Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 06:33AM

There was no woman named Aegyptus

But America is a popular name for girls

There was a goddess named Europa

Who was the queen of island of Crete

Brittany, Kenya, and Lorraine are real places

And they are also real names

But there was no woman named Aegyptus

Because it's a made up Greek name for Egypt

Which they themselves called The Land Of Kem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AegyptaRoseFiend ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 09:23AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 10:00AM

Nope, Aegypta is a place name too -- in the Marvel Comics Universe ;)

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Aegypta

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 10:28AM

And don't get me going on the Star Wars franchise!

Put Kathleen Kennedy in a bronze-colored bikini and exile her to Hoth.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 10:53AM

There are no true Scotsmen.

Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 12:08PM

So, you're saying...

Egypt WASN'T discovered by a woman named "Egyptus", while it was under water?

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 12:58PM

The church website has precious little on "Egyptus." This is still up though:

"Old Testament Seminary Teacher Manual

Abraham 1:21–27
The origins of the government of Egypt are explained

Summarize Abraham 1:21–24 by explaining that after the Flood, a woman named Egyptus, who was Noah's granddaughter through Ham, settled in a land with her sons. The land became known as the land of Egypt, and Egyptus's oldest son, Pharaoh, established the first government (subsequent leaders of Egypt were also called Pharaoh). Ask a student to read Abraham 1:25–27 aloud. Invite the class to follow along and look for how Pharaoh tried to set up his kingdom."

The church continues to maintain that Egyptus' son was actually *named* "Pharaoh," and that subsequent rulers used that proper name as a title.

The mental contortions on FAIR are wondrous to behold. They have a massive word salad wall of text to attempt to explain it away. It starts out "The Book of Abraham contains a founding myth of Egypt." Except that the church presents and teaches it not as a myth, but a literal and genuine historical event.

Another sentence reads: "One of the Kirtland Egyptian Papers notes that Abraham 'was forewarned of God to go down into Ahmehstrah, or Egypt, and preach the gospel unto the Ahmehstrahans.' The word may be related to the Hebrew Mizraim — it sounds a bit like it." No, FAIR, it doesn't.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 04:55PM

JS was just channeling the US fascination with all things Egyptian at that time, thanks to Napoleon. He ended up being too clever by half on that "Aegyptus" thing.

The BoA was what finally broke my shelf. Most of Mormonism's claims are unfalsifiable. I mean, if JS said an angel took the gold plates back to heaven, even though they weren't in heaven to strat with, how can you prove that wrong? The only real counter-argument you have is "you're kidding, Right? An angel took them?"

But when the papyri were found in 1966, I was thinking that we finally had something that could be used to affirm or refute the BoA. We can read Egyptian now. We can carbon date organic material now.

It did not go well for JS's claims about the BoA. Not at all well.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 06:21PM

> It did not go well for JS's claims about the BoA.
> Not at all well.

Nor for the credibility of Hugh Nibley or, in fact, the general apologetic project.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 06:27PM

Nibley was Mormonism’s favorite intellectual in the 1960s. His scholarship has not aged well. I should stop by Deseret Book and see if they still carry anything by Nibley.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 06:34PM

I was struck by horror when I read his disingenuous defense of the BOA. It was clear that the man had sold his soul.

I don't know how a person lives like that: trading his birthright as a (marginally credible) academic for a mess of Mormon praise. What terrible nights he must sometimes have passed.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 08:48PM

What does a Mormon celebrity/"intellectual" need with credibility? Any mystery can be solved with "cuz God".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.