Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 12:46PM

Americans are leaving religion at higher rates than ever before. Tell us why you stay.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/01/14/americans-are-leaving/

Tell us how you remain blind, deaf and dumb in the face of recent revelations your church has been lying to you and your family for 6 generations, when they were finally forced to admit both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young ‘married’ their followers wives and teenage daughters as young as 14, completely violating 2/10 Commandments and, more importantly, the Law of the Priesthood Joseph claimed to have received straight from God himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 01:15PM

From my perspective it seems like people who stay are the ones getting and enjoying psychological and social validation, facts, history, doctrine, tbms don't care about that. What most people want is for their ego to be soothed, they want a bunch of other members to tell them how awesome they are.

Date: January 15, 2022 01:35PM

What’s the old saying?
“No amount of social benefits can compensate for failure to be honest with yourself and others.” ?

Posted by: bonebxtch ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 04:29PM

It seems as if a lot of people stay in religion because they're either scared of losing their community, or suffering the worst fate in that particular religion.

That's no way to live

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 04:20PM

The modern world outgrew religion but that doesn’t mean it’s not ducking up in different ways.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 04:31PM

You quack me up!

Posted by: I ( )
Date: January 15, 2022 06:37PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell us why you stay.
>
> ... violating... Commandments... the Law of the Priesthood Joseph claimed to have received straight from [take out God] himself.>

Claimed

Stay calm
False claims

People are waking up, slowly

Don't disturb them

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: January 19, 2022 10:50PM

Jokes aside, what a time to be alive: the unmitigated bull-dink of organized religion is finally falling away. Here's hoping (without invoking a Gawd) that rationalism becomes more mainstream.

Well, that and it is hilarious watching the looney-tune crew squirm, but that's another topic. :p

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 07:35PM

. . . and somewhat informative, when triangulating "why"
-- or at least it's an empirical hypothesis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAR_OGzlcg

Plus, there are today so many competing gods for the ideologically inclined

Posted by: I ( )
Date: January 23, 2022 01:59PM

Hopefully

Albeit SLOWLY

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 25, 2022 10:58PM

club dues aren't worth it and people leaving would rather spend it on their hobbies on the weekend and enjoy life.

Posted by: bonebxtch ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 04:26PM

I don't understand why certain people think that this information is "bad" or that "satan is taking over america"

Less people will do something if everyone is informed of what goes into it prior.

For example, people who are educated on all the potential effects of pregnancy, and the difficulty of raising a child, are less likely to even GET pregnant. Informed consent is important ALL THE TIME.

Why don't people want their religions to be honest?

Maybe they know that their particular sect of religion will not survive if everyone knows the truth about it.

Date: January 26, 2022 05:12PM

We have basic needs that aid in our survival, religion fulfills those ‘belonging’ needs that fall in the middle of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. The herding instinct lies right in the middle of our mammalian brains. There are also other emotional needs that are often fulfilled by religion, love, acceptance, meaning, understanding, transcendence of self, etc.
There are also peak needs that religion leaves unfulfilled or even stunts, like learning, knowledge, self esteem and self-actualization.
Those needs don’t disappear once we conclude God doesn’t exist. We are just on our own to figure out how to fulfill those needs.

I’ve been on my own for over 20yrs.
Those ‘belonging to something larger than one’s own self’ needs are tough to fulfill outside of religion, but the trade off is worth it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 11:44PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.