Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 07:05PM

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2022/07/06/ken-roach-church-state-are

“There’s apparently something about the combination of the LDS religion and Republican politics that results in ignorance and viciousness, perhaps because church and state are inextricably intertwined in Utah. For many of us outsiders, life under the thumb of the Utah Taliban is difficult. If these are Christian values, then please, Lord, save me from your followers.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 06, 2022 09:22PM

Please Joseph, save me from your followers!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 11:35AM

This is a fairly long piece and it really takes a blowtorch to Mormon culture. There was another one about a week ago from a neverMo who spent part of his youth in Utah and attended the U of U. He had fond memories of Utahs. Now when he sees the missionaries, who he often stops and talks to, he wonders if they are Romney Mormons, which is what he in the past had thought most Mormons were, or the kind of Mormon that would boo Romney. That oo-Ed was also pretty biting.

On top of that, Gordon Monson, the Trib sports guy, is doing regular opinion pieces on Mormonism. He sounds totally TBM, but he sees real problems in Mormonism and addresses them. For instance he recently wrote that he was shocked, shocked, I tell you, to find out that a number of people he knows are active members, but don’t believe a word of Mormon theology. He stated there is no way on earth he could pull that off.

I had to laugh when I read that column, thinking of how many people on RFM are either PIMO, or struggling to remain PIMO (physically in, mentally out), or just can’t do it and had to get out.

My point in bringing all this up is that there is a steady stream these days of highly critical analysis of Mormonism. People always said that about the SL Trib, but the current crop of pieces seem to be more deeply analytical. They are not just rants, and they are being submitted by outsiders for the most part, with the exception of Monson.

Zion is taking a drubbing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2022 11:36AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 01:25PM

That's a really good point, there's a lot of members who are active but don't believe a word about the theology. The current leadership doesn't seem to want to adress it, instead it's all about keeping sacred covenants, and thats the answer to every problem, but what does that all mean when people think differently, or live differently.

As for representation within the government this is a systemic problem that faces many regions. In colorado there are communities that whole demographics are hidden away and unable to have a voice in the communities in which they work, the mountain communities all face absent landlords, in utah we've got lots of renters and immigrants, naturally they are less invested in a community if don't own their homes.

Whats to be done I don't know?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 01:35PM

I muddle                        We muddle

You muddle                   You (plural) muddle

He, she, it muddles        They muddle

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 01:37PM

Maybe they could go back to only white male land owner voters. In fairness, I would be more comfortable with only black female voters for a change.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 01:44PM

Truth serums, lie detectors and waiving your self-incrimination rights!!

Then maybe we'd finally ferret out politicians' real agendas!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 12:45AM

With Mormon politicians, you can see the ferret.

Date: July 08, 2022 02:07PM

Maca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a really good point, there's a lot of
> members who are active but don't believe a word
> about the theology. The current leadership doesn't
> seem to want to adress it,

Because current leadership has no answers to the serious questions people have about their lies and hypocrisy.
They painted themselves into a corner there’s no backing out of.

> Whats to be done I don't know?

Let it burn to the ground.
Then salt the earth where it grew out of so that nothing this evil springs up out of that soil again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.