Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 11:31PM

I've visited the monument several times. It's like a mini version of Stonehenge.

The stones were erected in 1983 by a local marble and stone company and paid for by a mysterious "Mr. R.C. Christian" -- thought to be in reality Ted Turner.

Ever since, religious fundamentalists have denounced the monument as "possessed" or "satanic." I'm not surprised that someone has actually gone and finally done it.

This isn't funny any more.

The rhetoric is not just "rhetoric" any longer.

People are being killed, and artistic and cultural sites are being destroyed.

All because religious fanatics want to stir up their followers for their own ends.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/06/1110210885/georgia-guidestones-monument-damaged-explosion

The site received renewed attention during Georgia's May 24 gubernatorial primary when third-place Republican candidate Kandiss Taylor claimed the guidestones are satanic and made demolishing them part of her platform. Comedian John Oliver featured the guidestones and Taylor in a segment in late May. McCarthy said right-wing personalities including Alex Jones had talked about them in previous years, but that "they sort of came back onto the public's radar" because of Taylor.

"God is God all by Himself. He can do ANYTHING He wants to do," Taylor wrote on social media Wednesday. "That includes striking down Satanic Guidestones."

The monument had previously been vandalized, including when it was spray-painted in 2008 and 2014, McCarthy said. She said the bombing is another example of how conspiracy theories "do and can have a real-world impact."

"We've seen this with QAnon and multiple other conspiracy theories, that these ideas can lead somebody to try to take action in furtherance of these beliefs," McCarthy said. "They can attempt to try and target the people and institutions that are at the center of these false beliefs."

https://www.onlineathens.com/story/news/state/2022/07/06/georgia-guidestones-blown-up-what-we-know-explosion-damage-elbert-county-elberton-ga/7824534001/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzKPst743c

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2022 11:54PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DavosFiend ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 01:03AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 06:30AM

The Taliban did that with ancient, priceless, irreplaceable Buddhist monuments -- blew them up, because only *their* flavor of belief matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2022 06:31AM by summer.

Date: July 07, 2022 07:35AM

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 09:24PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Like USA with Civil War statues and public art - and now even changing the name of military bases to get rid of Confederate Soldier names.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 09:36PM

I take it you believe St. Petersburg should still be Leningrad, Volgograd should still be Stalingrad, and it was wrong of all those East Europeans to take down the statues to those visionary Soviet leaders.

Likewise, all those Nazi statues and memorials should still be up and Germany shouldn't have gotten rid of the old Nazi structures with their swastikas merely to erect the Holocaust memorial.

Or am I misreading you?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 04:20PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I take it you believe St. Petersburg should still
> be Leningrad, Volgograd should still be
> Stalingrad, and it was wrong of all those East
> Europeans to take down the statues to those
> visionary Soviet leaders.
>
> Likewise, all those Nazi statues and memorials
> should still be up and Germany shouldn't have
> gotten rid of the old Nazi structures with their
> swastikas merely to erect the Holocaust memorial.
>
> Or am I misreading you?
Wifey!!! You just dont understand!!
I am pure and HOLY! THEREFORE only that which fullfils my agenda is at all viable. So the rest of the world just needs to sit still, shut up, bow your head, and say I DO!
OH OH!! Temple plaigarizing again!!
Well that is life in the fast lane

Date: July 16, 2022 04:29PM

Truth bre told, TDR, I was never a good fit in Mormonism.

Hard to believe, I know. . .

Posted by: AntiFiend ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 09:35AM

Date: July 07, 2022 05:53PM

Or alternatively, BLM activists.

Or, if that doesn't work, they were a deep-state FBI operatives.

Have I missed anything from your standard playbook, caffiend?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 11:15AM

CIA

Posted by: PolitiFiend ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 05:29PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 11:06AM

Asking for a friend...

so the removal and destruction of American soldiers, political statues and memorials is/was acceptable even though they were part of the US history and culture?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 11:18AM

Maybe it's simply good manners that black people won't have to look at memorials to people who fought to keep them enslaved. You think? As far as I know, these statues were mainly carted off to warehouses, where scholars can examine them if they need to do so.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 11:58AM

I was having mixed feelings about it all, but what you say makes me wonder? Why should anyone have a statue? Why does anyone need that worship. Let's get rid of anything than isn't ancient Roman Greek or the like.

In particular the one I can't stand is the Brigham Young by the temple in SLC with a Native American sitting on one side and a trapper on the other as if complicit rather than used. He should be kneeling before the Native American if they are going to leave it there.

Posted by: JimCrick ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 12:13PM

summer Wrote:
> Maybe it's simply good manners that black people
> won't have to look at memorials to people who
> fought to keep them enslaved. You think? As far as
> I know, these statues were mainly carted off to
> warehouses, where scholars can examine them if
> they need to do so.

If you make that argument for one side you have to accept it for the other.

"Maybe it's simply good manners that religious people won't have to look at things that remind them of satanism."

See how hollow the complaint is? Any argument you present against that complaint applies equally to the historical monuments at issue.

It's almost as if it would be healthier to recognize that statues don't harm people unless those people convince themselves they do.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 01:37PM

If it's OK for christians to blow up monuments that they *imagine* to be satanic, then it ought to be equally OK for non-christians to blow up the large public crosses that dot America. Would it be fine with you if someone went and blew up the Jesus of the Ozarks statue in Arkansas?

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 09:26PM

BYU students will be first in line to blow up Touchdown JESUS at Notre Dame?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 12:38PM

For the record, the statues were not destroyed. You're projecting.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 11:42AM

Apparently these are only 75 miles from my hometown, and I’d never even heard of them until yesterday.

Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 12:12PM

An anonymous person/group puts up a monument that says we should get rid of 90% of the earth's population and nobody thought there would be a problem?

You don't even need the "satanic" angle.

Posted by: Chicken N Backpacks ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 07:49PM

Thanos wasn't even that tough on the universe. He only wanted 50% dusted.

Date: July 08, 2022 11:54AM

Remember, this was during the Cold War and the daily fear of nuclear Armageddon.

There was also a lot of talk about overpopulation, limited resources, etc. The Guidestones were kind of a post-nuclear holocaust message to the survivors, so the population limit is a plea to learn from the (destroyed) world and don't repeat our mistakes message.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 12:24PM

The John Oliver take about this topic was good and important to get the back story on this.

Apparently it turns out the guy behind the monument (with KKK ties?) is not exactly coming from the side the people like Kandiss thought. As Oliver says, it puts a whole new light on the comment about population.

The monument seems kind of dumb, kind of like JS on the Spinx statue.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 12:37PM

At least the Joseph Smith sphinx at Gilgal Gardens is kind of endearing in that it is a wonderful metaphor for the WTF goofiness of Mormonism.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 12:37PM

I see the monument similar to lds temples. Goofy mysterious nonsense on the outside. Who knows what behind it.

Posted by: EcumeniFienf ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 01:14PM

...just as Confederate statues have been safely removed to protect the public from toxic sentiments, and installed in storage where "scholars" can "study" them in safety, these obliques [sic] should have been erected at Davos, where our overlords worship and "serve."

That would drive the Q-Anons nuts!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 06:59PM

. . . so, does this mean can check it off mah bucket list?

Date: July 07, 2022 07:39PM

Have you ever seen them or read what is written on them?

When I first saw it, I thought "whoever made this is worried about the end of civilization after a nuclear war."

Turns out that was a good guess.

Where does Mr. Scratch come into this?

Because they were an homage to Stonehenge erected by people in 4500 BCE?

Aligned to the winter and summer solstices and equinoxes?

Where's Satan?

Sleeping?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 03:17PM

The date could have significance for the occult-minded. This wasn't some backwoods hick. For all we know, the sponsor of the guidestones did it to send a message that the depopulation plans on the stones have begun in earnest.

There are riots about survival in Sri Lanka and Europe. There's going to be a lot of starving and maybe freezing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2022 03:27PM by bradley.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 04:02PM

Someone used explosives. Why wasn't FBI called in ?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 05:16PM

anybody Wrote:
> "God is God all by Himself. He can do ANYTHING He
> wants to do," Taylor wrote on social media
> Wednesday. "That includes striking down Satanic
> Guidestones."

But, evidently, striking it down only partially. So either God wasn't all that upset about the monument (which He left unmolested for many years) or that's the best He could do.

Posted by: One ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 05:33PM

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/north-dakota/mystical-horizons-stones-nd/

Do the people in North Dakota now have to post 24 hour guards on their "stonehenge"?

Or do so few people live there that it doesn't matter?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 09, 2022 08:58PM

What about Carhenge?

Posted by: noMoMolly ( )
Date: July 13, 2022 06:45PM

This makes me so sad. I have been there and it was beautiful. I am disappointed in who ever blew this up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.