Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 11:41AM

Christoferson and Bednar and their wives sitting in the celestial room looking all Mormony (I can't think of a better word to describe it). I could barely watch it. Couldn't stand the sound of their voices and what they were saying. Such a pile of BS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 11:45AM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Christoferson and Bednar and their wives sitting
> in the celestial room looking all Mormony (I can't
> think of a better word to describe it).

On major National Network TV? Really?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 11:46AM

Mormon Disneyland with Snow White and two of the 12 dwarves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2022 12:54PM by bradley.

Date: April 17, 2022 02:56PM

Comments of CBS Sunday Mornings Facebook page range from fawning adoration to "its a puff piece to "it looks like a mosque.and it kinda does.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 04:27PM

Bednar: "They're not secret, they're sacred". Blech.

Narrator: "While their holy scriptures are known as the Book of Mormon, today church members avoid calling themselves Mormons, emphasizing instead what they share with other Christians, a reverence for Christ."

The two apostles being interviewed are shown sitting in the celestial room with their wives. Bednar says the temple is "a place of light and peace".

Yeah. But are non-apostles and spouses allowed to linger there? I never saw that (on my few temple visits). More likely you get scooted out by the matrons.

What a waste of space it all is. Literally. Figuratively. Every which way.

Sorry Mormons, but...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2022 04:36PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 05:11AM

the MORmONS have nothing to hide in their temples!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmvYW1hbQwM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 04:34PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 06:21PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 05:47PM

Maybe they figure they need some LDS fluff pieces in the media since they no doubt are hoping the Mike Lee sedition planning story gets forgotten.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 01:09AM

Lee will be fine. Treason is the new patriotism, doncha know.

And besides, the church no longer handles these things like they did in John D. Lee's time.

Posted by: tilt ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 07:23PM

Yep, Mike learned from great-great grandpa what NOT to do.

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 12:51AM

The Benders giving a tour of dated 1970's architecture of a shrinking cult. I slept in this morning and I don't watch CBS. I think I was inspired.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 01:23AM

What Else to do when your relevance is Sinking Out of Sight?
They can’t Bamboozle the current generation(s) like they did in the 50s 60s & into the 70s

Retention of the current flock is their Only Hope…

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 01:40AM

They had the GC oil-coated semi-whisper voice affect turned up to 11. It was indeed hard to listen to. It is bad enough hearing it in GC, but it really sounds fake when there is a reporter asking questions in a normal, human tone of voice.

Date: April 18, 2022 01:47AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> They had the GC oil-coated semi-whisper voice. . .

Two words, either of which would probably work nicely in this context: unctuous and oleaginous.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 10:04AM

Date: April 19, 2022 12:08PM

Uriah Heep would have made an excellent apostle!

Date: April 19, 2022 01:54PM

Excellent point, LW.

I agree with the comment above that his wife looks strained.

What an absolute bore it must all be. So repetitious, through all the years. With him.

And I don't think the images of them sitting in a grand ballroom, so white, so cold, go over well with much of the world's population who (1) don't live in grandeur and (2) don't qualify to enter the Mormon sanctum.

Unless they're dead, when their names are used without their permission or, indeed, awareness. Big surprise, I bet, in eternity when they find out they're baptized into the church of one Joseph Smith Jr. late of the US of A.

Date: April 18, 2022 01:49AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> They had the GC oil-coated semi-whisper voice
> affect turned up to 11. It was indeed hard to
> listen to. It is bad enough hearing it in GC…

A necessary component of the Con, also now known as The Big Lie

at least some other ministers, priests, Rabbis care about their people, GAs lost that a Long Long time ago…

Numbers: More important than individuals!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 09:17AM

Here's the link to the video:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/inside-the-latter-day-saints-washington-d-c-temple/#x

Basically it's a promotional piece ahead of the public open house (Apr. 28th - June 11th.) Bednar, who looks like he sucks lemons for breakfast, gets to give the "familes can be together forever" line. Christoferson either has great genes, or thousands of dollars invested into dental work. They let the little wimmins speak! How equal of them. I guess their donut supply was not coming up short. There was a softball pitch question from the interviewer about baptism for the dead being for a member's ancestors, and I thought, "and anyone else they can get their hands on."

Date: April 18, 2022 01:49PM

My first reaction at seeing Chistoferson was "OMG he looks sooo f***** Mormon"...and Bednar sure is a short little twit ain't he?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 01:50PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 10:33AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 02:30PM

Is Bednar even human or was he created in a lab at BYU? His wife always looks miserable. The CBS thing was about as successful as selling stale and moldy pizza.

Date: April 18, 2022 04:14PM

Today, the PR tour continued with a meeting with Larry Hogan, the governor of Maryland. Hogan lauded the Mormon church's volunteer efforts. If only he knew. You could see Bednar in the background.

Date: April 18, 2022 04:37PM

summer Wrote:
> Hogan
> lauded the Mormon church's volunteer efforts.

What would they be I wonder?

As an aside, when I volunteered at a city mission there were occasionally Mormon missionaries there, in their suits, doling out porridge with glum faces. I never saw them say a single word to anybody. You'd think they would be happier doing that, or anything else, rather than door-knocking. Didn't seem like it. The mission was inside a Lutheran church building. Maybe they felt uncomfortable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 04:39PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 06:37PM

They said that members are baptized for their ancestors, which I do not believe is always true. They are baptized for anyone whose name has been obtained, and which has been handed to them when they enter the temple. I was baptized for a Guatemalan woman who lived in the 1800's. If I believed in this malarkey, I would be wanting to apologize to her.

Date: April 18, 2022 06:42PM

My paternal great grandmother was dead-dunked twice. There are no Mormons in my direct family line, nor any adjacent family lines that I know of. Plus, the dead-dunkings were done, IIRC, in the Palmyra, NY temple. We have no history in that area.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 09:58AM

The ward calling of a neighbor was to peruse newspapers and library records for names to submit.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 06:41PM

I lasted less than 5 minutes. Couldn't stand the lies from their mouths.

Then bringing in the cultist song about the temple.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 12:06PM

They really promoted their sealing room. Bednar with his stuck up demeanor was gloating about couples not only being sealed for time, but for all eternity. So I looked over at Sister Bednar, who Brother Pickles, has publicly humiliated in so many ways- Once she was beautiful.

So I wonder what she thinks about Brother Pickles lining up wife after wife to be sealed to him for all eternity? Is it really grand being wife #1?

And then I thought about everything that I had done to "earn" that right/honor to be sealed in the temple. What I remember, no flowers or windows. The room was very small. I think it seated 12-14. I know that it had limited seating and that I could only invite about 8 guests~ which were all friends of my parents. My poor wife had ZERO family/friends for support as her family were not members.

I also remember that the church controls the narrative (what is said, the pacing). I remember very little other than pay your tithing, keep the commandments and honor your covenants. Here the church won't let either the bride or groom read/recite any weddings vows, poems or nuptials. It is 100% corporation dictatorial. My goodness, if it truly is for all time and eternity, why won't the church allow you to be yourself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2022 12:07PM by messygoop.

Date: April 19, 2022 12:12PM

What passes as Mormon-heavenly grandeur comes across as tacky and tasteless.

That "pedestrian" walking bridge at the beginning looks like the lobby at any Howard Johnson Hotel. A bunch of chairs with some lamps, but where any meaningful conversation is stifled.

Date: April 19, 2022 04:36PM

The sealing room looked so sterile. And honestly, the altar has always reminded me of a coffin. So creepy!

You could tell that the reporter was polite, but not impressed. He noted the lack of "soaring spaces" that you might expect to find in a building of that size. He really only liked the baptismal font.

Date: April 19, 2022 05:06PM

summer Wrote:
> The sealing room looked so sterile. And honestly,
> the altar has always reminded me of a coffin. So
> creepy!
>
> You could tell that the reporter was polite, but
> not impressed. He noted the lack of "soaring
> spaces" that you might expect to find in a
> building of that size. He really only liked the
> baptismal font.

Any non-member seeing the font- This would kick a$$ with a drink and the jacuzzi jets blasting.

Messy's recollection of being dead dunked- Some girl before ralphed her breakfast in the font and the scum nets missed what is floating next to me. Very unpleasant memories in the temple's font.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 20, 2022 11:49AM

>>scum nets missed what is floating next to me.

LOL. Ewwwww. That's a whole different visual for messygoop!

Date: April 19, 2022 12:21PM

Open House?

I’m sure if they think the number of visitors is respectable, they’ll publicize it Far & Wide bc Everything in Morland is about Numbers, not about individuals…

just sayin’

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 12:28PM

Knowing Dave Bednar as I do, the hand holding with Susan was purely staged for promotional purposes. That guy is cold as ice with his wife. I only ever saw him come out of his man cave in their house long enough to pat her on the head and ask "What's for dinner."

Susan always looked like she was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I often wondered if after I left their home she didn't get a tongue lashing for having me over or for not doing something perfectly. Never met a more ego/power driven man in my life.

If you look at videos of them together you can see that she is looking at him for approval and he is seldom, if ever, looking at her at all. I've never seen them look into each other's eyes with that loving and caring appreciation for one another. He's the Alpha male in that family and his sons are subservient as well.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 01:20PM

It would sicken me but not surprise me to learn he was an abuser. His type of self-righteousness is often present among spousal abusers.

Date: April 19, 2022 04:48PM

Maybe instead of "Free Dorothy" on the overpass near the temple, it could say instead, "Free Susan Bednar."

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 06:51PM

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 12:45PM

I hope the CBS viewers were tuned into what was said, what they saw - and all that wasn't addressed.

A big hint was baptism of the dead. And "marriage for time and all eternity" and that "Families can be together, forever."

What good Christian doesn't, in some form, believe they will be reunited in Heaven with their deceased parents, spouse, cousins, old friends, favorite dog and beloved pet hamster?

Nothing special here, folks, except for the creepiness (of voices, appearances, wives seeking approval).

Move along, people...

Date: April 19, 2022 04:37PM

Yes, your average Christian fully expects to be reunited with their loved ones in Heaven.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 12:56PM

Date: April 19, 2022 04:07PM

Would any normal person want to sit down and have a beer with any of those four conducting the tour?

Try to imagine them hosting SNL. Try really really hard.

The white, completely sterile looking hallways looked like the opening of a dystopian sci-fi movie. Think of the opening space station scene in "2001: A Space Odyssey"

And yes, the majority of the rooms in the temple have no windows at all. They have all the ambiance of a well-decorated bomb shelter.

Date: April 19, 2022 04:14PM

White, sterile, vast, empty space. They think it looks beautiful but there's no there there.

Quite the metaphor for Mormonism.

Watch this space. And absolutely nothing happens - ever.

Date: April 22, 2022 01:20PM

I started questioning everything I'd been taught and specifically priesthood power as it was explained to me and wondered that power wasn't being invoked to stop wars and violence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2022 01:20PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: April 19, 2022 04:09PM

They should have donned their baking hats and green aprons. Imagine Bednar telling the reporter- I have more priesthood in my little finger than President Biden has on this planet. Watch me raise my arm to the square and zap butterflies out of the sky!

It's sacred (the temple)- Mormonese I'm not going to address your questions.

It's not secret- Mormonese I'm annoyed that you accuse me of being discriminative and exclusive.

Date: April 19, 2022 04:20PM

"It's sacred, not secret" is one of the most annoying half truths (and half is generous) about the temple.

It is less secret now only thanks to online videos. They used to not even allow the members going through the temple informed consent about what they were going to be blind-sided with agreeing to.

Another half truth in this interview was giving the impression that temple work only involved your own ancestors. That's not even close to true.

They didn't mention that LDS Inc maintains iron control over who gets to attend weddings in those sterile, windowless sealing rooms.

They also neglected to mention that men can be sealed to multiple women, though they do have to outlive their wives to do that. I wonder if a civil divorce allows a man the chance to get an additional sealing?

But in any case, dishonesty and weasel-words everywhere you look.

Date: April 20, 2022 09:13AM

Every church video about their temples suggest that members are free to come and go to the temple as a refuge from the world, as if it's a house of prayer and meditation- come escape the pressures of the world- sit in a quiet corner to ponder the universe.

What every Mormon temple needs are a series of interconnecting cogs spinning around wildly on the outside walls- Mormon hamster wheels that spin without getting you anywhere.

You go to the temple, you are put to work. They don't want anyone sitting anywhere. You are assigned a task and when you finish it, you are reminded to leave, get out!

I am tired of the church presenting the image that "temple approved" members are free to come to meditate.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 22, 2022 11:50AM

Temples supposedly emphasize what Mormons share with other Christians about Christ, they say. However temple ritual alone separates Mormons from Christiandom by emphasizing that Christ did not do enough at Calvary. You have to know those passwords, too.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 22, 2022 12:21PM

As a youngster, my older brother told me to never trust a man who wears a suit and tie everyday.

No offense to you white collar workers.

At least the Catholic Hierarchy don some pretty impressive garb to fool their sheeple.

After watching this garbage, I had to dump some booze into my coffee to get the awful taste out.

And, what's up with the one-ton bugle boy on top?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2022 12:35PM by breedumyung.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.