Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 04:55PM

No anxiety about the future grandchild being raised in poverty.

No anxiety about his daughter or son-in-law not having a career or anything to fall back on.

Very strange guy.

Grandparents are supposed to be older and wiser. He’s not wiser. And he’s barely older at 49.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 04:57PM

Who we talking about here? I was 53 when I became a grandparent BTW.

Date: May 20, 2022 05:03PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who we talking about here? I was 53 when I became
> a grandparent BTW.

A TBM in my network, regrettably.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 05:17PM

My dad was nearly 50 when I was born. I probably had the most boring parents in the neighborhood (j/k,) but I was raised in a comfortable home in a very safe area, had a lovely wardrobe, dance lessons, music lessons, never wanted for anything, and had my college paid for. There are worse things in life than having parents who have stable lives, some accumulated wisdom, and prosperity.

Date: May 20, 2022 06:56PM

summer Wrote:
> My dad was nearly 50 when I was born. I probably
> had the most boring parents in the neighborhood
> (j/k,) but I was raised in a comfortable home in a
> very safe area, had a lovely wardrobe, dance
> lessons, music lessons, never wanted for anything,
> and had my college paid for. There are worse
> things in life than having parents who have stable
> lives, some accumulated wisdom, and prosperity.

My dad was 40 when he had me. He was mature and stable and well into his career.

I’m talking about a 49-year-old grandfather on this thread with a son-in-law and daughter with no education, career and stability having kids.

Big difference.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 07:00PM

Yes, I got that. I was just relating it to my own family's experience. My family tends to put off childbearing. There are good points to that (as I stated above,) but also bad points (you don't have as much time to enjoy the grandchildren.)

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 08:17PM

summer Wrote:
> My dad was nearly 50 when I was born.

Mine was 48. By the time I came along (number six) he was well past the novelty of fatherhood and had delegated the active parenting to my mother while he got deeper into his career and service in the church (1st counselor > high council > bishop). Most of my childhood interactions with him were about his disappointment I didn't think and act like a middle-aged man.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 08:52PM

?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 10:28PM

And they're younger than 49.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 09:14AM

Nice dog whistle you got there.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 01:51PM

Nailed it !

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 01:54PM

Every bloody post.

The last one was his "rebuttal" of complaints about abuse of that trans kid by suggesting American liberals support female genital mutilation. . .

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 11:49PM

weird because ~

u. s. americans and canadians have been having babies with no problems for 100's of years ~

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 06:39AM

Having children young is great in a way because you have more energy at the time. The downside is becoming a grandparent at a younger age. That could very well happen to me. It’s just going to make me feel old, but I can’t see any other negative (for the grandparent). But it’s hardly a big issue.

It’s a vanity thing.

On the other hand, I had a child with no money or career (or partner). It was tough but I have no regrets. I sorted out the money and career as I went along. If there are two parents it should be fine if that’s what they want, except of course we’re talking about a mormon situation.

Date: May 21, 2022 09:23AM

Your subject line says he’s really anxious, and then the post itself seems to be complaining that he is not anxious. I’m confused.

Lots of people are anxious about lots of things, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. We generally muddle through. Anyone here ever take a job they wish they hadn’t? Married someone they wish they hadn’t? Been a member of a church that they found regrettable?

Date: May 21, 2022 10:18AM

I reread the post. I guess you are saying he is a self-centered doofus anxious about something of little consequence, no anxious about stuff that matters.

I’m not sure how you assess someone else’s level of anxiety on multiple issues. Hell, half the time I’m not sure what is making me anxious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.