Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 03:12PM

I read this at lunch. I don't think my coworkers would care to discuss whether they think all their is to their mind is a brain.

On the surface it seems silly but it isn't.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101158816

Do I think that there is something more to me than what I am materially? Is my consciousness merely a trick my brain plays on my body to talk it into continuing to survive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 05:23PM

"After Place died in 2000, the university honoured his wish in equally impish fashion, advising visitors that his cerebral organ can be viewed "by appointment only"."

I have a similar policy for my organs.

Consciousness is experienced in the brain, but does originate there? Does it originate in physicality or even in "reality"?

Date: June 30, 2022 05:26PM

They should charge to view it like Lucy Smith's mummies.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 11:52PM

. . . do know that when the brain changes e.g. methamphetamines, Alzheimer's, Pick's disease -- the person definitely changes.
Not at all the same person.

Date: July 01, 2022 09:16AM

Perhaps "brain" is the machinery, "mind" is how one applies/uses that machinery.
Analogy is car & driver, a defect in either results in suboptimal performance.

Where does "choosing" reside? Don't know, but do know that life experience changes both. So for example, think on it a bit - going to school is more than learning "stuff," you learn how to THINK like a (lawyer, educator, doctor, engineer, architect, philosopher, etc.) - and that makes the world an entirely different place for each.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 01, 2022 11:12AM

So learning is mind-bending?

Is there a notable difference based on the veracity of what you learn?

How important a survival trait is the ability to trust, and to be trustworthy?

Random thought: when you’re out of eggs you can’t make French toast.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 01, 2022 11:27AM

Your last line makes me suspect you've been hanging around Judic again. Keep it up. There may be hope for you after all.

Date: July 01, 2022 06:08PM

. . . because making French toast all the eggs end up out of the pan

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a notable difference based on the
> veracity of what you learn?
===============================
So like lawyers & docs working together on a case annoy each other.
Lawyers work in an artificially created knowable system with rules like chess (at least until recently) so there are definite hard lines and they expect definite hard answers. Nature is fuzzy, no hard edges, we didn't create it, so docs live with uncertainty. Demanding hard answers annoys the doc, and the imprecise probabilistic answers of docs annoy the lawyer. Different worlds

> How important a survival trait is the ability to
> trust, and to be trustworthy?
===============================
All could think of was
https://assets.amuniversal.com/6e7ea96079a601332108005056a9545d

;-)

Date: July 02, 2022 08:44PM

I have that list, but I won't be visiting them; I'll just have it handy for if they should happen to show up.

Date: July 01, 2022 11:22AM

Like I interpret Dr.No's remarks--- I think of the brain only as part of the whole. Seeing a brain in a glass case highlights how useless it is on it's own. All dressed up with no where to go.

In my profession I dye a lot of fabric. I find a correlation to this with the brain and with learning.

Absorption has a lot to do with both the brain and with the fabric being dyed. You can put five different fabrics in the same dye bath and you will get five different shades of the same color. Each fabric absorbs or rejects dyes discriminately. Some absorb practically nothing. So go intensely rich. Some go drab. Some go off color favoring the yellow in the dye over the blue. Some are color coated but the color rinses off in the end leaving then with only a slight tint. Like some form of textile alzheimer's?

In the end, no matter what you do to it is still the same cloth made from the same raw goods be it cotton, flax, bamboo or wool.
Just like our bodies we inherit come from different sets of raw goods, different ancestors, whose individual DNA we inherit to become a being that is a new conglomeration slightly different than anything that came before. We come pre-engraved. Every cell of the body.

I like the phrase, "I feel it in my bones" because I do. I feel my father in my bones sometimes. I feel my grandparents in my bones sometimes.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 01, 2022 11:38AM

Love this, D&D.

Wood grain comes to mind. (Mind or brain?)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2022 01:44PM

I used to work in the fabric industry many years ago. My company did a great deal of custom work involving patterns and dyes. Like you, I found it fascinating. I used to spend a lot of time under a light box, trying to match colors and dye lots. Blacks and blues in particular could go in a lot of different directions depending on the light. I still think of that part of my life as my "glam career."

Date: July 01, 2022 12:55PM

Isn't the mind the conscious part of your brain? With emphasis on part of?

The brain can function without the mind--you just won't be aware that bodily functions are still in play.

The mind/consciousness can't function without the brain. Has a destination but no means of transportation. (again copying Dr. No, sorry)

Now some believe that a spirit inhabits the body to run things and is in fact in control of the brain. A spirit sim cart? With the heart as the battery? If true, an awful lot of humanoids need their faulty sim cards replaced. God isn't manufacturing the good stuff anymore. Having supply chain issues like the rest of us and suffering from burn out.

Date: July 01, 2022 02:16PM

What is 'proper brain function'?  (Where would we be without all the improper brain functioning we pay good money for?)

What are the calibration marks 'marking' when they go from 'complete brain malfunction' to '100% brain function'?

And what if, when they measure D&D's brain function, the needle can be seen pushing beyond the 100% mark?

when pheromones provoke a two-person, mutual reaction (centered in the brain, like arousal), why does 'society' get to have a say on when you can or can't follow through?

How come so many people disagree with me!!!  How can society help them?

Date: July 01, 2022 05:25PM

Because you are disagreeable.

Date: July 01, 2022 05:38PM

I guess we're not in disagreement about that!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 01, 2022 06:22PM

elderolddog Wrote:
>     What is 'proper brain function'?  

Does it surprise anyone that EOD has to ask?

Date: July 01, 2022 06:59PM

Maybe we are more than just a brain...

“But this shows the liver can be a major driver of behavior."

https://neurosciencenews.com/liver-brain-behavior-20918/

Date: July 02, 2022 08:30PM

For philosophy I don't know if it could be a brain in a vat regardless of thinking therefore it is. Descartes demon could be out own bodies.

This philosopher puts it this way.

“ All attempts modern or otherwise to fully understand the complexities of the human soul are forms of hubris. The mind is not the same as the brain. Deal with it.”
https://www.thearticle.com/why-cant-academic-philosophers-write

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 09:00PM

It's the "what makes you you" argument.

Date: July 03, 2022 06:10PM

Is what makes you you what goes away under general anesthesia?

https://nautil.us/under-anesthesia-where-do-our-minds-go-20845/

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 06:17PM

Maybe I'm just a brain, maybe I'm a consciousness piloting a body through meat space, I'm not 100% sure.

Date: July 03, 2022 06:24PM

No one has addressed the male brain’s double modality, regular day to day brain v. what I’ll call the penis-directed brain.

What’s up with that?!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 09:51PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> No one has addressed the male brain’s double
> modality, regular day to day brain v. what I’ll
> call the penis-directed brain.
>

You mean "thinking with the other head?"

Date: July 03, 2022 11:26PM

Sí señor

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 04, 2022 12:23AM

But we don't want to sí, señor!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2022 11:14AM

Put that in your diphthong and smoke it.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 11:46PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> I read this at lunch. I don't think my coworkers
> would care to discuss whether they think all their
> is to their mind is a brain.
>
> On the surface it seems silly but it isn't.
>

Aren't you just jumping for joy that your state legislature is going to decide for you?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 04, 2022 08:06AM

I will try to find this study later. I read a paper stating that the fingers of a musician begin moving to the next position on an instrument micro seconds before the brain actually sends the signal. (That may explain my errors in playing). The study challenges the concept where all the brain or intelligence resides in the body.

Date: July 04, 2022 07:16PM

Interesting. I have read that muscle memory is real and that you can train your body to do things with less brain interventions.

Date: July 04, 2022 07:18PM

Learning to walk takes intense concentration . . . But look at us now!

Date: July 04, 2022 07:19PM

Actually it doesn't. It is one of the rare instinctual abilities in humans. We take longer than other animals because our young are so immature for so long.

Date: July 04, 2022 07:34PM

I think you missed my point.

Watching my kids learn to walk, I honestly noted that they were taking it (wait for it!) a step at a time; they were concentrating, but still 'failing'. But they'd get up and try again...

Yes, the urge/desire/need 'to ambulate' is instinctual, but the going from non-ambulatory to ambulatory is not a simple "I couldn't and now I can" process.

Muscle memory, or the autonomic nervous system, is what we're talking about. You don't have to 'think' in order to inhale, etc. We consciously apply the steps of a lesson, Eric with his reed instruments, knotheadusc with her guitars until we no longer have to 'think' each step of the process.

Date: July 04, 2022 09:13PM

I think I didn't understand because I don't know if concentration is what a barely out of babyhood person is doing.

A fawn newly born might look like it is concentrating but who knows if deer do it too?

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 01:33PM

I take the mind to mean consciousness and self awareness. Our ability to talk about this very concept is the ‘mind’. It is a concept to explain what emerges from the brain: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I don’t know if this makes sense. My brain struggles some days. But my mind knows that so I can point it out to look less stupid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.