Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 07:22AM

What started out as an early 19th Century sex cult became a 20th Century business empire and only needs to be a "religion" as a tax dodge.

The only "mission" or "vision" (apart from reproducing more sheep to fleece) is to preserve the mores of post WW2 era America in the midst of sweeping demographic and social change — because that's when the ossified men who run LD$, Inc. grew up and they think everyone else should live that way too, no matter if they want to or not. That's why they have made common cause (for the time being) with the Evangelicals who want to keep America "white. "

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 09:48AM

We recently moved, so the new elders quorum president and a companion decided to pay a visit. All they had to offer was the latest study manual of some kind, which I declined. They were apologetic in their visit and offer. There was no attempt to persuade me that I was missing out on anything good, in fact they seemed to want to justify themselves instead -- "were all just trying our best".

I don't think they'll be back. It must be awkward to be required to proselytize when you have less and less to offer.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 10:34AM

The one true church line seems to be softening too, so it is not like they are offering you an escape from hell or whatever either.

Mormonism is not fun enough to mainstream. The only thing it ever had to offer was some unique teachings, as it moves on the curve to being the same thing as <insert city> Community Church,just with less interesting music and sermons, I have to wonder if they are even trying anymore?

At least when there was a Kolob and gods and worlds without end there was something to take hold of. Now it seems like they worship an image of the 1950's that was manufactured by people who do not remember the 1950's

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 22, 2022 05:22AM

Well said.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 22, 2022 06:44AM

Whoever built that world didn't train their replacements before the last round of layoffs.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2022 11:31AM

They seem to think if not actually believe that their indoctrination lessons are not only truthful but also enjoyable to listen to & ‘teach’… What a Crock!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 10:16AM

I think you're right. Just watching that PR stunt at the DC temple, with their zombie affectation and their idea free explanations is not only unappealing, but actually frightening. It screams cult. And since the power brokers at the top are only incentivized to keep a tight grip on their power, they've doomed themselves.

This clip was posted in a post about the DC temple thread. It kind of sums it all up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBsWbopjXU

Bednar hesitates to stand just to flex his small amount of power. It's interesting that he feels the need to do this. But he really enjoys the flex. These guys don't want to give that up. It's far more important than anything they could do for the church. It may be a very small pond, but he's quite the big fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2022 10:17AM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 10:21AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 11:27AM

I wonder if any of the other GAs see or understand that anointing Bedknobs might have been a dreadful mistake vis-a-vis Mainstreaming?

Date: April 22, 2022 06:47AM

I can see how chum in the water would remind you of Dave.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 21, 2022 09:54PM

So, "anybody", how do you REALLY feel about the church. :)

Date: April 22, 2022 05:37AM

After the people who were the true believers in the religion of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were purged, what was left?

LD$, Inc. became a "stick in the mud" resisting racial and social change after WW2.

Date: April 22, 2022 04:38AM

Choose the white?

Date: April 22, 2022 05:20AM

Posted by: jazbo ( )
Date: April 22, 2022 11:19AM

Yes. Absolutely. When a choice is placed before you. :)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 24, 2022 07:47PM

And it’s starting to stinketh.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 25, 2022 09:37PM

In fact, there are blow flies buzzing about the place.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 26, 2022 01:30AM

hehehehe . . .

I can't stop reading the topic . . .

hehehehehe

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 26, 2022 02:47AM

Ah there is no love between the evangelicals and Mormons. There never has been. The evangelicals view Mormons as dark magicians and not Christian.

Date: April 26, 2022 05:32AM

Date: April 26, 2022 05:08AM

Cardio is your friend.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 26, 2022 12:51PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.