Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 10:06PM

https://www.heraldextra.com/faith-2/2022/jul/22/lds-church-dedicates-monument-to-utahs-black-pioneers/

They are being honored for their dedication to the church. As I understand it they didn't have much choice in the matter. Or am I mistaken?

But like Dave Bednar likes to remind us, free agency is not real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 10:43PM by slskipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 10:32PM

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/us/utah-black-pioneers-monument-reaj/index.html

Now this guy, Estevenico ("Stevie") had been a slave, but became a true explorer and pioneer. Along with Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca and two other men, he was one of the first explorers since the Vikings to set foot in North America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estevanico

Dorantes took Azemmouri as his slave on Pánfilo de Narváez's expedition of 1527 to colonize Florida and the Gulf Coast. They left Cuba in February 1528, intending to establish two settlements in present-day Mexico at the Isla de las Palmas near today's Tampico. The Narváez fleet was forced by strong winds to sail to Florida. They landed in Boca Ciega Bay in April 1528. After failed efforts to locate villages with gold near present-day Tampa Bay and after enduring numerous attacks by Native Americans, Narváez split his forces, hoping to find a better place for settlement at a large bay to the north. He ordered the ships to sail north along the coast, with Narváez and 300 men traveling overland, planning to rejoin the land force with the ships at the large harbor. There is no large harbor north of their landing site, and the ships and the land expedition did not meet again. After traveling 300 miles north to the St. Marks River, Narváez determined they could reach Panuco by sailing westward along the coast. The estimated 250 survivors slaughtered their horses, melted down metals from bridles and stirrups, and made five boats to try to sail along the coast Gulf of Mexico to reach the main Spanish settlement at Pánuco. The boats wrecked off the coast of Texas, and most of men aboard the boats were lost at sea. About 80 surviving men washed ashore, and most were killed or died in the ensuing six years of captivity by native Indians. Eventually only Azemmouri, Dorantes, Cabeza de Vaca and Castillo remained alive.[11] The four spent years enslaved on the Texas barrier islands.[4]

In 1534 the four survivors escaped into the American interior and became medicine men. As medicine men they were treated with great respect and offered food, shelter, and gifts, and villages held celebrations in their honor. When they decided they wanted to leave, the host village would guide them to the next village.[12] Sometimes as many as 3,000 people would follow them to the next village.[13] The party traversed the continent as far as western Mexico, into the Sonoran Desert to the region of Sonora in New Spain (present-day Mexico). After finding a small Spanish settlement, the four survivors travelled 1,000 miles to the south to Mexico City, arriving in July 1536.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 11:14PM

*Puke* Let’s honor people who weren’t good enough to hold the priesthood and the church purposefully shunned. They are trying to reinvent history again by making it look like blacks were looked at as equals. Sick PR and propaganda and it’s insulting.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 02:08AM

Will the GAs hurt bc of patting themselves on the back?

Lots are waiting to find out...

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 05:14PM

They should create a statue for every adult, child, and baby executed at Mountain Meadows. They could spread them out over the actual killing field. Men holding white flags, a mom and baby executed.....people would never forget visiting THAT Mormon memorial.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 07:16PM

I’ll chip in for That, Villager !!

Let’s ask mods if OK to solicit $$$ donations

I Dream that wide support - for even something a bit more than current - would prompt them or embarrass the Q 15/ other GAs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 08:58PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 08:07PM

Yikes, I don't see this aging well at all. But the brethren (oaks Nelson team) are going full woke, they've decided it's time to pander, certain groups must be cajoled, and tears must be shed. This is only a portion of what's going on, i hate to spread gossip but ... Down at the cob there's rumblings right now, murmurings and backbiting over who's getting promoted, who's being allowed into the tabernacle choir ahead of other very talented candidates, who's getting to preside on certain commities,

Bednard even acknowledged that the future isn't with the current population but in Africa and the Philopeans. I ran my fingers through July's church news and it's no longer utah pioneer celebration but 'pioneers in every land'

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 10:13PM

Whenever I see the word "woke" it is generally written by a radical right wing extremist douchebag.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 10:18PM

I tried reading Maca's post without the word "woke" and you know what? I still reached your conclusion.

Funny, no?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2022 08:50PM

Mormonism doesn't mention it because they are like Islam - slaves to God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.