. There's a parallel to the decline of the Roman Empire and also to the ravages suffered by Native Americans in the 15th and 16th centuries. In both of those cases the geographic ecumene expanded dramatically as previously separated populations came into contact and plagues were unleashed on virgin groups.

The difference now is that the change is not between different groups of humans as between different groups of animals. Viruses don't care if they are jumping between different peoples or different species.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:14PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... bat-infested regions

Those darn bats.

They've always given me the absolute creeps.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 10:23PM

Why did it have to be bats?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 10:58PM

Because it wasn't snakes.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 12:06PM

Date: January 13, 2022 05:12PM

DaveinTX Wrote:
> I suspect that every 6 months for a
> few years, we will all be asked to get booster
> shots.

I heard this yesterday. Whatever it takes, I will do it. I badly want to avoid being infected if that's possible at all. Everything's relative - "mild" can still be something-I-really-really-most-definitely-do-not-want-to-experience, thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 11:50PM

That how DH and I feel, too, Nighty. We are in our 70s, and we both have serious underlying conditions. The LAST thing we need is a tango with this current plague.

Date: January 13, 2022 05:16PM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
> Everyone please stay safe.

Indeed. You too valkyriequeen, and yours.

Date: January 13, 2022 05:20PM

I'm just listening to a CEO describing her firm's current project: Testing waste water in search of information re the prevalence of COVID in various communities.

Waste water = sewage.

Some people do work I would not wish to undertake. However, they come up with interesting stuff. Information, that is.

Others do the dirty work so most of us don't have to. I appreciate it but don't necessarily want to hear the nitty gritties on it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:58PM

A note regarding a minor point of interest to those who are interested in interesting things of interest:

There's wastewater and then there's gray water.  One ought not to keep wastewater around, but gray water may be another thing...

If a calamity occurs after which potable water no longer flow into your home, besides having to rely on the bottled water you've stored, you're also going to need water for the toilets, so they'll flush.

We all love flushing!  But you're going to have to fill the tank for that to work.  So maybe fill some big containers with water just for that purpose.  You'd probably feel bad about 'wasting' drinking water just to get rid of our bodily wastes.

Although peeing in the toilet tank until you can flush with it might work...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 01:07AM

"peeing in the toilet tank until you can flush with it might work"

Is that a challenge?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 11:00PM

two types of home waste water. Black water which comes from toilets and gray water which is everything else.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 05:49PM

My D-I-L tested positive Saturday (1/8) for COVID. She's a nurse and has been vaccinated, masked, gowned and tested daily for the last almost 2 years.

She's now back at work after being tested as negative earlier today.

Date: January 13, 2022 06:31PM

tumwater Wrote:
> ...vaccinated, masked,
> gowned and tested daily for the last almost 2
> years.

The virus takes advantage of the least loophole, obviously. A message I hear experts reminding us of daily.

Very bad luck for your DIL.

> She's now back at work after being tested as
> negative earlier today.

Wow, that seems fast. She must be in great health and/or Omicron truly can be that mild for some fortunate folks. Too, she must be very dedicated, hopping right back into the saddle.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 06:29PM

around the end of August. My "husband" went to Park City for an art fair and came home with a cough. Oddly, I never got the cough, but I was obviously ill and I got the monoclonal antibodies. Now I hear they are scarce and that scares me. I'm all vaccinated and I had my booster when they said I should after having the illness (I had it a month ago).

I'm assuming I'll get it this time, too. I was so shocked I got it the first time since I had been vaccinated, so I'm not going to think I'm free and clear now.

I actually was sicker for a day after I got the antibodies. I had chills like you can't believe!

Date: January 13, 2022 06:34PM

Good luck to you and your boy and your whole family, Val.

Even vaxxed, For those who hate masks, (like me) please, please stay home if you can.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 08:03PM

Sorry to hear it valkyriequeen. Order some EmergenC and start taking it. I assume you have the cold meds just in case. We are just starting to get on our feet again from after Christmas when we got sick. The tests say it wasn't Covid but it sure was bad. I made a pot of meat sauce last night and I felt like I had run a marathon. We have gone back to curbside groceries and getting everything delivered. The thing that ticks me off is getting sick has delayed our boosters. I figure two more good weeks and then I will schedule again.

Keep us posted and say hi to your daughter :)

Date: January 13, 2022 08:34PM

Thank you, you guys….. I appreciate your caring and concern.

I sure will tell Tiffany hi from you Susan :)

We’re keeping our fingers crossed, with positive thoughts.

Date: January 13, 2022 08:44PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 10:19PM

I am so sorry about your son, valkyriequeen.

I wish him all good things, and I wish this for you, and your husband, and both of your extended families too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 10:20PM by Tevai.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 13, 2022 11:25PM

The good news is lots of people are gaining antibodies, albeit the hard way, but at least they’re not getting hospitalized or dying as much as last winter.
I’ve known a bunch of people who have gotten Covid it lately.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 09:53AM

depending on if I can get tested. I assume I can. Slept like the dead, had bad chills last night, woke up with a cough. I'm so hoping it is only "the flu." I might wait until tomorrow just because last time I had a false negative the first test.

I doubt there are any monoclonal antibodies hanging around for me this time. At least I have the e-mail address for the group of physicians who were/are over them.

Date: January 14, 2022 07:07PM

Well crap cl2! Keep us posted!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 14, 2022 07:42PM

I've had COVID for almost the last two weeks now (diagnosed on Monday, symptoms a week ago Wednesday). Because I have an underlying heart condition, I wrote to my cardiologist through official means after I began having symptoms but before being officially diagnosed to see if there were any additional things I should be doing. One of the things he mentioned in his response is that the monocloidal antibodies used to treat COVID were apparently ineffective against the Omicron variant. He also said that the new pills that are out now are effective against this variant, but that, in Arizona at least, because of limited availability, the new treatments were only being made available to those 70 years or above (I'm 58). Good luck!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 11:27PM

Hmmm. I thought there were maybe 3 monoclonal antibody treatments, and one was somewhat effective for omicron. I don't remember the source for that at the moment though. It sounds like a giant fiasco either way.

I hope you get feeling better. What other symptoms have you experienced? I'm wondering if you had runny eyes and congested ears like someone I know. I hope you only experience mild symptoms and no complications! Get well.

Date: January 18, 2022 04:15PM

Sorry to hear your news, blindguy. Hope things are going OK for you.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 18, 2022 07:55PM

I'm doing better now. My temperature is back to normal, and the runny nose that I had initially actually had died down by the time I wrote last week. I'm still somewhat tired, and the cold affects me a great more than it used to. And I have as yet to completely get rid of the cough.

But I am on the mend. And, on the plus side, this disease has caused me to lose a good 10 pounds--something I actually needed to do. Now if I can keep that poundage off...

Date: January 18, 2022 08:06PM

I'm glad to hear you are doing OK! Thanks for letting us know.

Date: January 18, 2022 08:56PM

Oh yes. Great news, blindguy.

Re the weight loss, also good news if you can spare it.

Be careful about making sure you keep hydrated though, unless your MD recommends otherwise for some reason.

I'm glad you checked in.

Date: January 19, 2022 12:55AM

Yay! I will add my happiness that you are feeling better. We are just starting to get on our feet too. I am still coughing so I am still sleeping on the couch or after Hubs gets up.

Date: January 14, 2022 02:57PM

Deleted and moved post. Sorry!

Still hoping all is well, valkyriequeen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 03:30PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 10:54PM

My double vaccinated grandson tested positive but had mild symptoms and is fully recovered. Hope your son gets well soon too.

Date: January 18, 2022 08:23AM

Val, how is your son doing at this point ?

Date: January 18, 2022 10:57AM

Hi Kathleen and everyone; I was just about to let you know how he's doing:

He's doing great; after two days, he felt back to normal. He had been in quarantine and is fully recovered.
It's such a relief to know he is okay. He's proof of how vaccines really do protect you.

My husband and I didn't get Covid; it would seem our vaccines acted like shields for us.

Thank you everyone for your comments and caring. I am so happy to count you all as friends, even though we haven't met.

Date: January 18, 2022 04:52PM

Excellent news! :)

Date: January 18, 2022 05:07PM

Great to hear. Thanks for the update.

Date: January 18, 2022 10:59AM

I hope blindguy reads this thread. I would also like to hear if he is doing OK. I hope everyone does well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.