Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Vahn ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 05:09PM

The church has changed a lot since I left 15 years ago and due to further scrutinization they've definitely softened the way they speak about apostates compared to 15 years ago, let alone 150.

I thought I'd appeal to the community here. Can you post your best quotes from church leadership that damned the apostate? The more modern, the better, but honestly anything will do. Like most things LDS related, they tend to busy their dark past and so it's harder to find these kinds of quotes even though they used to be totally mainstream.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 06:11PM

Here’s one from 2016. Elder Jeffery Holland:

“Don’t you dare bail. I am so furious with people who leave this church. I don’t know whether ‘furious’ is a good apostolic word. But I am. What on earth kind of conviction is that? What kind of patty-cake, taffy-pull experience is that? As if none of this ever mattered, as if nothing in our contemporary life mattered, as if this is all just supposed to be ‘just exactly the way I want it and answer every one of my questions and pursue this and occupy that and defy this – and then maybe I’ll be a Latter-day Saint.’ Well, there’s too much Irish in me for that. This. Church. Means. Everything to me. Everything!… This church means everything to me, and I’m not gonna leave it and I’m not gonna let you leave it.”

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 06:20PM

So much for free agency.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 08:24PM

...It flew like a dodo. The "youth" had already seen this one-act monologue, diatribe, acting-out on YouTube just 3 years prior. It shows that the diaper wearing leaders can't grasp the concept of anything they say/do that seems humorous, prophetic, inspiring, irritating will fly out to the interested Morgbots and won't play again. Look what happened with Brad Wilcox. He used his same racist rant for years and now all 4 speeches are just repeated over and over. Then again it proves how stupid the members and leaders are in the fact they never called him out and just kept allowing him to repeat over and over and over his racist rhetoric. Yet it also shows how dumb they were that they thought they could "cover up" and re-record Poelman's talk and no one had VCR's or remember the original Conference talk...

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 12:23PM

Is this from general conference?

This is just awful. Scary awful.

Date: July 06, 2022 12:50PM

It was from a devotional in Tempe, AZ.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 01:51PM

"This church means everything to me, and I’m not gonna leave it and I’m not gonna let you leave it.”

Battered wife syndrome?

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 06:56PM

Whitney Clayton, 4/21/2016, BYU commencement address -

"The faithless often promote themselves as the wise who can rescue the rest of us from our naïveté. One does not need to listen to assertive apostates for long to see the parallels between them and the Korihors, Nehors, and Sherems of the Book of Mormon. We should disconnect, immediately and completely, from listening to the proselytizing efforts of those who have lost their faith and instead reconnect promptly with the Holy Spirit."

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/l-whitney-clayton/getting-staying-connected/

Further, "damned" in mormonspeak in ambiguous. It can mean outer darkness, or anything but the celestial kingdom, or anything except the top third of the CK. It's rarely specified, but rather left up to the listeners to use whatever definition will make them most compliant. (Same with "hell" – it's not the fundie lake of fire, but mormons use it anyway.)

Date: July 05, 2022 07:46PM

I love when they use the term "Korihor."

They think they're comparing us to an evil, fallen person from the past, when in reality, they're referencing a ridiculous, illogical, eye-roll inducing fictional tale.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 08:06PM

I enjoyed thinking of it as koriwhore, but that was dumb of me.

So now I think of it as koritute.  Much better, right?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 03:54AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 08:58PM

Guilt by association with Laman and Lemuel are us apostates.

"Elder Maxwell said Laman and Lemuel "were provincial, just like forgetful Israel: `and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the Lord, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.'"

https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/1988-01-30/apostasy-led-to-schism-among-nephi-brothers-153954

I'm narrow minded because I don't follow a leader of biblical fan fiction.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.