Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dudette ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 12:28AM

Hi! It's been around 5 years since I was last searching for mormon stuff.
I just watched the 5th episode of under the banner of heaven. I get a little PTSD from this show. As a Mexican Mormon and have been thru a very toxic marriage, I can relate. My last bishop told that my job was to protect my ex husband, even from himself.
But, this episode made me rethink everything about the church history, I dig up and found a lot of s*** and resigned. But this episode was another level of f***ed up. I can't shake it off.
Do you guys think it's true? Brigham young was involved in Joseph smith's death?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 01:16PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 01:05PM

If I recall correctly, B.Y. was far away like back east somewhere at the time of J.S.'s death. However, during my awakening and leaving the church period, I did a lot of studies. I couldn't prove with undeniable evidence that B.Y. was behind J.S.'s death, but there was so much fishy crap like the poisonings of the Smith's and so forth.

Also if you examine the MMM, John D. Lee was clearly a fall guy taking orders. As I look at this and all of those type of things plus the fall outs of several major players of the start up of LDS Inc such as Cowdry, the Whitmer's and even that issue with John C. Bennett, it makes perfect sense to me that B.Y. was organizing a coup d'état.

Moreover, I read something where Smith had no intention to go to the jail in the end freely. He was under the belief that his militia was close at hand to rescue him, but that got boxed out too. He was armed in the jail so he suspected trouble and he used the Mason's call out for help before he fell out the window.

In short, I would not be surprised if B.Y. struck a deal with the lynch mob folks and the IL government to set up Smith's ending and those that were in the jail with him. The way the church divided up thereafter is another view of a power struggle within the ranks of LDS inc. B.Y. seemed to be the wealthy opportunist to take control of free land out west and build his own country of citizens where he ruled. Again, remember, J.S. was intending to run for President of the U.S. All of these things are not far from the truth. This is my opinion.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 10:01PM

I don't think Brigham set up Joseph's death. As stated he was in Boston at the time. He didn't make it back to Nauvoo until August 6th.

Brigham definitely did conspire, connive, threaten and conjole his way into leadership.

For some reason I came away with the impression the show said John Taylor was involved in Joseph's death. Seemed an odd theory as he nearly died in Carthage as well.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 10:31PM

I believe the usual conspiracy theory is that John Taylor was involved in BY's death.

As for BY playing a role in JS's, you're right about the Boston problem. It would assuredly have been difficult for him to engage in negotiations with the mob from that remove.

He would also have needed intermediaries, presumably Mormon ones. It's difficult to see how he could have arranged that without word issuing abroad. Moreover, those intermediaries must have close enough relations with the mob leaders to conduct those negotiations with mutual trust, which seems unlikely. And finally, the mob leaders who negotiated with BY would have had to have control over the mob itself.

I don't see any of that as likely. By all accounts the mob formed more or less spontaneously, was not at all organized, and bragged about the murders afterwards. That's not the way assassination plots are formed and implemented.

The theory seems more likely to arise from the Mormon and ex-Mormon penchant for conspiracy theories than from logical review of the evidence.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.