Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 07:09AM

Who did Wendy's makeup? It looked like she was sweating the whole talk. Terrible make up and if you watched when she walked from the pulpit at end of her talk she looed old with that shuffle old people had. her make up made sense, She was trying to look young and beautiful but if you look closely she looks old and mean. Not happy!!!! Her talk was weird and it ws being about a holy young person. But she had to make sure she used the pronouns he and she all the way through the talk and it was distracting. Her testimony was even more weird. She said something to effect that I can stand up in any court in the world and bear testimony that Dusty Rusty is Gods true prophet on the earth in the name of Jesus Christ amen. As a former University Professor she should know you have to give facts for a testimony to be true. She was saying to the young people, "I know something you don't know." Her sincere rating for me was low. She reminded me of the wife of that TV minister a few years ago.

Rusty on the other hand just confused everyone including me. He basically said that we would not put titles on people. We should not judge people. To do so in not the way God works, etc, etc, etc. We need to accept people the way they are. NO LABELS. How does that work when youth and being interviewed and judged. Or you get a temple recommend, you get judged. It was like there is no more absolutes like I was taught growing up in the church. The guy looked old and evil. Then he concluded with blessing the youth by raining his hands like the pope does when he does his stuff from the Vatican/

I saved the best to last. The German guy conducted the meeting and you need to watch the opening. He stood their grinning and smiling for a long time before saying something. It looked like he was on drugs, I kid you not. He was like a performer preparing the audience. But my views are just that. TBM would have seen something else maybe and that is a big maybe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 07:25AM

I think Wendy is running Dusty, he comments were very woke. She came across as "I know Everything" She introduced her husband as the next speaker. Dusty said they he and his wife had been working on the for months but it just was not inspiring or uplifting. She says one thing and he says another. To be a Holy Person in the Church today means you can be what ever you want to be as there is no name calling or judgement to be made. This was much different than when I was kid in Church. We were told what was right and wrong. We were told what was expected of us by Heavenly Father. So looking forward to others comments and how the youth sa this last night.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 12:53PM

Who's walking all around Salt Lake City
Lecturing everybody she sees?
Who set a goal to capture a prophet?
Everyone knows it's Wendy.

And Wendy sees Russ sleep, then
Writes stuff with his lighted pen
And Wendy has books to buy
By mormon crowds, by mormon crowds

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2022 11:15AM

I remember hearing that song on the Ed Sullivan Show, performed by the Guilty by Association.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 18, 2022 03:50PM

↑ like!!!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 01:44PM

You used the Mormon prophet and woke in the same sentence. I'm not buying it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 04:21AM

I would love to hear the gossip from the church office building right now. When it gets crazy at the top everyone at the COB feels it. Russ has put those people especially the temple department through the wringer.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 03:35PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thousands couldn't get a seat.
>
> https://www.ksl.com/article/50405559/president-nel
> son-tells-young-adults-to-focus-on-three-fundament
> al-truths-including-who-you-are

I think the church regularly does this (oversells available seating). Back in the late 80s, my teacher quorum received special tickets to attend the in person Sat night ph session at the Tabernacle. Indeed, ETB was there and still able to speak.

We came a long ways to attend and my Mom (the ph chaperone- no kidding!) was completely naïve that church ushers were turning away people with and without tickets. She put up a good fight explaining that we had driven 9 hours (longer with car trouble) so that got us seated in the foreign language pews. I probably had more fun putting on the headsets and rotating the dial to listen to the different interpreters than paying attention to the talks.

Looking back the church probably gave out 50% more tickets than could be seated.

Oh, my Mom was not permitted to sit inside the Tabernacle during the 2 hour session. Instead, she took her church appointed spot sitting on a bench in her Sunday dress and shoes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 03:40PM by messygoop.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 10:05AM

Youths? I thought they were Utes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEf_88FFs4

Date: May 16, 2022 10:13AM

I have not watched the broadcast yet.

Based on the emphasis on titles, I think they are discouraging the youth from proudly proclaiming, I am a loved gay child of God.

Yes, I believe there is tremendous angst and consternation from the 12 that the youth and parents boldly proclaim that they are proud to be a member of the church with the title of bi-gay, lesbian, queer and trans. That's what I think the talk is about.

I was called lots of titles as a young man trying to do my best as a Mormon walking crooked on that perfect tight rope. Sloth, unworthy, dirty. I was called unkempt (I didn't know what that was- I went home to my Merriam Webster dictionary, but I figured that it was an insult due to tone).

Why unkempt as a deacon?

I wore a clip on tie. The cool kids felt inspired to yank it off and run down the hallway with it in hand. I would walk room to room, closet to closet, looking for it. This was right before Sacrament mtg. Without a necktie, you were not properly attired to pass the sacrament.

This caused undeserved wrath from my Mom as she did not want me sitting next to her, but passing the sacrament. So she would hit me for losing the necktie. Often I would go around one last time and find it in a trash can. Sometimes, they kept it as a souvenir and other times, they poured motor oil on it.

Another time I can discuss my reporting to high council after serving a 2 yr church mission and being told that I wasted the Lord's time.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 01:14PM

that story set off some triggers. Bullies in the deacon's quorum. The absolute worst in mine went on to become the AP in his mission. Something is just not right.

Date: May 16, 2022 03:06PM

sd Wrote:
> that story set off some triggers. Bullies in the
> deacon's quorum. The absolute worst in mine went
> on to become the AP in his mission. Something is
> just not right.

Here's a silver lining. I endured about 4 years of this crap (from my church aged peers- leader abuse was a total of 5 years). By the time I reached the priest quorum- those bullies had been run off (the stake president went after any youth admitting to kissing a bf/gf) and others moved away.

New bishop, stake president, ym leader created a positive change. And now too dumb to lead (me-messy) was all of sudden worthy to be a first assistant in the priest Q because there was no one left.

So none of those horrible kids served missions to my knowledge, but I had a bully for a mission prez and he indeed picked some asshats to be zone leaders.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 11:23AM

"we would not put titles on people… NO LABELS."

So he's OK with being called Russell now instead of President Nelson? I don't think that's what he had in mind. He doesn't have the best words.

Date: May 16, 2022 11:47AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 11:48AM by messygoop.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 12:07PM

Maybe because the traditional church titles aren't matching mainstream Christians?

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 11:48AM

No labels anymore? Great! That means I'm no longer inactive, less active, anti-Mormon, a lost sheep, wayward, deceived, etc.

Date: May 18, 2022 03:54PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 05:30PM

Happy to oblige, honorable Lemonite.

Date: May 21, 2022 11:29PM

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I have Medicare.

Date: May 16, 2022 12:17PM

She wrote a terrible children's book promoting children to never sin.

Did she forget that she wrote such garbage that is based on judging others?

Date: May 20, 2022 12:04PM

Did she say they should sin, but not be herd?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 04:47PM

People can still be cruel and hateful without applying labels. It's not necessarily the label that is the problem but the hatred and discrimination attached to it.

Why not jus tell the youth to treat people they way they would like to be treated? Be kind to everyone. Simple.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 09:07PM

heartbroken Wrote:

> Why not jus tell the youth to treat people they
> way they would like to be treated? Be kind to
> everyone. Simple.

Well, pilgrim, there’s your problem!

Nothing is ‘simple’ in ChurchCo or in Morland; if it was -is simple, What would the apostles do to earn a living?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 07:19PM

So what was the point of that kabuki theater ?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 07:51PM

When I teach a lesson, giving examples of what I'm talking about is expected. So, what exactly do you mean by labels, Rusty? Enlighten us.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 08:23PM

I have no idea what he's talking about.

Maybe he wants to get away from the title prophet in public.
Maybe they realize how dumb "Elder" sounds.
Maybe they get miffed when certain members go around using their professional titles at church.
Maybe they don't want gender labels.
Maybe they don't want people identifying themselves politically.

You'd think they would realize what a joke they made of themselves trying to get rid of the Mormon title, but they just can't help themselves.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 16, 2022 08:25PM

SEcular Priest Wrote:
> How does that work when youth and being
> interviewed and judged.

The members shouldn't judge and label, that's the leaders' job.

Posted by: TigerTom ( )
Date: May 17, 2022 02:08AM

Does make you wonder if this is a first tentative step in more mainstreaming. I.e looking to ditch title elder for missionaries and priesthood holders in general.

What a weird talk. Judge not lest ye be judged is Christianity 101 but from this Church that's rich their whole ethos is about judgment. Are you worthy for and to keep a calling or temple recommend. If not maybe judged in a kangaroo court of love. If you are then it gets spotted you cant participate and the rest of the church judge you.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 05:04PM

TigerTom Wrote:
> Does make you wonder if this is a first tentative
> step in more mainstreaming. I.e looking to ditch
> title elder for missionaries and priesthood
> holders in general.

Dammit, they can't do that or my username won't make any sense.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: May 18, 2022 09:30AM

Maybe he was waiting for applause.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 03:33AM

“show” being the operative word here…

just sayin’

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 04:17AM

The Nelson’s are strange ducks. I watched this Roots Tech video where Russ is talking about talking to dead ancestors. He sounds like a nutball.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 06:46PM

link? (that sounds intriguing)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.